Things that are stressing you out today (a place to vent)

Options
Hi once again.

Being/looking after or working with someone who has autism can be stressful in it's own right. But there are also other things out there that do the same. What with the world changing around us unforeseen changes and everything else that we have to worry about. Money, work, school, college, university. being unemployed, bills etc.

Here is a place to get what ever is stressing you out, making you anxious and or annoying you off your chest. No matter what it is big or small. Without the fear of someone belittling it or making fun of you.

I know that many of us are either on varying parts of the spectrum or have/know children who are. This means that we all have different understandings of what emotions are and have different tolerances for changes in our day to day life.

For me the biggest stressors at the moment is waiting to hear from Uni about whether I'm going there in Jan or not and the other one is my Autism testing. They're both new things that i know that I'm going to struggle going to. Hopefully in the latter I'll have someone that i know with me (the social worker that i get counselling from). I don't have a set date for either which is also making me anxious because i hate not knowing the exact tie and place i have to be well in advance of something.

Apologies if i didn't make much sense. *is typing this at 00:36 *

Replies

• VinVenture
    Options
    Exam last Friday, exam today and exam on Wednesday. Yay. This completely throws me off my daily routine, and the first room I was in had bright fluorescent lights in different colours and avant-garde modern art wall decorations. Received a stabbing headache, but without diagnosis I can't get a less distracting place. (Although I would've applied anyway had I known I'd be placed in a room like that...)

I'll be able to get back to my daily routines on Thursday, and be on them for a week, before everything goes tumultuous for the rest of the year. Contemplating telling my family of my new-found autistic traits, but severely hesitant until I have confirmed diagnosis (lest they think I'm attention whoring or attempting manipulation. They've made bigger claims over smaller issues in the past). Stupid family... *grumble*
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    Options
    I hated exams to when i was in school. Luckily due to my hyper-mobility syndrome and the pain it causes i had to sit in the seperat exam hall where anyone who needed extra time was. I feel for you with those horrible lights, i dont think that they should ba able to put anyone in a room like that to take a test. We used to do them in the sports hall school hall or the gymnasium.

I share with you the fact that the rest of the year ruins my routine. Christmas and New years are horribly hectic times. I'll be stuck in the house with four other people for at least three days, when we struggle to get on on a day to day basis.

For my parents to believe anything it has to be blatantly obvious. There's been times when i've been having a serious asthma attack and they've ignored that. If i told them, it would only end up with them ignoring it and my dad telling me that i shouldn't let people pigeon hole me. And then them ranting about how everything is perfectly normal.

Do what you think is right!
  • VinVenture
    Options
    Didn't know where to put this, figured this is as good a thread as any, as it is currently still a stress factor.

I got an official AQ test done at the psych's yesterday. I have to wait two weeks for the results, in which time it might be too late in the year to get special treatment at uni (longer time for/solitary exams, permanent study-place, etc.) and if I get it I might be entitled to an increase in loans due to the fact that I can't work outside of studies and keep up with the massive changes that it would bring right now.

So I'm stressed but exited. Hopefully it won't ruin my romantic valentine's (videogames and pizza with the boyfriend) as it's the day after.
  • Ytrid
    Ytrid Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    i am having a really hard time this last week.. my son was admitted to a childrens hospital 3 hours away from home... his behaviors got so violent that they had to evac his class room my 4 year old daughter was having to stay with family. his doctors are hoping to get his meds leveld back out and improve his behaviors, but i have been living out of a Ronald McDonald house and i find myself either not eating, binging on the sweets laying around the community kitchen, or like today having to eat dinner out and wow bad choice 1600 calories in a fast in and out stressed out dinner.. I stopped by the grocery tonight and hope to get back on track tomorrow, but it is so hard when my every thought and waking minute is with my son in the hosptial :(
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I hate waiting it the worst thing. I was better at it before my son but now I have to know everything ahead of time for him so I feel for you. And that testing room sounds terrible and I'm not autistic!

Ytrid- wow I'm sorry that sounds awful. For trying to eat healthy is there a subway near by? It's $5 foot long month so you could eat half and save half. Chick-fil-a is low cal for fast food standards.

