Recipe exchange

Options
moxette
moxette Posts: 104 Member
So we had BLTs for dinner tonight and I never get enough when we eat that kind of food so I made a veggie side to go with it.
EGGPLANT POMODORO
INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium eggplant, (about 1 pound), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 plum tomatoes, diced
2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, (optional)

PREPARATION
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, until just softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add tomatoes, vinegar, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper (if using) and cook, stirring, until the tomatoes begin to break down, 5 to 7 minutes more.

ANYONE ELSE HAVE RECIPES THEY WOULD LIKE TO ADD?

Replies

• moxette
    Options
    Got the munchies at night? Here is one of my favorites when tea just isn't doing the trick. I got this from Nolan when we first started dating and thought he was nuts the first time he made it for me. Its called swichel, we drink it hot and I use an actual teaspoon (the kind you eat with, not the kind you measure with.)
    Pour 2 teaspoons of honey and 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar into a mug and add hot water. You can add a little more of anything to taste. This is a great alternative to the high calorie hot chocolate that Logan requests for a winter snack. (he gets the hot chocolate and I get the swichel).
  • eisenmansandy
    eisenmansandy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Here is one I came across thought those of you that eat Vegetarian would like it.

Southern Vegetarian Burgers 2 servings

INGREDIENTS:

Sweat:
    1/4 cup diced red pepper
    1/4 cup sliced scallion
    ( green parts only)
    2 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp minced fresh thyme
    2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
    Salt and pepper

MASH:
    1 can blacke-eyed peas
    drained, rinsed, and divided (15 oz)
    1 egg white
    3 Tbsp cornmeal
    1 tsp prepared yellow mustard
    2-3 dashes Tabasco sauce
    Prepared cornmeal

PREPARATION:
    Sweat bell pepper, scalions, garlic and thyme in 1 tbsp oil in skillet over medium heat until softened, 3 minutes:season with salt and set aside.

Mash 1 cup of peas with egg white in a bowl until nearly smooth. Stir in cornmeal, mustard, tabasco, remaining whole peas, and bell pepper mixture. Form mixture into two patties and chill 10 minutes or up to 30 minutes.

Saute patties in 1 tbsp oil in same skillet over high heat until browned, 5 minutes per side. Place bugers on cornbread pieces and top with Comeback sauce and Sauteed Green & Tomaotes.

Per serving 277 calories; 9g total fat (1g sat);omg chol; 296 sodium;39g carb; 8g fiber;14g protein.

COMEBACK SAUCES Makes 1 cup

Puree 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1 tbsp chopped garlic, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 2 tbsp each olive oil, ketchup and chili sauce, 1 tbsp worchestershire sauce and fresh lemon juice; and 1 tsp prepared yellow mustard in a food processor until smooth. Season sauce with Tabasco and black pepper; refrigerate up to 2 weeks.(Let come to room temperature before servining.)

per serving 1 tbsp 47 calories; 5 g total fat(1gsat); 1mg chol;83mg sodium, 2 g carb; 0g fiber; 0g protein.

SAUTEED GREENS AND TOMATOES makes 2 servings

1/2 cup sliced onions
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    2 tsp olive oil
    3 cups thinly slice collard greens (3oz)
    1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
    1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
    1 tbsp cider vinegar
    salt to taste

Saute onions and pepper flakes in oil in saute pan over midium-high heat until softened, 3 minutes. Stir in greens until starting to wilt; add broth. Simmer greens until tender, 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and vinegar; season with salt.

Per serving 85 calories; 5g total fat(1gsat);0 chol; 160mg sodium; 10g carb;3g fiber; 2 g protein.
  • moxette
    Options
    Thanks! I have tried veggie burgers before and they always end up like veggie blobs, I will have to try this recipe. (if not now then when the garden come up). Keep em coming!
  • kcogs
    kcogs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Jorge's Skinny Muffins

This is cool, and I think it is pretty nutritious! Make it in a coffee mug.

1/4 cup ground flax
    1 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp coconut oil
    1 egg
    1 packet stevia or splenda

Mix in a mug. Microwave for 50 seconds.
  • eisenmansandy
    Options
    Looks interesting. 'What is the calorie count?
    Sandy
  • kcogs
    kcogs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    282. But the flax is loaded with omega-3's, the cinnamon is good stuff, and the coconut oil smells heavenly. If you could find a skinny frosting, I'd eat it a lot! I made it for both Rod and a 9 year old neighbor girl and they both liked it.
  • moxette
    Options
    yum!
  • eisenmansandy
    Options
    Here's a recipe that is easy and tastes so good !

Spring Fruit Salad

5 minute prep 2 servings

1 cup of sliced strawberries
    1/2 cup diced mango
    1/4tsp of lemon zest
    1 tsp blasmic vinegar.

In medium bowl, combine starwberries, mango and lemon zest. Just before serving, sprinkle with balsamic vinegar.
  • sdow
    sdow Posts: 71
    Options
    wow. Amazing. I will have to try it. Doesn't vinegar help with water retention?
  • andi82801
    andi82801 Posts: 4
    Options
    Here is my favorite summer salad:

1 hothouse cucumber with peel
    2 cans of garbanzo beans
    1 container of grape tomatoes
    olive oil (around 2 T)
    whole lemon
    greek seasonings around 2 T(fom Penzey spice)

Slice cucumbers into bite size pieces. Cut tomatoes into halves. Add both cucmbers and tomatoes into large bowl. Add garbanzo beans (drained). Add olive oil, greek seasonings and fresh lemon juice. Mix well and enjoy!

This is great on a hot day and it keeps well in the fridge. Healthy and refreshing snack - even better the second day once the flavor has marinated a bit!