What's a good running sneaker??

Options
judynunes
judynunes Posts: 43 Member
Hey everyone just wanted to get some ideas on the type of running shoes you guys wear? I get alot of pain on my heel (heel spasms) if I dont have a good shoe, so now that I am starting to run I would like to buy a pair that is great for running. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I wear Brooks' The Beast. Mainly because there isn't much selection in the big size I wear. Before I went to a running store and got them, I wore some random New Balance running shoes (again because NB is one of the few brands that accommodate big and wide feet).
  • judynunes
    Options
    I wear Brooks' The Beast. Mainly because there isn't much selection in the big size I wear. Before I went to a running store and got them, I wore some random New Balance running shoes (again because NB is one of the few brands that accommodate big and wide feet).

Thank you! My friend just gave me that idea to go to a running store and get fitted !! I will look into Brooks saw them on the stores website..
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I wear Saucony. I would definitely recomend going to a running store. They will watch you run on a treadmill and tell you what type of shoe you need.
  • judynunes
    Options
    I wear Saucony. I would definitely recomend going to a running store. They will watch you run on a treadmill and tell you what type of shoe you need.

Thank you!!
  • TJMcQN
    TJMcQN Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I also wore the Beast by Brooks and it is indeed a good shoe. I currently run New Balance 2012mc. It important to be sure a shoe has adequate cushioning and stability (motion control). Running shoe makers generally have a variety to accommodate a wide range of needs. Brooks mahes the Beast but also racing flats that would be inappropriate for our needs. Can't tell you how many people I have seen running in the wrong shoe because they liked the color or it's the shoe their underweight marathon running friend wears.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Definitely get fitted and refitted in about 6 months. I started out in a pair of Brooks Glycerin shoes. In the beginning they were super, but as my stride improved they no longer fit for me. I can't even walk in them without intense knee pain now. I got refitted for a pair of Nike Frees and the pain diminished, but if I put the Brooks back on, the pain comes back.

Fit is everything.
  • TJMcQN
    TJMcQN Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Another good point. Track the milage on your shoes since it is said that most last approximately 300 - 500 miles before they begin to break down and a new pair is needed. It is a good idea to get two pair and switch off so the shoe has a chance to rebound between runs. This of course is especially true if you're running a lot of miles and consecutive days. I let a pair get too worn and developed plantar faciitis. I was too stuborn to rest and heal and it took a couple of years to be able to walk again without limping. Running was out of the question. Twenty five years and over fifty pounds heavier I finally got back on track and will NOT make that mistake again. So if my advise seems a bit premature forgive me but words cannot express the feeling you get after a long run. I never forgot it and I will never forgive myself if I can't get it back. See you on the roads.