What are you reading?

Options
13»

Replies

• Anna_43
    Anna_43 Posts: 117
    Options
    Just finished Trafficked...hmmmmm Incredible - who would have thought?
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I too have a Kindle. I find it great for novels and the like, but anything that requires colour or large format, such as an atlas, is a non-starter on the device. I also have an iPad, which offers colour, but the battery life, while good, doesn't come close to a Kindle. You can't read the iPad screen in bright sunlight either. Some have pointed out that you rent, not buy, a book on Kindle; while that is true, you don't get charged again if you delete from Kindle and subsequently re-download as the book is kept on your account regardless of whether it is held on the device or not.

"Calibre" is a free and open source eBook library manager which lets you convert other free eBooks into a format viewable on the Kindle and transfer the book to the Kindle via USB. I have used it and it works well. There are many other sources of eBooks for Kindle outside of Amazon too. Happy reading!
  • gtfcnat
    gtfcnat Posts: 199
    Options
    I too have a Kindle. I find it great for novels and the like, but anything that requires colour or large format, such as an atlas, is a non-starter on the device. I also have an iPad, which offers colour, but the battery life, while good, doesn't come close to a Kindle. You can't read the iPad screen in bright sunlight either. Some have pointed out that you rent, not buy, a book on Kindle; while that is true, you don't get charged again if you delete from Kindle and subsequently re-download as the book is kept on your account regardless of whether it is held on the device or not.

"Calibre" is a free and open source eBook library manager which lets you convert other free eBooks into a format viewable on the Kindle and transfer the book to the Kindle via USB. I have used it and it works well. There are many other sources of eBooks for Kindle outside of Amazon too. Happy reading!
    I use Calibre as well, it's great very simple to use.

I'm now reading

41t5HBLjAyL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-52,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

From Jodi Picoult, one of the most powerful writers in contemporary fiction, comes a riveting, timely, heartbreaking, and terrifying novel of families in anguish -- and friendships ripped apart by inconceivable violence. Until the phone calls came at 3:00 A.M. on a November morning, the Golds and their neighbors, the Hartes, had been inseparable. It was no surprise to anyone when their teenage children, Chris and Emily, began showing signs that their relationship was moving beyond that of lifelong friends. But now seventeen-year-old Emily has been shot to death by her beloved and devoted Chris as part of an apparent suicide pact -- leaving two devastated families stranded in the dark and dense predawn, desperate for answers about an unthinkable act and the children they never really knew.
  • fozzie500
    fozzie500 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am on a wierd jag with my reading starting with aron ralston 127 hours now I'm on "into the wild" by John can't remember last name and next I'm going to see if I can get touching the void by Joe Simpson. Last month it was a classics fest and next I think I might fancy some post modernist Virginia Woolf and dh Lawrence.

Oh and definitely a kindle fan. Loved paper but trying to prop up a hardback in the bath or lying on a beach makes having the kindle a dream some times I just lie on my side and prop it up in the case hands free reading!

it's john Krakauer,you should read into thin air by him if you haven't already,touching the void is great,as is the death zone by matt ****inson,reading miricle in the andes at the minute by nando parrado.
  • fozzie500
    fozzie500 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    lol its edited the first part of his surname!
  • stewartgreggallan
    stewartgreggallan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Working my way through the George RR Martin series of books "A Game of Thrones"
  • gtfcnat
    Options
    Working my way through the George RR Martin series of books "A Game of Thrones"

I've got these to read, I didn't watch the TV series so I don't know what to expect really. You'll have to let me know what you think.
  • lilsaph
    lilsaph Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I watched the movie only AFTER I read the book.

The movie was truly awful, book was great.

Undomesticated Goddess (book) was brilliant too, hope they never make it into a movie ;)

Yup, she writes completely different stuff under the other name...

Totally agreed in regards to the movie - huge let down and not true to the book at all :noway:
  • Anna_43
    Options
    Yup moview was as detached from the book that I did not even recognise the book !!!!

Just picked up from the library:

51yy0KKznvL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

INfo:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Me-Before-You-Jojo-Moyes/dp/0718157834/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328559744&sr=8-1
  • jcb1969
    Options
    Oh and definitely a kindle fan. Loved paper but trying to prop up a hardback in the bath or lying on a beach makes having the kindle a dream some times I just lie on my side and prop it up in the case hands free reading!

Totally agree! Even without a case it's easily one-handed which is useful when you have to stand on a train - no need to wait until the stops to change the page!!

Totally agree with the above! From a total bookworm (who has wall-to-wall books) my kindle has revolutionized my reading.....especially propped up in bed, kindle balanced on knees = NO-HANDED READING!!!
  • mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Starting this one today, London terrorist thriller

51mx27KzdXL-198x3051.jpg
  • springermad
    Options
    My last 3 were (all brilliant):

51sQtGecP5L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

51U2zGJWPOL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-49,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

51fm0d1YxBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-52,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Got another 12 from the library, waiting to be started - not sure what to go for now....

I read anything and everything really....

Loved:

412YWkALHlL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

418WNTN815L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

51BT1oxvpKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

.. ermm I better shut up, yes - between my dog and 4 cats and bokks - I am dead boringggg yawnnnnnnnnnnn

These sound great may check out te first two for sure.

I am reading "perfect"" at the moment
  • springermad
    Options
    I'm reading Bridget Jones Edge of Reason at the moment. I also love Sophie Kinsella and I love Jodi Picoult (have read almost all of hers).

Oh and I adore my kindle. At first I didn't think I would want one but then when I started my current job with a very long commute I started to think that buying 1-2 books per week is a) expensive - much cheaper with Kindle and lots of the books I already have were free, classics I mean and b) takes up a lot of space in my flat. Not to mention my handbag - it's no longer book vs packed lunch or gym stuff!

I love sophie kinsella book, also I love jodi picoult books x
  • Jjsugar2001
    Jjsugar2001 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Gypsy Princess - Violet Cannon.

I loves them gypsies.
  • gtfcnat
    Options
    41ln4ae3hLL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-51,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

One big secret…

When Lea became accidentally pregnant she decided that she would go it alone. Rodeo star Reilly wasn’t the sort of man who’d want to be tied down. But five years later she needs to tell him her secret…

One tiny blessing…

Learning he’s a daddy is bittersweet for Reilly, because his little girl is fighting to survive. Her only hope is a new brother or sister. Can he and Lea create a newborn miracle – and a future together?
  • Anna_43
    Options
    Ordered Gypsy Princess.

My library does not have Siege :(

But they have this one so ordered to see the writting style ;)

41Xkz4Np-HL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg