Contraception and the Catholic Church

Options

Replies

• Regmama
    Regmama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Humanae Vitae was written by Pope Paul VI (it's a quick read and was inregards to life issues): http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_25071968_humanae-vitae_en.html

Azdak, this was written in the same era you are referring to in regards to Cardinal Cushing (and as we know, the 60s is where a lot of problems began in the Church).

Now on a personal level, I think women should avoid any contraceptives not only for moral/spiritual reasons, but also for physical and emotional reasons. Then again I believe that contraceptives are a lazy way out in many people's mind instead of learning how their normal bodily functions work. NFP is better for the environment and for a woman's body. And it is better for communication between partners. It doesn't hold the "use me for my body without consequences' assumption. Then again, I'm just an old-fashioned 33 year old who believes everyone has dignity to be respected and that medication is to be taken to help a body perform the way it was intended instead of stoping a normal function.
  • Regmama
    Options

I don't even mean that to be sarcastic. I really think that, for some people, the world has just become too complex, the pace of change too fast, and the problems seemingly unsolvable. They have lost faith in science, see research as either continually in conflict with itself or being "agenda-driven" and feel they have no control over their destiny. The other way they feel they can regain control is to revert to a kind of tribalism in which you only have to worry about being loyal to your tribe and its beliefs
    But I ask you this (and anyone with opposite views than those of faith), have you questioned why you are loyal to your beliefs? Have you questioned your beliefs in their totality? And last I check, the Catholic Church has not said anything negative about science in general, but has cautioned that science should contain ethics within it's exploring. Faith and science are NOT opposites, never have been and never will be. So that "play book" of saying they are opposed to each other should be put away, it's tired and overplayed nonsense.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Huh? I think most people who are of the "non-faith" group have questioned their beliefs and their loyalties...that is what drove them to where they are. Of course there are some non-believers who started out as non-believers, but I'd say the majority have come from religious backgrounds.

And why single out "anyone with opposite views than those of faith" - why not ask everyone why they are loyal to what they believe and if they've questioned their beliefs in totalitly?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

I don't even mean that to be sarcastic. I really think that, for some people, the world has just become too complex, the pace of change too fast, and the problems seemingly unsolvable. They have lost faith in science, see research as either continually in conflict with itself or being "agenda-driven" and feel they have no control over their destiny. The other way they feel they can regain control is to revert to a kind of tribalism in which you only have to worry about being loyal to your tribe and its beliefs
    But I ask you this (and anyone with opposite views than those of faith), have you questioned why you are loyal to your beliefs? Have you questioned your beliefs in their totality? And last I check, the Catholic Church has not said anything negative about science in general, but has cautioned that science should contain ethics within it's exploring. Faith and science are NOT opposites, never have been and never will be. So that "play book" of saying they are opposed to each other should be put away, it's tired and overplayed nonsense.

Comment started with "religious fundamentalists (all faiths).
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I have thought long and hard about this issue, and I have come to the personal conclusion that the catholic church should be able to offer what they want in their insurance packages. i can't stress enough how ridiculous I think their stance is, but since I have stridently opposed pharmacists being able to buck the policies of their employer by NOT giving out contraceptives since I think the employer has rights, I have to give the employer, the catholic hospitals in this case, the same right to decide even if I do not agree with them.
  • Azdak
    Options
    Humanae Vitae was written by Pope Paul VI (it's a quick read and was inregards to life issues): http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_25071968_humanae-vitae_en.html

Azdak, this was written in the same era you are referring to in regards to Cardinal Cushing (and as we know, the 60s is where a lot of problems began in the Church).

Now on a personal level, I think women should avoid any contraceptives not only for moral/spiritual reasons, but also for physical and emotional reasons. Then again I believe that contraceptives are a lazy way out in many people's mind instead of learning how their normal bodily functions work. NFP is better for the environment and for a woman's body. And it is better for communication between partners. It doesn't hold the "use me for my body without consequences' assumption. Then again, I'm just an old-fashioned 33 year old who believes everyone has dignity to be respected and that medication is to be taken to help a body perform the way it was intended instead of stoping a normal function.

