I desperately need some vegan/vegetarian friends on here!

Options
I feel really alone--I'm sure a lot of vegans and vegetarians do, too. Are there any vegan athletes out there? I need food ideas! I don't eat a lot of processed foods, so I'm not really looking for people who eat crap. That's a bit brusque, but oh well. Any takers? :)

Replies

• MirelaH
    MirelaH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi Whitney, I'm sorry you are feeling alone! I feel like that too sometimes especially since most vegans I know are super skinny! I'm not an athlete........... yet. lol And I don't think I eat crappy but everyone has their own views on what "junk food" is.

Have you been to the Vegan Bodybuilding website? I think it is pretty awesome for any vegans who are into bodybuilding and fitness. So much good information!
    http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=news

Do you use Pinterest? I use it as a way to organize recipes. And I've got a lot of them! Below is my Pinterest page.
    http://pinterest.com/echofly/

If you need a Pinterest invite let me know. You can friend me if you need any support! I wish you good luck on your journey! :smile:
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm not an athlete, but I do try to eat healthy. You can friend me if you'd like. I'm a vegan and my dairy is visible to my friends.

My friend THULPA is also a vegan and he is a mixed martial artist. He has a training journal on the VBB forums (same name) and you could friend him, as well.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I'm not an athlete either, but I try to eat mostly whole foods, no/low sugar, fat and sodium. I do eat processed faux 'meats' to bump up my protein, about once a day. I prefer these to protein powders, but am actively developing more high-protein whole food recipes.

Friend me, if you think that corresponds to the direction you are heading.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, largely vegan. I'll admit to eating some crap, but I also eat a lot of whole foods. Right now I'm working on increasing my protein without eating a lot of fat (read: I need to eat fewer nuts). I sent a request, accept or not as you'd like.

Oh, and VoV is awesome!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, largely vegan. I'll admit to eating some crap, but I also eat a lot of whole foods. Right now I'm working on increasing my protein without eating a lot of fat (read: I need to eat fewer nuts). I sent a request, accept or not as you'd like.

Oh, and VoV is awesome!

:^) Mellisant is, too!
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Vegan but no athlete. The most athletic I've even been is 5-6 years ago when I ran three half marathons but I wasn't vegan then :(

I eat healthy vegan, hardly any processed food (rarely do I eat an Amy's bean burrito in a time crunch) but everything else is is cooked from scratch.
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan... Eat very little processed foods (usually NONE) and play roller derby... I sent you a friend request. :)
  • Reasie26
    Reasie26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi there! You are definitely not alone - in the world or here on MFP. There is a large group of veg eaters here! It took me a while, but there is a group you can join and discussion boards specifically for/about vegetarians/vegans!!

Feel free to friend me, too, if you'd like! :)

I try to eat as little processed food as possible, but it definitely happens. I have been trying lots of new veggies lately and got on a green smoothie kick recently. Yum!

I wouldn't consider myself an athlete, but I am two weeks away from a half-marathon that I've been training for! So, I run, but I wouldn't call myself a runner.... ;)
  • Reasie26
    Reasie26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Here's where you can find a great group and, hopefully, more friends here on MFP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request too. I bike like crazy and eat as little processed food as possible. I am following plant based nutrition.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider myself an "athlete," but I exercise about 5 days a week and am working towards a goal of running my first 5K in March. Do I count? :smile: I eat very little processed food and rarely eat out. Lots of whole, healthy foods on my diary as a general rule. Feel free to send me a friend request if you think I'd fit the bill. :wink:
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i can't qualify myself as vegan because i eat a greek yogurt once a day and eggs and fish a few times a week, but everything else i eat is vegan due to a dairy allergy and preference. feel free to add me. :)
  • HthrAnn
    Options
    Trying to reach out to people who live a Vegan lifestyle. I am a lone pioneer in my house and circle of friends. I am new to this but KNOW that this is what I need to be doing. I am struggling trying to fill the void of certain foods (mostly cheese) and there are some confusing lists out there that list things as Vegan that I am pretty sure are not! Vegetarian probably but not Vegan. So if anyone has patience with my learning curve I would really love some friends that understand what I am trying to do for my health. thanks :D