Welcome to the beginning!

Options
Kamalalue
Kamalalue Posts: 87 Member
I am at a point in my life, that it is time to make a change. Not a half-hearted change - but a "all in" sort of change.

The other night, I realized a couple of things...

1) I have almost 200 lbs to lose.

2) I did this to myself, and there is no one to blame but me.

3) It has been a long time since I have lived.

Has anyone had any recent epiphanies or realizations of their own?

Replies

• Acacia_raye
    Acacia_raye Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am really new with this site, but I also have 200 lbs to lose to be at the high end of my healthy weight.

i have recently come to relize that

-i need to be healthier so i can have a long life.
    -this weight is just holding me back.

but i think if we can support each other we can lose the weight.
  • ljwile
    Options
    Hi, I too have come to the same realizations! My boyfriend and I have made the decision to lose weight and get fit. We have been at it since Jan 19th....have lost around 16 lbs and I can already feel the difference in my clothes and my energy level. I have over 200 to lose and am committed to doing it the right way. I considered gastric bypass a year or so ago but just wasn't comfortable with the risk involved. I started seeing a nutritionist at that time but didnt stick with it. Now, I am committed and so exicted about the results I have seen in such a short time. I am realistic and know it wont always be so...but am rejoicing in what i have done so far...:)
  • Kamalalue
    Options
    Hi Acaciartaylor!

I am so happy to have a response so quickly! I too will only be at the high end of my healthy weight, if I lose 200 lbs. I would love to make this journey together - I know that we could be a great support to each other!

What are you plans for food and exercise? Could you tell me a little about yourself?

Looking forward to starting this journey together!

Katie (Kamalalue)
  • Kamalalue
    Options
    Hi ljwile!

I am so glad to hear that you are having good results - it really gives me hope!

I also am trying to do this with my significant other - it sometimes helps, but other times it makes it harder!

I would be grateful if you would join me for this journey!

Katie (Kamalalue)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I had 155 lbs to go when I started here. that's down to 139 to go now. So I got 10% of what I wanted to, so far!

I got tired chasing my nephew around and when the nephews and nieces get busy playing at family gatherings I'm hopeless to keep up so plant myself near the pond in case any get too close, or near the waters edge when I'm down home. Makes me come across anti-social I suppose but I can do more from that post than I could if I had to run across the field.

I got on a ride at an amusement park and they couldn't get the belt to fasten.. so I had to get off... well that was a let down and an embarrassment as I held up the ride enough to throw off their schedule... I haven't been back to the park since.

I eat the food I love just in smaller portions. I personally choose to have full fat milk and full fat miracle whip instead of the reduced fat / taste varieties. I can achieve the 33% reduced fat by using 1/3 less product (don't get me wrong I use miracle whip I think 5 times a year)

I want to get in shape for when I have kids of my own so I can chase them freely and play with them until THEY get tuckered out not ME.
  • Kamalalue
    Options
    I understand a lot of what you wrote. (These are things that I am not proud of.) But, it is the exact reason that I started this group.

It hurts my heart to think about all the times that I sat at the water's edge, so that I wouldn't have to put on a swim suit. (And I LOVE swimming.)

We went to Las Vegas and found out that the weight limit to ride the donkeys or horses was 250lbs... yeesh, I haven't seen that number in years!

After hearing about a celebrity that was hassled and intentionally embarrassed on an airplane because of their size - it is a good thing that I convinced my fiance to "treat ourselves", and upgrade to first class... because I would have never fit in the coach seats.

I have spent time going back and forth on whether it is right or not right, to be limited by society's idea of what my size should be. When it comes down to it - it doesn't matter. I am not happy the way I am, and it is time to make some changes to the things that I can control.

Pandorian - It will all be worth it, the day we have our own children and we can outlast them!

Welcome to the future, it starts today!
  • Acacia_raye
    Acacia_raye Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Pandorian-I used to work at a theme park, i couldn't fit on the rides either, & i loveeee roller coasters.

Kamalalue- i would love to have the support & give the support as well.
    Well a little about me, um i'm 21, 350 pounds, I live in California.
    My plans...i really don't have a plan other than start eating healthier, i stopped drinking soda, everything in moderation. Plus i have the myfitnesspal app on my phone so it helps to log everything i eat. exercise wise, i like to walk, i am trying to do the couch to 5k program, but i don't like to go out running/walking alone. so i have not gone by myself yet. & at work i am on my feet walking the store helping guest so i walk a lot.

I would love to know a little about your plan as well, & i really look forward to reaching our goals together
  • calgurl855
    Options
    Hi Ladies-I'm so happy that I was able to find this group. I have a little over 200lbs to loose and discussing weight loss with someone who is struggling with 15lbs is not my idea of a fun time. I am a full time grad student and I just want to be healthy. I want to not worry about my size at every turn. I want to take trips and not worry about having to purchase two seats on the plane. I just want to have a fun life and lets face it being this size causes for a lot of unpleasantness. I hope we can be a source of motivation and support for one another.
  • Kamalalue
    Options
    Acacia -

Did I ever answer your question? LOL I thought I had, but I do not see the post under this topic. Let me know.

Calgurl -

I completely agree, I was having trouble relating to the individuals who had small amounts of weight to lose and thought their world was coming to an end, over 10 pounds. I can't wait until my weight doesn't define me or dictate my capabilities!

