Coming back - after injury or leave

Options
pfeiferfit
pfeiferfit Posts: 138 Member
I'm coming back in January after a long leave. And I know I'm going to have to skate with the refs for a while, and get back up to it. Anyone have suggestions on how I can get back up to conditioned from not skating for 6mos+? Thanks!

Replies

• redhotredneck
    redhotredneck Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I had to do the same thing, but I was coming back to be a ref. In actuality the refs have to work harder than skaters, so they usually will whip your butt into shape pretty well. But, I would also recommend doing off-skate exercises as well as your work on skates. There are so really good videos out there - youtube, etc - you can search for off-skates, or look up speed skating off-skates. They use the same mechanics as derby, so their off-skates will help you immensely.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Coming back is always daunting,. but you'll do great once your get your confidence and endurance back up, too. The videos are a great idea! I also was off for 2 months with a back injury. Once i had the OK from my doctor I was on the elliptical 30 minutes a day, trying to get that endurance going again.
  • pfeiferfit
    pfeiferfit Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I was at a practice last night watching. It was intense. I think in Derby the head AND the body need to e in the game. So I'll work on that. :)
  • Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Options
    I came back Sept 2011 after 10 months (pregnancy) ! I just jumped right in and gave 100% of MY ability. Played my first two mixed scrimmages in December and felt great!!!! Just keep pushing yourself, you'll be right back to the old you in no time!
  • pinkyD1953
    pinkyD1953 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you do have jump in with both skates! I retired from derby at the beginning of 2011. I hadn't skated since my teams season ended in Aug '10. I decided to come out of retirement in May of 2011 with a new league. I went to one of their pre-fresh meat bootcamps and just doing the basics kicked my *kitten*. The next practice I attended the league president and coach informed I'd be testing. In my mind, I figured I was taking the same test the pre-fresh meat would be taking in a few weeks. Boy was I wrong!! After 8 months of being off skates, I was taking the WTFDA skills assessment, timed laps and all!! I survived - barely but scored well and found myself immediately on the travel team. So, don't be afraid to jump on in! You'll be sore all over again like when y first put on skates. But your body & mind will remember pretty quickly how to play the Derbys!

Good luck!!

Pinky