21 mo. out

Options
cmcravens
cmcravens Posts: 53 Member
I was just wandering if there is anyone on this blog that is over 21 mo out???? If so, do they have problems on lossing weight, did they get to there goal weight ever????? I am so stuck on trying to get to my goal weight , and I cant seem to get passed my current weight. This is sooooo frustrating to me that I just feel like starving, wish I know isn't good. I work out hard, nothing easy and I watch every day every meal every second on what I put into my mouth. Sometimes I still get the dumping, other times I just feel really sick. Can't afford to go to doctors, so I just read what others go through and learn from their experience. I just started going to groups that is free. Thank God because, I feel stuck. I so badly want to lose approx. another 25 pounds to 30 lbs. That I think sometimes I try to hard. I had always been taught when you want something bad enough you work hard for it. Wellllllll!!!!!! I've been working for it, nothing is moving. So I just wander if maybe I'm at my weight, or if I'm doing something wrong. I'm also wandering if by chance someone else had the same problems??????

Replies

• JustLena75
    Options
    Is your goal weight something that is reasonable for your height/frame?
    Sometimes the 'magic number' we have in our heads is not going to jive with our bodies.
  • cmcravens
    Options
    I don't know, I just always wanted to get down to this number and I am stuck at where I'm at. I so badly want to just see if I can do this. I never thought that I would be running on a treadmill and I am now. I never thought that I would ever have time to go back to school and I am 1/2 way done. So getting this weight number is not empossable, it's I'm sttuck and its all temperary. I will be doing the 5 day pouch test next week and start on my protein drinks as well as working out again.
  • lclowe0808
    lclowe0808 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I am not 21 or more months out (only almost 3 to be honest). But I know people that are 2+ years post-WLS. My doctor counseled me that the first 6 months are the honeymoon phase and to do everything that I can to get as much weight off as possible. That's the phase where you see the greatest amount of weight loss. Beyond that, it begins to slow and past a year is really slow. This is not meant as a discouragement, but since you are 21 months out, there are some strategies you may need to put in place to get to that magic number.

I agree with Lena in that maybe that magic number is not where you need to be. On the whatever the official height weight chart is, where are you on that chart? What is your bmi? If either of those are not in range of where you possibly should be, then continued weight loss may be warranted. I'm learning a lot throughout this process. One of the most important things I'm learning is that if I don't take in enough calories to offset the exercise, I won't lose weight...it won't show on the scales.

Exercise will require 2 components: cardio and strength/resistance training. The cardio will burn off calories for the short haul whereby the strength keeps the fires burning when you're sleeping. Metabolism is another key component. Do you eat something within 30 minutes of rising? Then after that, are you eating every 2-3 hours? Eating first thing in the morning stokes the fire and gets the engine running. After that, meals and snacks keeps it going. When I am focusing and doing that, I see a much better number on the scale.

I'm glad to hear that you are part of a support group. They should be able to provide some additional guidance, especially those that are 2+ years out. With some determination and a lot of hard work, I am sure you will be able to achieve your goals.

Let us know how this is going for you and we're here for you!

Hugz

Linda
  • cmcravens
    Options
    Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I really haven't checked the bmi thing, I am still under the obese section. I also have slowed down on the working out, do to disapointments. I finally faced up to it and reallize that I can't let people or anything distract me in anyway. I have to work out. I wish that I can afford the 24hr plan, where we live there really isn't much of a choice. so I'm stuck. I hate to be trapped into doing something that I don't really right about, or go to a place that totally discouraged me. but my life has been all about pleasing others and not self. So now I have to say well it be pleasing to see this person and let her win and not show up for what I need to do for self, or well it be pleasing for me to do what I need to do in order to get healthy and stay healthy? that is just like when I recieved the surgery. I really didn't want to go to that extent, but it was for me. so I did it. I also have all my friends here on MFP, to help me get through all the trials and tribulations that I go through. any way I also agree with linda on having a more active sight for the people who are 21+ out WLS, so that we can get extra support and have suggestions when we are stuck on something, we can ask others around that has had the same issues and get help from it. with out having to pay or make an appointment or what ever. all we would have to do is log on. My manager at work has found many web sites for people that has had wls blogs and was able to get some help and suggestions from others, about his issue. I don't think we as MFP should go to other channels when we have enough on this web sight to start our own blog and get plunty of help and support from here.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I am only 5 months out and losing wt. very slowly. I am working out for hours every day and counting my calories. I'm sorry I can't help you. I had my bpd/ds in September. I have a lot of questions, but I see my surgeon next week and will ask him what I need to. I am going to a support group tomorrow night and hopefully they are helpful. Please feel free to add me if you wish.
  • dawnkemp58
    dawnkemp58 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I can give you some input. This is me.
    I had bariatric surgery in 2002 - so I am more that 21 months out. Back then it was a different type of surgery, called VBG (vertical band gastroplasty).

Anyhow, there definitely is a window of time that you will lose weight at a steady pace, and then it is over. Now you will need to work as hard as any others. Before surgery I was 450 lbs, and quickly lost 150 lbs. Since then, it is a struggle. and I have not met it.