First of all, the encyclical was written 1968, a number of years after Cardinal Cushing made his remarks. In that decade, quite frankly, even though a few years apart, they didn't belong to the same era at all.

Secondly, the reference itself has nothing to do with my original comment. Cardinal Cushing was not commenting on Catholic dogma (the subject of the encyclical), he was commenting on the difference between individual "rights" and the larger needs of having different groups live together in a society. He specifically mentioned that he did not feel it proper to "foist" his religious views on society in general, and that he did not need civil law to validate his faith. I don't see how he could have made his point any clearer.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Maybe I'm getting hung up on definitions here, but if one has beliefs they are loyal to for no reason other than they have beliefs, then they have faith; in that sense, their view would be faith-based, not opposite. That's part of what faith is. What exactly do you mean by views that are opposite of faith? I tend to agree that faith and science are not opposites, but they shouldn't be combined in the same argument either. It's not so much that they're opposites so much as they mix about as well as oil and water when it comes to seeking the same type of truth.

So to answer your question "But I ask you this (and anyone with opposite views than those of faith), have you questioned why you are loyal to your beliefs?" I question my values all the time. Secular Humanism provides a lovely framework for doing just that.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is, it costs 15% MORE for the church to deny birth control coverage to its employees. Thus, they can't claim that they are being forced to pay for something they don't believe in.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

I'm of the opposite camp of thought - I believe that they should put birth control in the water and people should have to opt out.

As an aside here, I was on birth control pills at 13 - long before I was having sex because I liked that it regulated my heavy, erratic periods. The only people who assume are *kitten*. Taking birth control does not mean I have any less dignity for myself - it means I am taking control of my own body.
  • Azdak
    Options
    [Taking birth control does not mean I have any less dignity for myself - it means I am taking control of my own body.

For many people who oppose contraception, that "control" is the scariest part of all. How dare women be all uppity about their lady parts.

I cannot believe we are having this argument in 2012.
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Catholic insurance companies are not the same as a non profit or a church. They have a profit motive just like anyone else. They will use the religious excuse to deny insurance to many people for a variety of things if this is something that they are allowed to skate on.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    427573_10100257889559104_5301629_46210671_893707885_n.jpg
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    427573_10100257889559104_5301629_46210671_893707885_n.jpg
    Stealing this too!
  • Windchild
    Windchild Posts: 129 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but I have to say something. I'm a non-sexually active, 30 year old woman who likes her birth control pills very much. For me, taking birth control does not equal "use me for my body." It's helps me. My "normal body function" suck. Majorly.

I am quite happy with BC "stopping a normal function" for me. Without BC I will go months without a period and when it finally does show up, I bleed for two to three, sometimes FOUR WEEKS, nonstop. And I'm not talking about a light flow. It's very heavy, with large gooey lining shedding. I often have to get up in the middle of the night to change my overnight pad, I lose so much blood. It's nasty and it freaking HURTS. I've been in so much pain that I couldn't work. Try telling your boss that you can't work for WEEKS because you're on your period. That goes over SO well. On top of that, I've had my parents threaten to drag me to the emergency room kicking and screaming, because I look so horrible by the second week of my period.

And yes, I know you stated that:
    medication is to be taken to help a body perform the way it was intended

Some people would argue that my body is performing the way it was intended, the way God intended for my body to function. If you don't believe that way, then I'm very glad.