Right now my son is feeling destructive. He has broken 4 coffee mugs, the coffee carafe, my italian wine bottle stopper, a bowl and plate, a mirror and so much more. Yesterday he pulled his tv down unto himself(both are fine). So I'm at a loss, I'm worried he's going to cut himself or his sister. I've put child locks on everything and have been keeping the sink empty and it seems to be helping but he is just looking for more things to break. Hopefully this is a short phase for him.
  • metisgirl
    metisgirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It's so nice to know we R not alone in our struggles...My day has been hectic....repetition after repetition, to no avail.....Behaviors are extreme and change like like Jeckyl and Hyde. If he doesn't like his food, he tosses it at you....he has eaten the chair upholstery, his pillow, comforter and part of the couch with his pica...Just notice he chewed his ski pants and boots as well.....My two younger boys R trying to mimick his behaviors which make it very difficult....Pharmacy was supposed to deliver new meds last night, but they forgot and now we have to wait till Monday....Hopefully these new meds will help him...other then that, a normal day in my household.......
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My big stress is money. All our T4's came and we need to buy the tax program and get them submitted. On top of our own tax returns we need to file income tax for our 3 year old for 2010 and 2009 before we can start and RDSP for him. Foolish government hurtle. March 2nd the temporary child care job I have comes to an end so that's $500 a month we won't have anymore. My Husband applied for a new job outside of the cab dispatchign industry he's worked in for the past 10 years. I really hope he likes it because the pay is great, he can get overtime, and benefits start day 1 no waiting!

April 27 2011 is when we got our Son's diagnosis, it's coming up fast and I keep reliving all the struggles we had leading up to it and the absolute devestation after getting it. Trying to get out with friends, chat it over with other autism support groups I'm in, and reading really pointless manga comics (13 in one week, new record).
  • malanu
    malanu Posts: 15
    Options
    my son was diagnosed with autism when he was 5 he is now 11 he will only eat 3 things i can get him to try one bite of something new but he never likes it he only likes bread and peanut butter and pizza he doesn't gain weight because he never sits still any advise?
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Mine never stops either but he eats everything, literally. But I have a friend that has a picky one that needs to gain weight and she has started sneaking protein powder in everything he likes that she can hide it. Making hot chocolate and chocolate milk with protein powder, oatmeal with protein powder. He gained 1 lb in 2 mos. Not much but better than he was doing!!
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My Son used to eat non food items like tile grout ect. It turned out he had a severe iron deficiency and one of the side effects is an urge to eat non-food items.

http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/episode/autism-enigma.html
    The above is a link to a doctumentary that explains how they are now exploring the possibility that gut bacteria play a major role in the development and symptoms of autism. In no way to I say it's the only answer but I've had my Son on probiotic drops for a month and he's made huge leaps in being patient when we're doing something he's not overly fond of.

Biogaia is a liquid probiotic drop. It's colourless, flavourless and can be hidden in drinks or just dripped on food (I put it on a cookie).

Another good point a parent in my school group brought up (he was told by his Son's dietician) is that most autistic children like things to remain the same. That is why so many get hooked on fast food and have very limited taste for homemade meals. One apple may be a bit sweeter than the other, carrots at dinner may be cooked softer one day than the other, meat may have more of one seasoning one time, homemade bread may vary in texture. On the other hand McDonald's french fries are the same no matter which location you go to, Wonderbread is always the same, Kraft peanut butter doesn't change it's recipes (though try offering a child who likes smooth peanut butter chunky and chances are they'll reject it).

So that's my insight on food. I still don't have the magic bullet, my Son is in an eating group in school that uses food play to get him used to new foods. I still can't name a single fruit he'll eat.
  • Ytrid
    Ytrid Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say Hello.. and that im trying to get back on the wagon Quinten spent a month in the hospital and i lost all the ground i gained(well lost in this case)... i also think that maybe 1200 calories was to little for me How many calories a day are you ladies sticking too? Is 1200 like the magic number i jsut feel like i can't function even healthy on 1200.... How is everyone doing?
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear he was in the hospital! I hope all is well with him now! :(

MFP sets a lot of people at 1200, but 1200 is too low for most people honestly (very few people have a BMR even that low much less can eat that much and fuel their body properly). I am pretty big (250 lbs, 5'5) and my bmr is 1920 something. My TDEE is 2400 something (basically my maintenance calories) and I eat that -15%, which is about 2200 calories a day. If you are starving 1200 I would suggest eating a bit more and seeing how you feel. I was eating a lot less before and it wore me down and ground my weight loss to a hault! I started eating more and feeling better (and losing again).
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    ravenclawseekergirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I' sorry that i haven't been around as much as before lately. I've been having a lot of things going on in my life at the moment the vast majority of them not particularly good. I'm glad that the board has been more active lately.
    I'm really having a bad time of it lately. Some of you know me from one of the mental health boards...if you do, i'm ill again
    i've got a new appointment for my autism assessment but i have no idea how i feel about it.

Wow all of that is very disjointed...