exercise ideas

Options
amea412
amea412 Posts: 15 Member
once i'm 300 lbs, I'd love to start exercising. That's about 37 lbs away.I know I'll still be embarrassed to go to a gym or anything like that,do any of you know of a good DVD that's low impact for someone just beginning and is VERY out of shape? Thanks!

Replies

• kimmisatch
    Options
    Wii games are really good if you don't want to go out. There is a Biggest Loser one that is really fun, and other fit and sport ones.

Unsure re DVDs sorry - there are so many out there.

You don't need to be ashamed going to a gym, I'm over 300 pounds and I go to the gym, even do classes, sometimes I can't keep up and just do the lower impact options. No one cares, everyone is there for the same reason - they want to be fit and healthy. And if they did think anything - who ares, you are there for YOU not them.

Keep up the awesome work :smile:
  • sbcass
    sbcass Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Try water aerobics at your local Y, gym, or aquatic center. I have lost almost 80 lbs (I was almost 350 lbs) by doing mostly water aerobics.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Can't help you about DVDs, I found that I just didn't have the willpower with them. But at 365 I do go to the gym, not as conscientiously as I should, but I go. And I'm slowly building into a routine. Don't let embarrassment stop you.
  • KarlDR
    KarlDR Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I understand the frustration. I'm 6'5" and started at over 442lbs (my scales only go up that high so I had to do a few days before they would even weigh me!), so I know it can be really hard to exercise when you're very big, and like you I'm to embarrassed to go the gym or the pool.

Personally, I quite like using Dance Central on the xbox/kinect as it seems like more of a game than a workout. I also use the Biggest Loser Boot Camp DVD. It is fairly intense, at the moment I only manage about 20 mins at a time, but the people working out do so at different levels, so you can follow the people doing the more basic moves. Also simple walking is quite beneficial when you are big - just carrying all the weight around makes it quite effective at burning calories (a 20 minute walk at a reasonable pace burns over 200 calories for me).

One thing to bear in mind is that it doesn't really matter too much what you do or which DVD you get - as long as you raise your heartbeat and get a sweat on you're doing really well! Just start out simple, pick up any aerobics type DVD and just do what you can at the level you can manage. If your heart rate is elevated you will be burning calories. Take it from there and build up, try to go a bit further into the routine each day.

One final bit of advice, if you're like me and can't manage a full hour workout, remember to cool down gradually, don't just stop dead and sit down as you can end up with sore muscles.

Edit: I would also say that there's probably no reason to wait till you hit 300 to start exercising, even if it's just light. If I can do it anyone can!
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Before I started going to the gym I really enjoyed the Walk Away the Pounds DVD's. They have walks ranging from 1-5 miles, you can start slow and just do what you can, before you know it you ill be rockin that 5 miles!
  • kimmisatch
    Options
    Try water aerobics at your local Y, gym, or aquatic center. I have lost almost 80 lbs (I was almost 350 lbs) by doing mostly water aerobics.

I agree with this - swimming is such good low impact high calorie burning exercise. Aqua jogging is good too.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    i just bought the wii fit! it's so much fun. the max weight for the balance board is 330...so anything under that and you are good to go! :)
  • mortla
    mortla Posts: 73
    Options
    This may sound silly but I found some videos on youtube that are chair aerobics. I am 425 lbs and my back goes out really fast. Tonight was the first night I tried it and it was tough! I only did it for 10 minutes but it's better than my 0 minutes of exercise. I felt a little corny doing it but I have to move my body somehow. I liked this option best because it's FREE :)
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Can't help you about DVDs, I found that I just didn't have the willpower with them. But at 365 I do go to the gym, not as conscientiously as I should, but I go. And I'm slowly building into a routine. Don't let embarrassment stop you.

If only MFP had a like button. I've been in the gym since 530lbs. You can do this!
  • BrandyRelaxing
    BrandyRelaxing Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Before I started going to the gym I really enjoyed the Walk Away the Pounds DVD's. They have walks ranging from 1-5 miles, you can start slow and just do what you can, before you know it you ill be rockin that 5 miles!

I agree! The Leslie Sansone Walk at home or Walk away the Pounds DVDs are great! I started doing them - started with the 1 mile one, and then when I was feeling amazing, I did the 2 mile one and now the 3 mile one is totally achievable!
  • Fred77
    Fred77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    joining the gym when you are really overweight is the most daunting thing in the world. you walk in, and the perception is that its full of meatheads crunching weights and with not an ounce of fat on them. But, and this is the thing for me, I know i cant do this by dieting alone. I need to be exercising. The way i see it, I have no issue at all ordering in food from a Chinese or Indian takeaway, I have no issues with going into Macdonalds or Kentucky Fried, I have no issues doing the food shopping. I have no doubt at all that when i am doing all these things, the people delivering/serving me are thinking, is it any wonder i'm so fat if i'm eating junk all the time. (Even though its not the case that i do eat junkfood all the time, but thats what someones perception will be), but in the gym, they will be thinking more alongh the lines of "wow, he;'s fat, but at least he is trying to lose it". Since i started going to the gym and swimming, in actual swimming trunks too :-), i had to get in and out of the pool with people watching. Was it embarrassing. yes. does it get less embarrassing with each visit. yes. do you meet people and make friends. yes. So my advice to anyone worrying about joing a gym, is dont. they want to see you in there. The staff at the gym want you to join, they know how to help you, they will encourage and assist you, and better still, you will meet people who you can go the gym with!
  • asuicidalkissx3
    Options
    This might sound strange, but I LOVEEEEE! richard simmons videos. I own nine of them and have started doing 1 or 2 a day depending on the length of the video. My first weight loss goal is to lose 110 pounds to be 220, after that I aspire to go as low as I can go without looking like i'm sick!

Feel free to add me!
  • deniseselah
    deniseselah Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly but I found some videos on youtube that are chair aerobics. I am 425 lbs and my back goes out really fast. Tonight was the first night I tried it and it was tough! I only did it for 10 minutes but it's better than my 0 minutes of exercise. I felt a little corny doing it but I have to move my body somehow. I liked this option best because it's FREE :)

@mortia - Don't feel silly - I do chair aerobics too!

OP: I was in the gym at 370+ pounds, on the elliptical and the weight machines, with my headphones blasting. I second everyone who says that people are more concerned about themselves than you. I had several *encouraging* smiles and nods when I first started, then I became a regular and there were several others there my size.

I have also done water aerobics - been a little nervous but I just kept my focus on me and my health and why I was there. Went with a friend a few times too. And I took an ENORMOUS beach towel :) - it helped!

And in the interest of full disclosure I need to take my own advice and GO BACK to the gym - I personally need to get over all of the 'regulars' asking "where have you been for the past 3-6-9 months?!"

Let go of the thought of being embarassed. WE support you! :heart: I painted myself into a corner b/c of shame, and it took me a LONG time to get out, to realize that *I* am here for *me* - and that all the people with opinions about my size don't know me, don't care and don't matter.
  • phatdivabbw
    phatdivabbw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym. I like going when it isn't crowded. Everyone is friendly and helpful. (Sometimes too helpful when you want to do your own thing and everyone wants to give you some advice.) I've learned that doing something is better than nothing. You will feel better and your body will love you for it. Don't wait until you are a certain size. BTW I'm 430. The only thing I would change is the locker room. The adults are okay but the children stare and make comments like "Mommy look at that ladies butt or Mommy look at that fat lady." Leaving their parents embarrassed and apologetic. (rolling my eyes) There are a few changing rooms attached to the shower stall but they are so small and cramped I never have enough room and my clothes get wet so I change out in the open. In the summer I will wear my suit and change when I get home.

Anyway......I almost got lost on a tangent. Go to the gym! Do any workout video that you like and invest in a XBOX Kinect!

Good Luck.:flowerforyou:
  • heatherhauptli
    heatherhauptli Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym. I go 5 days a week. I work out in the same room as skinny ladies and body builder guys. I am always the biggest person in the gym. I don't give a crap. Whatever. The VERY RARE sideways glance I may get is not a big deal - that person obviously has their own issues and at least I'm dealing with mine. Look, at this size, we've put up with a LOT of crap and we've got tougher skin then most. Suck it up and go to the gym. As they say - "Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid."
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I love my pilates for strengthening up and feeling better about exercise! However I go to a class at my gym, and I suspect it's much harder trying to learn how it should be done from a dvd or book. I've also been going to the gym since I was 406 lbs... and to my pilates class too. Look for more "community" gyms, not the ones that go out to attract the body builders. I go to a gym that does "exercise referrals" from doctors. That means I rub shoulders with the cardiac rehab people, the diabetics who need careful monitoring at first, stroke rehab... but also random people from the local community, black/white, old/young, you name it.

I will reiterate what people have said. Any movement is good movement. Find a mall in the early morning when it's empty, and walk. Those places usually have plenty of sit down spots. Or any of the console dance/exercise games. Or a walking dvd. Whatever you can manage. Even if you start at 5 minutes at a time.

Just start now. You can wait until your 300 lbs and still feel weak, or you can start now, get stronger as you go. The time will pass anyway, you may as well use it to your advantage!
  • horndame
    horndame Posts: 16
    Options
    I take classes at the gym and I am the fattest person in the room. But I don't care. And you know what? No one else does, either! Seriously! :smile:

All of my instructors offer modifications during the workouts. Or, if you have the funds, get a personal trainer for one-on-one coaching and have it tailored just for you (or do group training, and split the cost with your friends).

If you're really nervous, see if you can go with someone you know the first couple of times. I promise...once you're in there, you'll be glad you did it.

Even when a certain exercise is super hard and I have to really, REALLY modify, I just remind myself that everyone is so involved in his or her own fitness journey (or picking up the kids, work stress, what's for dinner)...they don't have any time to worry about my big ol' butt! :bigsmile:

Good luck in whatever you decide!
  • Evningstar81
    Evningstar81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    One of the DVD's I have used at home to help build up my tolerance to working out is Leslie Sansone's Walk at home. She has several DVD's and they range from begginer to what I like to call "crack Leslie". Below is a link to her begginer video's

http://www.lesliesansonevideos.com/#beginners ls