Hello from Calgary, Alberta

Options
Hi guys,

My name is Catherine, I'm 42 ( still can not believe I am 42, time flies) I joined my fitnesspal, about 2 years ago I think and never did anything with it. Now I've been back for 20 days and have been making steady progress. I have a large amount of weight to lose, 50+.

My story is no better or worse then most. We all have baggage and cards that have been dealt to us in life to deal with. Mine goes something like this. 6 years ago I got supper sick, with kidney disease, I did dialysis for 2 years and then in January of 2008, I received the gift of life from my cousin. He gave up a part of himself, his left kidney so that I could live and return to a normal life. I'm happy to say that it has been 4 years since the Transplant and life is good, great actually.

The only down fall, is that I have gained about 50 pounds since the transplant. This is attributed in some part to anti rejection drug and steroids and, I believe, in larger part for my zest to over eat.

I looked around for a while to find a group, and I thought that Fabulous 40 something ladies, sounded great. I look forward to chatting with you and contributing as much as I can. Good luck to all that are on here, I hope you make progress and enjoy the journey as much as the destination.

Replies

• SlinkyNewMe
    SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a story! You are so brave and very fortunate. It is lovely to meet you, keep looking on here and posting. You can add topics as you wish. Feel free to add me if you want some extra support on your weight loss journey :flowerforyou:
  • miracle1018
    Options
    Welcome! It's very nice to have you here. My very good friend has had a kidney transplant as well. It's a very tough road. But I am so proud of both of you for how strong and determined you have been to go through what you have and still have a positive outlook. I too have about 50 pounds to lose. Add me as a friend if you'd like. take care, Becky
  • nomorecookies
    nomorecookies Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello Catherine, its great to see a fellow Albertan on this site. I moved from Calgary to Edmonton about 5 years ago. It sounds like you have had a bit of rough go for the last few years; but you have made a great decision to use this site. It really does work if you stick with it. I too have been struggling with my weight and have lost about 60 lbs to date. I still have about another 20lbs to go; but this last few just don't want to give up.

If you need any support or just feel like complaining about the cold Albertan weather just drop me a note.

Take care, Michelle
  • Scubagirl4ever
    Options
    Thank you Ladies for your show of support towards me. It means a lot. I hope you all do well on your journeys. I'm down 16 pounds now, man that feels soooooo good!! I have added you guys as friends, let's try to keep encouraging each other to reach our goals, best of luck!!

Catherine