What do you do to get in your exercise when working long shi

Options
mccarol1956
mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
Just curious about what everyone does to get exercise working our long tiring shifts?

Replies

• LJV1031
    LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Take the steps, walk around, try not to eat a bunch of junk, and head to the gym after work. That's my usual routine... Though hard to skip the junk food.
  • trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It's a push, but I either do a dvd or go to the gym prior to work. So I usually start at 3 pm...so if i go to gym i like to be at gym no later than 1 pm so I can leave for work like at 2:15. I am usually up at 11 am, so if i do a dvd i will do that first then eat then go to work.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit which tracks my steps and flights of stairs. I have to park in a garage pretty far away from my work place. I choose to take the longest route both to and from. I take the stairs. On my 2 15 minute breaks I walk for at least 5 of them. On my lunch break I walk for 10, some of that being stairs. I work in the OR so if it is a slow day I will walk on my downtime.
  • Honey219
    Options
    That is actually the problem I am having, I'm really just starting out trying to incorporate more exercise into my life. So far I try to do some workout videos on the days I am off and occasionally take the stairs at work. The plan I have for myself is to consistently take the stairs, do long workouts on my days off and short workouts before going in. I only work 3 days a week, but working nights leaves me tired all of the time plus on the days I am off I feel most awake at nights. Can't wake up the whole house to do a workout dvd.
  • mccarol1956
    Options
    Just curious about what everyone does to get exercise working our long tiring shifts?

Forgot to add what I do. I work 3 nights on one off. 3 nights on and 7 off. On my one day off I go on a walk for a minimum of 4.5 miles before I go home from work. Then the next day I get up early to go do my volunteer work at the Marine Mammal Center then walk anywhere from 5-8.3 miles before I go home to sleep for work that night. On my 7 days off I usually hike 2 6 mile hikes on the first 2 days off, one 8-9 mile hike on the 3rd day off, then a 12+ mile hike on the 4th day off, then the 5th day I only walk a couple easy miles. The 6th day off is my day of rest. I try to walk another 2-3 miles the day I go back to work. I try to get over 20 miles of hiking and walking per week.

I need to start incorporating other activities other than cardio but am not sure what it would be yet.
  • jdevrich
    Options
    I do a workout DVD or do Wii fit when I get home from work. I'm home by 4 most days unless I have to stay on call. My DS who is 4 likes to exercise with Mommy so I can get it in while spending time with him. I don't know how those of you who work nights do it! And those who work 12's! I used to do 12's and was useless by the time I got home!
  • mccarol1956
    Options
    I have a fitbit which tracks my steps and flights of stairs. I have to park in a garage pretty far away from my work place. I choose to take the longest route both to and from. I take the stairs. On my 2 15 minute breaks I walk for at least 5 of them. On my lunch break I walk for 10, some of that being stairs. I work in the OR so if it is a slow day I will walk on my downtime.

Really curious about the fitbit, do you like it? Is it easy to use and pretty accurate? I have been looking at it and the bodybugg. I think so far I prefer the fitbit because it is supposed to link to this sight. Can you tell me your experience with it?
  • rjsgirl2009
    rjsgirl2009 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I am at work I try to use the stairs as much as possible. I work on the top floor of a 3 story building.
  • dnewton123
    Options
    I force myself to workout no matter what time I get home, sometimes I workout in the morning before work. I only take one day off which for me is Sunday.
  • kelliekoehlmoos
    Options
    I struggle skipping the junk food at work when the other nurses bring in treats for the breakroom. I was doing really well and I caved in two days ago...
  • tnrunningnurse
    Options

Really curious about the fitbit, do you like it? Is it easy to use and pretty accurate? I have been looking at it and the bodybugg. I think so far I prefer the fitbit because it is supposed to link to this sight. Can you tell me your experience with it?
    I just love my fitbit, I have worn it while running with my Garmin and it is pretty darn accurate.
  • GettinMyLifeBck
    GettinMyLifeBck Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I work 4 nights a week so I workout at least 3-4 times a week. If im not too tired when I get off I hit the gym...
  • normer
    normer Posts: 10
    Options
    I make sure that I do a 20 min run/walk between nights and on my days off I add more,,, Still hard to resist those night shift snack attacks though.
  • tenshiblue
    tenshiblue Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I know I should workout when I do these long night shifts but I can't get enough energy to wake up early to workout. Unfortunately I only really get to workout on my days off.
  • sjbarlow4
    Options
    I have such a hard time doing anything after a long night shift... how do you still have the energy??
  • Honey219
    Options
    I have such a hard time doing anything after a long night shift... how do you still have the energy??

I agree! When I get home I'm exhausted. I only work 3 12's per week but even on my days off the night shift has me exhausted.
  • kelliekoehlmoos
    Options
    I couldnt agree more. Im always so tired. I just started working out in January after I get off work.
  • tnrunningnurse
    Options
    I also work 3 12 hour shifts. I only do what I consider dedicated workouts on my 4 days off...mostly running since I am training for a couple of 1/2 marathons. I do mix in some abdominal work and I am working on getting the motivation to add some weights into the mix. As far as the fatigue factor...excercise gives your energy once you start doing it on a regular basis. I highly recommend to anyone trying to lose weight or become more active that you invest in a fitbit or some kind of device that tracks your steps and calories burned. I make a point on days I work to take the longest routes...to take the stairs....and to take walks when the OR allows.