Introduction

Options
Hi everyone! This is raven speaking, i started this group as i noticed that i couldn't find another one... there has to be someone else out there other than me right?

Yeah...i don't tend to make much sense because i tend to go off on tangents so forgive me if i do.

I'm not currently diagnosed, but i'm going to get tested soon. Which is great and something that i've waited for for a long time.

Replies

• littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Hello! You must have just created this group--I am glad it popped up on the group homepage while I was there. Hopefully many others quickly join as well.

I am diagnosed--I've known for about 7 years. I was diagnosed in March with Aspergers, but had proper, far more thorough, testing done in June with my Dad at a better facility. My diagnosis was changed from Aspergers to classic autism which is definitely a more accurate fit for me since I didn't talk until I was close to 5 and still have difficulty with verbal communication now, even though I am technically verbal.

Anyway, I have been the fat kid my entirely life, and it just got worse as I got older. Nothing seemed to work. I tried every diet and have had, to some extent, every eating disorder. I finally got on track the healthy way. Since joining this site I've lost 9 1/2 pounds, but have lost 39 all together. I still have a very long way to go though (I have about 120 left to lose.)
  • Julie2402
    Options
    Hi, i am not autistic but i have a 13 year old daughter who was diagnosed with classic autism at the age of 3 years and 10 months. i joined this site in september and have lost 27 pounds so far. Good luck with your diagnosis and with your weight loss.x
  • Olive32214
    Olive32214 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also have a daughter with Autism, she is 12 yrs in Jan. Her diet is very restricted and eats the same
    foods every day, she knows whats healthy and whats not but wont try anything new except for sweet
    things. She has put on some weight lately and I dont want her going down the road I was on.
    Any tips from you guys. Olive.
  • Espy86
    Espy86 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hello everyone, My name is Espy my nephew is Autistic he is my everything. He is so observant, and honest and the funniest kid I know.
  • maevecamplisson
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Maeve and I have aspergers, and I'm trying to lose weight and gain muscle. :)
    I'm also vegan, and I'm considering going gluten-free (I'm already casein-free) do to possible benefits for people on the spectrum.
    *waves* I've used myfitnesspal diary on my phone for a while, on and off, but this is the first time I've gotten serious about it or talked to anyone else on the site! It's great to see an Autism group pop up as one of the first suggestions!
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    Options
    It's great to see such a wide range of people here.

@AuntyOlive I have problems trying to eat new things, though i have a larger amount of foods that i will eat.. My mum used to encourage e try new things by saying that i didn't have to eat it but just lick it. Then the second time just put it in my mouth... Try starting with things that are very similar to what she already knows that she likes, its less scary i you already know that you like something similar. I hope that it helps
    @mevecampliss I'm pretty tempted at the moment to go vegetarian i don't really eat meat and the texture really creeps me out. But living at home that's going to be struggle. Going gluten free sounds really interesting, but also hard. I'm happy that your talking to us. I know that it's sometimes hard to reach out to others. I don't tend to make too much sense a lot of the time when i tallk/write because i go off on tangents.
    @little_lilly91 Great for you that you got your diagnosis properly. We've both got a very long way to go... I have lost 32 pounds using the website before but i put a lot of it back on.
  • VinVenture
    Options
    Hi. I've recently come to the conclusion I have Asperger's. No diagnosis as of yet, but I'm getting tested come next year, due to new student loans and price of medical tests. (AQ of 43, 9 points above probably aspie, and have a severely autistic relative.)

I like lifting things. I like doing the math on how much I've lifted in total while recovering and waiting to do the next set. (Today I did over a metric ton of bench press, divided into 20 kg x various numbers of repetitions, in eight sets. That's roughly an average sized car.)