However, for people like me that need BC to make our bodies act semi-normal, we kind of need our insurance to help us out on paying for it, as a NECESSARY medication. Businesses that opt out of providing those necessary medications, make it difficult for people like me to get the meds we need, when we constantly fear getting fired for missing work(and not being able to pay for the BC), and/or have to choose between buying our BC or buying food/paying bills. Especially when they live hours away from a planned parenthood clinic that could help them out, like I do.
  • Regmama
    Options

I'm sorry, but I have to say something. I'm a non-sexually active, 30 year old woman who likes her birth control pills very much. For me, taking birth control does not equal "use me for my body." It's helps me. My "normal body function" suck. Majorly.

I am quite happy with BC "stopping a normal function" for me. Without BC I will go months without a period and when it finally does show up, I bleed for two to three, sometimes FOUR WEEKS, nonstop. And I'm not talking about a light flow. It's very heavy, with large gooey lining shedding. I often have to get up in the middle of the night to change my overnight pad, I lose so much blood. It's nasty and it freaking HURTS. I've been in so much pain that I couldn't work. Try telling your boss that you can't work for WEEKS because you're on your period. That goes over SO well. On top of that, I've had my parents threaten to drag me to the emergency room kicking and screaming, because I look so horrible by the second week of my period.

Some people would argue that my body is performing the way it was intended, the way God intended for my body to function. If you don't believe that way, then I'm very glad.

However, for people like me that need BC to make our bodies act semi-normal, we kind of need our insurance to help us out on paying for it, as a NECESSARY medication. Businesses that opt out of providing those necessary medications, make it difficult for people like me to get the meds we need, when we constantly fear getting fired for missing work(and not being able to pay for the BC), and/or have to choose between buying our BC or buying food/paying bills. Especially when they live hours away from a planned parenthood clinic that could help them out, like I do.
    Why not have your doctor look into NaPro technology? You know, its better to get to the root of the problem and help the body function the way it should then putting a band-aid solution on the problem. It is not your fault that your doctor is lazy instead of trying to truly help you out completely. http://naprotechnology.com/
  • Azdak
    Options

Why not have your doctor look into NaPro technology? You know, its better to get to the root of the problem and help the body function the way it should then putting a band-aid solution on the problem. It is not your fault that your doctor is lazy instead of trying to truly help you out completely. http://naprotechnology.com/

It's great that you have the free choice to choose a method that meets your needs. It's too bad you feel the need to deny others their choice as well.
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    FTR I like it when my hubby uses me for my body.
  • Windchild
    Windchild Posts: 129 Member
    Options

The problem that I have with the website you sent me, is that it seems to be all about preserving fertility and making sure that a woman can have babies. I could not find anything on that website that met my issues or showed how they would help with my hormonal imbalances. The BC helps me. And I know how the BC functions, the proper doses I need, ect...
  • Regmama
    Options

The problem that I have with the website you sent me, is that it seems to be all about preserving fertility and making sure that a woman can have babies. I could not find anything on that website that met my issues or showed how they would help with my hormonal imbalances. The BC helps me. And I know how the BC functions, the proper doses I need, ect...
    Here is a group who does work with your body. From what I am told, if there is not a doctor near you who uses NaPro technology to help a woman become regular with her cycles they will work with you over the phone, and they do work with irregular cycles. Good luck. I've been down your road before too. http://www.popepaulvi.com/ncfwh_Home.htm
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    Here is a group who does work with your body. From what I am told, if there is not a doctor near you who uses NaPro technology to help a woman become regular with her cycles they will work with you over the phone, and they do work with irregular cycles. Good luck. I've been down your road before too. http://www.popepaulvi.com/ncfwh_Home.htm

"The Center for NaProEthics, the ethics division of the Pope Paul VI Institute ponders, proclaims and promotes the Catholic Church's position on issues including, but not limited to: family planning, reproductive/genetic technologies, stem cell research, embryo adoption, marriage, family, and sexuality."

With all due respect, I personally wouldn't really be interested in utilizing the services of an organization that openly promotes the Catholic Church's backwards views on these issues. You're free, of course, to use them, so I do find it interesting that you would so willingly take away the rights of women to use their preferred methods.