loosing that awful steriod weight :(

I am 23, have had crohns since i was young, and have been on steroids since Sept. I am getting married in august and i need to get this extra weight off. I have started exercising doing a 1/2 of step aerobics a day and Zumba for an hour twice a week. I started using Humara for my disease and am starting to see a difference so hopefully i can eat normally again. Any advice??? please please please????

Replies

• Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    I am 23, have had crohns since i was young, and have been on steroids since Sept. I am getting married in august and i need to get this extra weight off. I have started exercising doing a 1/2 of step aerobics a day and Zumba for an hour twice a week. I started using Humara for my disease and am starting to see a difference so hopefully i can eat normally again. Any advice??? please please please????

Steroids are evil. I was on them for a long time and it pretty much made my life so miserable. I gained so much weight with it. Its been years since I have taken prednisone and I would not wish that drug on any of my worst enemy. I know steroids make you want to munch all the time. My suggestion would be keep carrots, celery, and other veggies and fruit you can tolerate to snack on. Also water, water, water...hehe. Also add a couple more workouts a week if you can. This helped me with pain management as well as stress management.

I am currently medication free. I take herbal supplements and enzymes prescribed by my doc, who is a Naturopathic doc. It has worked wonders for me and I have been pretty much in remission. Yes, I may have a bad day but it is so much better than taking meds which the side effects are sometimes worse than the disease itself.

Namaste
  • dahvishont02
    dahvishont02 Posts: 50 Member
    I am trying to lose my steroid weight as well. I did lose it before my wedding, but my weight now is weight gained from my flare 2 months after my wedding.

What i would say is that the thing that helps me the most is portion contriol. I took 4 weeks to train my body to get used to smaller portions. When I was on the prednisone, I couldn't stop eating. I was stuffing my face constantly with large portions of carbs. Me, my husband, and my friend lost 20 lbs from a diet that we followed. It helped to not have to think about food because the plan had the food laid out for each day. I am the only one out of the group that has not kept the weight off since I started stuffing face with bread again. But I am doing the diet yet again to get programmed with the healthy choices again. Let me know if you would like me to send it to you.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Hey

Humira worked wonders for me. And the steroids are evil - good advice above.
  • AriadneSnow
    AriadneSnow Posts: 131 Member
    You have my sympathies, I've only been on steroids for short periods of time thankfully, so losing the weight was manageable. I would echo the advice given above - carrots and celery to fill up your stomach - perhaps I nice filling vegetable soup? That's if your system can handle it. Salted popcorn is another thing which is relatively low on calories but filling.

I would also suggest increasing your exercise if your illness allows for it - home exercise DVDs are great - you're always near a toilet if you need to go.
  • kimkwilliams5
    kimkwilliams5 Posts: 3 Member
    I understand the steroid use and losing the weight. I gained 80lbs in 12 weeks- that's not good for a body. That was three years ago and since then I have lost 120lbs and had another baby :) I started exercising, but I truly feel diet is a MAJOR part. I counted calories for the first 50 lbs, but I always felt hungry. I now follow a lower carb diet (I eat like a diabetic) and my crohn's is better and I lost another 70lbs in the last year. I love feeling myself again. Keep your head up because you are not alone. I still struggle with my disease and diet. Since I started losing weight I have completed 4 half marathons and a triathlon. I never thought I could do that. I am queen of figuring out my favorite foods the low carb way, so let me know if you ever need ideas. I am always full and I never feel deprived (and I still eat sugar). Good luck and congrats on your wedding!!

Kim