I like the Japanese concept of bento, where you have different colours, textures and flavours neatly packed into a little box, it's quite nice for lunch. It also helps focus on portion sizes. A whole lot healthier than cookies or pizza for lunch.
  • Olive32214
    Olive32214 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Thanks, ravenclawseek,
    That's great advice, will try tomorrow and let you know.
    Olive.
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    Options
    @Aunty_Olive. I'm glad that you think it's good. Really slow integration of things is good because it gives us the chance to get used to the idea first without the pressure of 'having' to try something. That technique was born from stalemates at the dinner table and screaming tantrums on my part when i was younger. Now i force myself through the anxiety it causes. I wont try completely new things but if it is an amalgamation of things i do like (strawberries+ice cream=strawberry ice cream) or a little bit different (the lower fat version of the same make of spread cheese that i like.) i can just about cope.
    I hope that it works for you and you manage to get something healthy into her diet. If you do i'm sure that you'll feel a lot less stressed. Be prepared for it not to go well the first couple of times.

Can't wait to hear how it went!.
  • Ytrid
    Ytrid Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to intorduce my self my name is Amanda i have a 8 year old on teh Autism Spectrum, he also has cerebral palsy (he was 3 months premature with a massive brain hemorrhage) i have given him so much that i over 8 years i have forgotten to take care of me too... Look forward to getting to know each other and sharing this weight loss journey togeater
  • tessal8
    Options
    Just wanted to intorduce my self my name is Amanda i have a 8 year old on teh Autism Spectrum, he also has cerebral palsy (he was 3 months premature with a massive brain hemorrhage) i have given him so much that i over 8 years i have forgotten to take care of me too... Look forward to getting to know each other and sharing this weight loss journey togeater

I feel this way too! I am new here and have 3 kids and 1 husband on the Spectrum. All diagnosed in the past couple of years, but really it was harder before I knew what was going on. Its been a rough journey full of love and effort and stretching myself. I finally feel like I have enough of a handle on it to start taking better care of myself again, so that's why I joined this site. It'll be good to get to know you.
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    ravenclawseekergirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options

I feel this way too! I am new here and have 3 kids and 1 husband on the Spectrum. All diagnosed in the past couple of years, but really it was harder before I knew what was going on. Its been a rough journey full of love and effort and stretching myself. I finally feel like I have enough of a handle on it to start taking better care of myself again, so that's why I joined this site. It'll be good to get to know you.

Hello tessal8 nice to see someone else on the board! That situation sounds something that was/is very hard to deal with, so you deserve a pat on the back, as does Ytrid. I know that understanding what is 'wrong' is so much better than wondering what it is .
  • Julie2402
    Julie2402 Posts: 126
    Options
    Hi everyone, it is lovely to read through all the advice on here regarding eating tips etc. I really struggled to get my autistic daughter to try different foods when she was little, fortunately now she is able to eat a whole variety of foods and loves vegetables, she is also obsessed with gymnastics so keeps herself very fit!! Good luck to you all on your weightloss and keep posting. x
  • tylersmama1224
    Options
    Hi, new to the group. Extremely proud mother to a brilliant 3 year old with PDD-NOS and SPD!
  • redkim615
    redkim615 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Kimberly. I'm a proud single mommy to my wonderful 4 year old autistic son, he is the light of my life. He is non-verbal and very affectionate. I have trouble getting him to eat, it is a daily struggle for us due to the fact that he has both a problem with textures and that he has a problem with change. He likes things to always be the same and when something changes it makes him uncomfortable. I use sign language with him and that has helped others communicate with him too. It is always nice to meet others in our situation because most people do not understand that we live our lives differently than others do. There are places we don't go and things we don't do because it is safer for us not to. My son would wonder off if it wasn't for the fact that I watch him like a hawk EVERY-WHERE we go...and I mean my eyes are GLUED to him the entire time. Our plans revolve around what we CAN do instead of things we can't. For example, my son hate rides- they scare him...so we don't go to amusement parks. He loves to climb, run, and jump, so a playground in a fenced-in area is perfect. He also loves the water, but he cannot swim. He has to always wear his life vest when going swimming and I am right there with him the entire time. Those people in our lives that are around him all the time understand how we do things, but those that aren't, don't.
    I'm happy to hear from others that understand.
    I joined this site to get fit so I can keep up with him, he is getting so fast the older he gets. I have to be quick on my feet to always keep him safe.
    Good luck to everyone with their weight loss efforts.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Maria! I'm in Colorado and mom to a smart, loving 5 yr old girl and non-verbal, low-functioning autistic 9 yr old boy. He makes me crazy and love him more at the same time, which I still don't understand. He doesn't have any eating problems besides the fact that he can throw a bowl clear to the other side of the house! My problem is that when he has a bad day I do too, so then that emotional eater in me comes out. Right now he is in a great place! We moved from a bad school district in Idaho to a wonderful one in Colorado where they take care of and understand him. And they don't push mainstreaming!! He just does specials and 20 minutes of reading groups where his high group buddy reads to him, that took 1 1/2 yr to work up to!! Oh and his teacher for this year and the next 2 is nothing short of amazing!! We've taken him off meds, except the ones for epilepsy, this last year which is wonderful for him. And he does speech and hippotherapy as well as private swimming lessons. Oh and then there's his spaces! His room has a carpeted wall, a loft bed, no closet doors, a toy box, TV and a swing hung from the ceiling. And his yard is a fenced in park with lots of space, a playset and trampoline. So he can have fun without the other kid interaction that throws him so much.

