Run/Walk Across America Challenge Week 7 [CLOSED GROUP]

Options
1st: Wellsd1984: 245.8 miles. LC: Tallahasee, FL. - ALMOST DONE!

2nd: PBMaria. 166 miles. LC: Houston, TX. - HIIIII!!!!! ea8af959.gif

3rd: Kimertruns13_1. 136.38 miles. LC: San Antonio, TX.

4th: Really_me. 133.67 miles. LC: Ozona, TX.
5th: Christa_1983. 117.77 miles. LC: Ozona, TX.

6th: Anichols2288. 104.39 miles. LC: Van Horn, TX.
7th: Jbessolo. 97.85 miles. LC: Van Horn, TX.
8th: Jessie43082. 94.55 miles. LC: Van Horn, TX.

9th: Smurfette75. 89.3 miles. LC: El Paso, TX.
10th: AliceIsRunning. 82.7. LC: El Paso, TX.
11th: Leslye125. 80.25 miles. LC: El Paso, TX.
12th: Fierrox5. 80 miles. LC: El Paso, TX.

13th: Thamre. 74.75 miles. LC: Lordsburg, NM.
14th: Nokey73. 66.3. LC: Lordsburg, NM.

15th: Nulife9727. 63.235. LC: Tucson, AZ.
16th: Amanda_runs. 52 miles. LC: Tucson, AZ.

17th: Annasgyal. 47.1 miles. LC: Phoenix, AZ.
18th: Rubyred1999. 42.23 miles. LC: Phoenix, AZ.
19th: Cm1479. 42 miles. LC: Phoenix, AZ.

20th: Staceyb2003. 35.75 miles. LC: Blythe, CA.
21st: Leomentlines. 35.41 miles. LC: Blythe, CA.
22nd: Ishallnotwant. 32.1 miles. LC: Blythe, CA.
23rd: Chrissle. 31.3 miles. LC: Blythe, CA.

24th: Promethea79. 17.5 miles. LC: Palm Springs, CA.

25th: KABlackwell. 10 miles. LC: Santa Monica, CA.
26th: Mariababe81. 8 miles. LC: Santa Monica, CA.
27th: Jkw61. 6.8 miles. LC: Santa Monica, CA.
28th: Kat_renee. 4 miles. LC: Santa Monica, CA

Great Job to Maria W. and Kim - Furthest distances ever!

Jeanne - You are doing great! Movin on up!

David - I am actually tempted to see if you can lap us with the mileage that you are putting in. Are you contemplating doing any ultramarathons?

Amanda - How did your 25K Run go?

Thanks to everyone for all your pre-race meal ideas. I am going to be laying low this week because I am allowing myself some time to heal up after the half. On a side note: I will definitely be writing about my half experience, so be on the lookout for a blog from me in the next few days.

To everyone: What is the one thing you never leave home without when you go for a walk/run? Mine is my phone cause I use it for music.

Replies

• Amanda_Runs
    Amanda_Runs Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I ran 15 this week.

I didn't end up doing the 25K....knee problems still. I did a long run of 8 miles and my knee was touchy during that so I made a good choice to not do the 25K. I have a 5K this weekend, a 2.9 miler on the 29th for leap day.
  • Jessie43082
    Jessie43082 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I ran 10 last week.

How did your race go??????

I also never leave home without my phone.

I have a question - do you all typically run outside or on a treadmill? I run 10 miles fairly easy outside, but struggle to do two on the treadmill. Any advice?
  • Leslye125
    Leslye125 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I did 8 miles on Saturday... It should have been 10 miles, but on my way back, a homeless person was following me. It gave me the heebee geebee's so I called my hubby to pick me up. :ohwell:

To everyone: What is the one thing you never leave home without when you go for a walk/run?

I always have my phone (it tracks my GPS miles) my MP3 player/buds, my keys/whistle and my driver’s license ( I run alone)
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    never leave without my ipod (my phone doesn't play music), my phone, keys (depending on where I'm running work/home).
  • smurfette75
    Options
    I have a question - do you all typically run outside or on a treadmill? I run 10 miles fairly easy outside, but struggle to do two on the treadmill. Any advice?

I started running on the treadmill which made it easier for me to run outside...not sure what settings or programs you are running on.
  • Leslye125
    Leslye125 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

When I started running again, I actually started on the treadmill, I got up to about an hour on it. When I hit the road, I could hardly run a mile. Now, I have reverted back. I can run 5 miles and not think about it, but 10 minutes on the TM I want off! Temp and terrain can have huge factors on your run. Just give it time, your body will adjust.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

David - I am actually tempted to see if you can lap us with the mileage that you are putting in. Are you contemplating doing any ultramarathons?

Haha I can keep checking in if you want. I'd like to run some ultramarathons in the future. There are a couple close to us each year. There's a 50k (31 mile) and a 50 mile race on the Appalachian trail. I'm not sure when I'd do it. Part of me thinks I want a break from long distances after our marathon in April, but we'll see if I can actually take a break!

And I only take a watch with me. No phone or ipod. It's just me, the road, and my thoughts. I have pre-mapped routes that I stick to. I do have a water belt that I'll wear if it's really hot out.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    And I only take a watch with me. No phone or ipod. It's just me, the road, and my thoughts. I have pre-mapped routes that I stick to. I do have a water belt that I'll wear if it's really hot out.
    [/quote]

And by "really hot", he means 95+
    I'm dying if it's warmer than 75 and he's happy as a clam. On the flip side, he'll wear UA if it's 50 and I'll be wearing booty shorts and long socks lol

As for me, I take the droid to track my miles. I was using it to listen to This American Life and Pandora but I haven't done that since I found the playaway audio books, which are absolutely amazing. So I guess those are my 2 items :)
    Also, thanks for the shoutout! I can't believe I actually did it :D This weekend is a "short" one (12-13) and then...22. OMG.
  • Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    2/20 - 4 miles
  • PBmaria
    Options

Well, why are you struggling? boredom? bad surface? temperature? (I sweat like a pig on the treadmill...so gross)

I seem to be following this pattern of short runs (4-5) on the treadmill and long runs (12+) outside. The treadmill can get boring, so I just listen to an audiobook. There's a TV at the gym but I prefer my headphones on :)
    I've also found that covering up the screen with a shirt or something helps because I don't keep looking down and getting desperate because I'm not almost done lol
  • AliceIsRunning
    AliceIsRunning Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I haven't been running because I'm still sick. It's been two weeks now and although I'm feeling a bit better each day, I'm nowhere near close to running. I'll be back soon - I promise
  • annasgyal
    annasgyal Posts: 1,692 Member
    Options
    2/20-4.1 miles
  • smurfette75
    Options
    2.3 miles today on the track..had to cut it short because if a team practice....darn!!
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I ran 10 last week.

How did your race go??????

I also never leave home without my phone.

My race went as well as can be expected. I will be posting a blog as soon as I can find the time to write it. Work is crazy busy right now and I'm going on vacation in a week, but I will find the time at some point.

I also struggle with running on the treadmill. I don't keep a steady pace and I also have to change my stride a little when I'm on a treadmill. I can only do about a mile or two at a time. I run outside, regardless of weather. I absolutely HATE the treadmill.
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I haven't been running because I'm still sick. It's been two weeks now and although I'm feeling a bit better each day, I'm nowhere near close to running. I'll be back soon - I promise

Feel better soon!
  • smurfette75
    Options
    3.4 miles on the treadmill today. weather should be nice later this week...will try to run outside.
  • PBmaria
    Options
    3 today! :)
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    2/21 - 4 miles
  • smurfette75
    Options
    3.4 miles outside today!
  • annasgyal