knee pain question

Options
Hello!

I am "training" for a 10k in June so have plenty of time. Started jogging beginning of January and in 4 or 5 weeks was at 4 miles (slow miles, approx 12 minutes each). The inside of my right knee is starting to really hurt. Odd thing is, it does not really bother me while jogging, just the rest of the day. Any idea's of what to do different? I know I overdid the 10% per jog thing but am not planning on increasing anytime soon... Anything else I can do? Not swollen, not THAT painful, but a dull constant pain other than jogging. Advice?

Thanks!
L

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    You'll read over and over again that knee pain is typically caused from a weakness in the hips and glutes. Try doing more squats and lunges, in several directions (Side, Front, Back, Diagonal). I have added Braillian Butt Lift to my workouts because the PT exercises were boring to work the same areas.

Also, foam roll and stretch. Look up Yoga for runner's, this will really help. I find that pain is just the inside may be related to tightness in the outside as well, so work both directions for stretching.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Great advice. I'm getting knee pain exactly opposite of OP's on the OUTSIDE or my LEFT knee, and ONLY when and after I run. :) Chiropractor and trainer and run coach all say RICE and foam rolling and more cross training; I think I'll add another day of strength training and work the legs more, and add some yoga on my stretch/rest day. Thanks for the tips!
  • fluffymcfluffster
    fluffymcfluffster Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!
  • lilsmiley11122
    lilsmiley11122 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above, plus one more thing. About 3 years ago I started having constant knee pain after running, and a co-worker suggested glucosamine supplements. It cured me overnight (not joking) and I have not had issues since. This is probably more something to consider if you have been training for a long time and nothing else works, but wanted to throw it out there. Good luck in your race! =)
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above, plus one more thing. About 3 years ago I started having constant knee pain after running, and a co-worker suggested glucosamine supplements. It cured me overnight (not joking) and I have not had issues since. This is probably more something to consider if you have been training for a long time and nothing else works, but wanted to throw it out there. Good luck in your race! =)

I used to suffer from horrible knee pain would start out as an annoyance and then get so painful instead of better. I started taking Glucosamine/Chondoitin supplements which together is proven in studies as the best remedy for joint pain. It takes some time to truly work about 2 months but is GREATLY worth it! I have run Pain free for awhile now and am so Thankful! (Must take it daily)
    I also use a foam roller immediately if I feel any tightness and I also have incorporated strength training.
  • sunleigh
    sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I too recently have been getting it in the outside of my let knee
    Rice and stretching was my pt friend recommendation
    She said make sure you stretch the IT band