So now that I have taken care of him I've decided it's time to take care of me!! So I'm here. I've got 13 lbs down. 86 left to go and I'm not afraid of them! I'm swimming while my daughter is at preschool and a pilates class when I have someone to take her. And playing the Wii whenever I can!

Hopefully we can get this board moving and all help each other! Happy tracking!!
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    Options
    I just want to say hi to the four new members above this post. As i'm (possibly, still waiting for that test) on the high functioning end of the spectrum, i have a little insight into what your life is like, as well as that of the kids.
    Your all great having someone there that understands who your are as an Autistic person, is one of the most important things in my opinion. Without that consistent support, in a world that's constantly changing (my local supermarket changed their layout again) many of us would really struggle. My problem is that my person passed away in 2008, and that sort of change really freaks me out a lot.

@Maria Your son sounds like he would make a great shot putter. I'm glad that you've managed to get him the support that he needs in order to flourish and that he has personal alone space. Sometimes we just need to be alone.

@Kimberly I'm glad (you'll see that i say this a lot...) that you've managed to communicate with your son. Not having that makes a lot of non-verbal children very frustrated.

@tylersmamma Hello Whoa that's a lot of abbreviations there.

@Julie Hi i'm glad (here it is again) that your daughter has such healthy obsessions...mine have been all over the place. Some stereotypical trains, maths. science etc, but others pretty weird like when i was small i had to sleep with a t-shirt that my dad had worn that day for work....he's a welder...of diesel trains...in a hot workshop. And lets leave that at that.

Sorry that i've been away for so long. I just started uni and things have been a little hectic. I hope that we can revive this thread a little.

I'm willing to take recommendations for the resources list after all i'm sure that there's things we can all learn fro each other.
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I just found this group, it's actually the 1st I've joined. My Son was diagnosed April 27 2011 a month after turning 3 years old with autism. We live in Edmonton Alberta and thankfully we have been able to access lots of supports for him. He's grown and opened up so much in the 1 year since getting specialized help. Realizing I'm his best advocate I started MFP after a long absence to get back to a healthy weight and eliminate possible health problems in the future. My Son is a bright, happy Little Dude and knows how to put a smile on my face when I'm really feeling down.

Eating properly is hard due to my Son only eating certain foods, and my Husband is even more picky than him. Keeping up with him on his day long exploits then cooking a decent healthy meal is a real challenge. I'm hooked on take out, trying to choose healthier options with that too though.

I hope this will become a supportive and helpful group full of people watching out for and sympathizing with the challenges we all face :)
  • malanu
    malanu Posts: 15
    Options
    hi my name is Dana i have an 11 year old son with autism and both of my sisters have boys with autism life can be challenging and stressful sometimes i am glad to find this group
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Welcome Dana :)