Newbie questions

Options
So, I'm skinny fat. There I said it. I might look nice and slim in my clothes, but I jiggle when naked. I realize I should have looked into strength training/lifting heavy before I lost the weight, but here I am.

So, I have been searching for a while on how to start this, but so many sites seem to contradict others.

Does anyone have a helpful link to explain to me how to begin? Especially regarding calories and routines as I know you need to eat more while lifting heavy. I just need lifting heavy for dummies or something. I need to know what I should be eating, how much of it, and beginner routines I guess. I would also appreciate any sites that you personally have learned a lot from.

Thank you for any and all help.

Replies

• blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'm still somewhat of a newbie too when it comes to weight training ... I've been at it for about a year now and I still know there's SO much more to be learned.

But one site that I personally have found very helpful is Scooby's Workshop at http://scoobysworkshop.com/. The guys only goal is to just help people get fit ... there's absolutely no cost for anything on his site. He has tips and videos on just about anything you can think of, tons of helpful information, and several workout plans, including some for women. :)

Best of luck to you! :)
  • teagan911
    Options
    I'm still somewhat of a newbie too when it comes to weight training ... I've been at it for about a year now and I still know there's SO much more to be learned.

But one site that I personally have found very helpful is Scooby's Workshop at http://scoobysworkshop.com/. The guys only goal is to just help people get fit ... there's absolutely no cost for anything on his site. He has tips and videos on just about anything you can think of, tons of helpful information, and several workout plans, including some for women. :)

Best of luck to you! :)

Wow, great site! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options

Wow, great site! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

You're quite welcome ... glad you found it helpful! :)
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Personally I've heard and seen some not great things from that site! I'm sure the bulk of the information is fine, but it also seems to be littered with pseudo-science.

I know bodybuilding.com have a number of pre-made workout and meal plans (and suppliment recommendations) for different goals and ages. I'd probably be more inclined to look there as a start. If you like, I can ask some of the more experienced lifters on here where they started and what they would suggest.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I've recently started using The New Rules of Lifting. It ended up being a better workout than I thought it would be, seeing it on paper. It helps you choose a program based on your circumstances, for instance "skinny," or in my case, "fat loss." It further helps you choose based on your previous experience. The workouts are based on movements that are based on real life movements (pushing, pulling, twisting, etc.) and almost always involve multiple muscle groups. Every workout is a full body workout. You do a certain program for about 4 weeks, then change to a different program for the next 4 weeks. It keeps changing things up so your muscles don't adapt. This keeps you building.

"The New Rules of Lifting for Women" seems to be very popular right now (check it out at the library), and if you search the boards you will find numerous threads about it. There may even be an MFP group just for that. I'm not sure, but it sounds familiar.

Good luck!
  • ironband
    ironband Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively new as well - I found this guide to be very helpful:

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/building-muscle.php

Andre
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    beginners should look at starting strength, stronglifts or NROL IMO.

Scooby's site has some crazy nutritional stuff on there and his exercise stuff is very bodybuilding based and not the best option for a beginner IMO.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    beginners should look at starting strength, stronglifts or NROL IMO.

Scooby's site has some crazy nutritional stuff on there and his exercise stuff is very bodybuilding based and not the best option for a beginner IMO.

^ This is the best post on this thread.

I follow stronglifts.com 5x5 and it rocks.

Also "Starting Stregnth" by Mark Rippetoe (http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330101053&sr=8-1) is a similar program (most the same exercises as Stronglifts) and his exercise descriptions are invaluable. Rippetoe is an undisputed expert in the field and goes into exhaustive anatomical descriptions in his book. I cannot recommend it enough.
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 68
    Options
    I like Scooby's stuff and agree with the orignal recommendation-he does seem to cut through the crap, which can be substantial when starting out. But as everywhere, it's just someone's opinion and best to get a well rounded view by looking at a variety of sources
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Scooby says "if it tastes good, spit it out". This is reason enough for me to be HIGHLY sceptical.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Scooby says "if it tastes good, spit it out". This is reason enough for me to be HIGHLY sceptical.

Wait, I'm confused, I normally trust your opinion Chris, but azackery said Scooby is great?!? Oh well, I'm going to ditch my SL5X5 program, and concentrate on scooby and taebo instead. Imgonnaberipped!
  • chrisdavey
    Options

Wait, I'm confused, I normally trust your opinion Chris, but azackery said Scooby is great?!? Oh well, I'm going to ditch my SL5X5 program, and concentrate on scooby and taebo instead. Imgonnaberipped!

:laugh: good luck with that mate! :tongue:
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I'd also recommend Starting Strength, the book and stronglifts, the e-book and starting a routine with squats as soon as possible.