Just wondered....

Options
T0M0
T0M0 Posts: 250 Member
How long do you leave it between getting up in the morning and going out for your run. Just curious as i much prefer to run first thing in the morning rather than later in the day.

Once I'm up and awake i feel i could be up and out within 20 minutes of waking. I don't do this as i worry i need to take on fuel and get all systems going so to speak....

What's your thoughts on this ?

Replies

• Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Well.

I go out first thing and unless I'm doing more than 6 miles I just drink water and then go for it.

so I'm out of the door within 15 mins of waking.

I then fuel up as soon as I get home.

I do however take a few suppliments to help.

I always take L Glutamine before I run and it helps my muscles recover big style.

I'm ramping it up over the next few months for my marathon training so I'll have to have some slow burn like porridge or something before I go otherwise I get fatiqued really quickly.

Hope that helps.

Tim
  • flvsusandy
    flvsusandy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It depends on how long I'm running that day. If I'm running under 5 miles I will run without fuel and can be out the door in 30 minutes. I make sure I down a bottle of water before heading out. If I am running 5+ I need to fuel before hand and make sure I have plenty of time to let the plumbing work per say and give it about 45 minutes. I can't eat much before I run otherwise I get horrible side sitches. I'm currently in week 8 of marathon training so that may change because I may try adding a bagel to my morning routine. :)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    20 minutes - bathroom, brush, change into running shirt, eat half a banana, dress for the cold weather, shoes on, out the door.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I usually take ~ 25 minutes to get out the door.

Wake up at dark o' thirty, pre-run dump, get dressed and head out. I run on an empty stomach, so that makes it easy.

Bottom line, like other running things some trial and error is all it takes.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I get up bowl of porridge, dressed and go - total time 20-30 mins. This is for runs up to about 12-13k, anyhting longer and I tend to run a bit later in the day.
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I go to the bathroom and go. I know people that have coffee and eat, etc. I can't do it, in fact race days bug me, because I can't roll out of bed and onto the starting line. I guess everyone has a routine.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've expiremented around and found....it doesn't really matter to me. I've not noticed any differences regardless of my routine.

I've gotten up & eaten, waited 2 hours then went running.
    And I've rolled out of bed, hit the bathroom and took off.
    I've also got up, not eaten but took my time getting rolling before running too.

Based solely on sleep conservation I like just getting up & taking off.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    If I'm working, I'll get up, roll out the door...if I'm not working, I usually wait a couple of hours...drink coffee, use the bathroom, get the kiddo off to school..I prefer running in daylight. That's really the only difference in my preference.