I look forward to sharing this journey with like-minded individuals!
  • Rachel507
    Rachel507 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Can I get an amen to everyone's comments here!!! hahahha I think its great that everyone on MFP wants to be healthier, but I love the fact that I can talk within this group about having to lose a lot of weight, not just trying to lose 15 lbs so I can fit into my bikini this summer! I too had the amusement park experience where it took 4 teenage boys trying to pry me in a ride at great america only to have one of them say, she's just to fat! I told him your just to mean and let me get off. Total embarassing moment. Also, my sister who weighs around 320 moved to alaska 2 years ago and i have so wanted to go visit her but cannot afford to by 2 tickets. We may be sisters but my weight is in my butt and hers in her stomach so she has no issues fitting in a plane seat.
    My diet plan so far has been higher lean proteins, and lower carbs. I still eat carbs, but healthier carbs found in fruits , veggies, oatmeal, nuts, etc. I let myself have a cheat day 2-3 times a month to boost my metabolism. I also drink 1 can of diet coke a day and then water the rest of the time. i'll have a protein shake for breakfast which I add a banana and a teaspoon or so of peanut butter. Its yummy and full of energy for the morning. I'm always looking for ideas on how others are doing their diet plan so keep em coming!
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I joined in a weekly challenge in another group recently (mentioned I'd like to lose at least 2lb per week) and was told by one member that someone my size (aiming at losing 90kg) should have no problem losing 2lb per week in fact I should be aiming for more...etc.... In other words where's the challenge for me. LOL I was just trying to be sociable.

Planes: My daughter recently moved interstate taking my brand new granddaughter with her. It's far too far to drive often so my aim is to be catching the cheap flights (hand luggage only) on a regular basis.

Was watching the women's' golf last week - I love playing golf - and was thinking to myself "Did I really used to play 18 holes a couple of times a week?" How the hell did this happen? It's inspired me though. I'm getting back out there.

Oh, 54yo Australian here.

Love cooking and eating fresh produce - obviously too much. My other problem is that I love red wine too much also.

Thanks Kamalalue for this great thread.
  • allsmile
    allsmile Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I can totally relate to EVERYTHING here. I dread when I have to travel for work because I'm always afraid I won't have enough room on the airplane. I haven't been to an amusement park in probably 8 years because the last time I went I just barely fit (and I've "grown" since then). I have an awesome son who's 4 and all the boy does is run. I'd like to be able to at least get closer to being able to keep up with him.

I'd also like to have another child someday. I was on WW 5 years ago and got down to my lowest weight in recent year just as I got pregnant. I've been somewhat trying for a year or so now and I'm pretty convinced that if I could just lose some weight things would work out like that again.

I'm right now down about 25 lbs from my highest weight, but I've been hovering in the same area for a year or so. I'm ready to fully commit this time! I'm mainly just trying to stay within my calories each day, no drastic changes in eating just yet. I do take one day a week off from the diet. It's nice to have one day that I can look forward to when I can have some of the foods that I just don't allow myself the rest of the time. I actually generally don't end up eating THAT badly on my off day, but it's a nice break. For exercise, I've joined a gym and have been doing some cardio (blegh I hate it) and strength training on my own. I just purchased 4 sessions with a personal trainer to get some good workout ideas, but I don't think I can afford to keep going after that.

Whew! I'm wordy today. Anyway, I'm glad to have found this group and would love some new weight loss buddies. Please anyone feel free to add me as a friend :)

Vicki
  • Kamalalue
    Options
    Rachel507 -

I am going to have to try that breakfast protein shake - it sounds awesome! I too have had my share of embarrassing moments... I am sure that we all have. The moments that stun you, and instantly make you want to escape...honestly, there are too many to count...

There was one time, that I had gone to Blue Harbor - which is the local indoor waterpark. It wasn't that I was comfortable being in a swim suit in front of that many people, but I really LOVE to swim. So the couple of hours that I was there, I got the normal disapproving looks and stares - but nothing really offensive, until I was in the locker room changing to go home. A small child - I am assuming she was 4 years old, was in the locker room. I am half changed, when she looks at me and says, "You have a big butt." I did not say anything, but the person with the girl instantly scolded her, "You say your sorry!" The girl looked at me and then back at the lady and said nothing - but looked really confused. It dawned on me that the girl was not sure what she was supposed to apologize for. I left as quickly as I could, but it was not fast enough for my liking. I know that the girl was telling the truth as she saw it, I think that was the worst of it all. Out of the mouths of babes...

Lemon Snap -

I know what you mean... the group that you were a part of, and the judgement. They think that it is so easy to drop large amounts of weight... Damned if we do, damned if we don't!

Just keep doing what you are doing and soon you will be golfing again!

YOU ARE WELCOME!!!! I love the fact that there are so many people like me, who gain insight by sharing their experiences. I personally find it to be good therapy to get out the bad, so I can let it go. : )

allsmile -

Sounds like you have a great plan! I hate cardi too - but I know that I need to start exercising, or I will no longer see weight loss. I used to do pilates, the instructors told me that if I wanted to lose any real weight - that I would need to move my body.

You have an advantage of having a son - who I am sure can just go, go, go!!!

Never underestimate what you are capable of!