The Best difference is - you have the tool - of the gastric surgery to help you out.

Go back to basics, eat right, get your exercise, and be patient.

So please take it easy on yourself, and if you are not happy with your loss, then you should work harder to get where you want to be,

Good luck

Dawn
  • lclowe0808
    lclowe0808 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Dawn, we're so glad you're here. My doctor told me before surgery that I needed to do everything I could do to lose as much weight as possible in the first 6-9 months. He said after that, the honeymoon was over, and it would be much slower. I am so proud that you are continuing the journey...never give up.....and you will accomplish your goals. I am here for you every step of the way!!!!

Hugz

Linda
  • kimmireads
    kimmireads Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a Roux-en-Y, but I know the frustration that you are facing. My first bariatric surgery was a band--long story short I had to have it removed via emergency surgery. Prior to removal I had lost 75 pounds and stalled out for MONTHS! I know now that it was choices I was making nutritionally and not making in the exercise department. After the removal of the band I was devastated. The weight came back on so fast it wasn't funny. I kept my follow up appointments with the dr and then went through surgery March of '11 for a sleeve gastrectomy so I'm just over 13 months out from my second surgery). I had lost a little prior to surgery. Lost some after surgery and stalled again. Was so discouraged and had even gained a little. I was to the point of "Why am I bothering--if this doesn't even work for me!" Had a dr appt. with my surgeon and he told me he would like to see me more often for a while and we'd set some goals together. First goal was 13 # that was what I gained plus 5. Shortly after that visit where I was still struggling (and still horribly discouraged) but was attempting to get things moving, I was introduced to MFP by someone. I found the two bariatric groups, This one and Linda and friends helped me get started and I am beginning to turn things around. I am so thankful for their support and helping me along the way with my journey.

I know moving forward is difficult, but you can do this. It may take some examining of what you are doing and some exploring or experimenting on what will get things moving again for you as well as inspire you. Being faithful on tracking on your food diary helps to see some patterns and give a reality check. The exercise portion lets you see what you are burning off. There are many schools of though on the "eating back" of exercise calories. Only you will know what's right for you when you see the scale moving downward again. Hopefully support group will help you with some strategies or insights, too. We are here for you, too! :):flowerforyou:
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I am almost 3 years post surgery. It took me over 2 1/2 years to reach my goal. I lost a total of 75 pounds ( doesn't sound like a whole lot) but I am pretty short. I am now at a healthy weight and BMI and wear size small or a 4,or 6 depending on the brand.It was a very slow process for me. I am also pretty old so the metabolism has slowed down, (62) and have a hypothyroid condition.Logging on MFP was an important factor in my success. I exercise most days at least for 60 minutes. I am at the gym 5-7 days a week. I try to change my workout so that it includes spinning, zumba and a few classes that combine cardio and free weights. DON'T give up. You can do it. It may take awhile but hang in there. I had several plateaus but then I gradually would start losing again. Just keep working at it, a pound at a time.
  • Melody110476
    Melody110476 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If your looking for some free information this site is really good! http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/ I use to go back when I was doing well, I am trying to get back on track myself. I found after restarting to log my food intake that I graze a lot and ate a heck of a lot more than I thought I did! Good Luck and hang in there! :)

Melody
  • Itfiguresx
    Itfiguresx Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    hi i was the same, im a year n half into banding, for the past 6 months i have stayed the same with excersize and eating good, i found when i went on hols had a pig out, ate small but ofter as in 6-7 meals a day when i returned home a steady 2lb loss has resumed. many people dieting find that shifting their eating habbits kicks the metabolism into gear once more. give it a try :) god im glad to be loosing agen
  • Itfiguresx
    Itfiguresx Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    whats all this about time limits for loosing weight, i know many banders that take years to loose weight, im a year n half in and loose a steady 2lbs a week, any more is seen as unhealthy, its not a race. weight loss needs to be healthy, and if you do it right, you will loose 2lbs a week, like me a year n half in, and i still have 4 stones to go. the band is for life!!

which means if u gain when u loose all your weight and have a small defil, they will tighten it again, and if you work with it you will lose again. its for life there is no time limit, and its no race. im loosing more in this second year that in the first. so dont listen to all facts, because mainly its a selling ad!
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Im over 2 years out from a sleeve gastrectomy. I had this as a first stage procedure to get either an RNY or a DS. I went from 644 to 469. I only lost weight the first year. The second year was a plateau and a battle of the mind. I dont care what anyone says, you dont get to 644lbs just by "over eating" there is some serious issues there...and I am working on them. My weight plateaued at 488, give or take 10lbs. I am now doing the mental work (they do not do any psych evals in the UK for NHS patients in my area) and I am slowly getting there.

I am also disabled so exercise is hard or I may have lost more during the honeymoon who knows? I am still on the waiting list for a second surgery but I am not 100% sure about it yet. I feel I am making good progress, albeit slowly, here with MFP.

I wish you the best of luck!