Help - need to get back on

Options
I know it is still early in the year to have this problem, but I need help getting back on. I went out of town last week and had limited food options. Somehow within a few days, all of my bad eating habits came back and it was like I forgot all of the progress I have made. Food addiction is powerful and every time I give into it, it is SOOO hard to turn it around. I feel like I'm having to start over again and the longer I give into the food addiction, the harder it is. I lost weight in Jan but surely have gained some of it back over the past week.

Replies

• lcglog
    lcglog Posts: 24
    Options
    It's harder to stay on track when you are traveling, but now you are home. So don't focus on last week, focus on this day...today. Figure out your healthy breakfast, your snack, lunch, afternoon snack, light dinner...add in a walk over your lunch hour and take the stairs this week...that will help burn off those extra calories from last week.

For me, I can't focus on the total lbs to lose or the fact that I had pizza when I shouldn't have...just focus on what you can control. And what you can control is today.

Then learn from last week, were there other options available you could have taken...a salad unstead of a burger and fries? Could you have ordered a kids meal instead of the meals they offer off the menu boards? If you are eating at sit down resturants...skip the bread and cheese...have them bring dressings on the side not all over your healthy lettuce. Even unhealthy meals can be made "better" if you skip some of the toppings and drop the portions. I didn't say they could be your everyday go to...but we all end up in a pinch.

If you have to travel for work often, look at packing low calorie breakfast bars, your normal snack bars and pack your snacks...you can easily pack packages of nuts or an extra breakfast bar for a snack. Or stop at a grocery store or most gas stations now carry fruits and cheese...grab those for your snack. Keep it light throughout the day and then you can splurge a bit at night and still feel like you are on vacation without the guilt.:wink:
  • Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Actually, it isn't that it is too early. When you are early on in your weight loss, especially when the goal is as large as ours, we may THINK we are going to be perfect because we have the willpower, it is early, and we are strong.

Until somone sets out a tray of our very favorite cupcakes at work and our resolve goes down the drain.

EVERYONE slips, and until you have been doing this for MONTHS and you have settled into the groove, it is all that much easier. The trick is to remember how far you have come so far, and get up, dust yourself off, and begin with renewed resolve.

A friend of mine said she needs cheat days to keep her sane. So set up a day, once a month or every couple of weeks if needed, where you allow yourself to eat the things you are craving. It makes it easier to pass up that cupcake if you tell yourself that you will have an even better one if you wait until your cheat day... because it comes without the guilt.

So get back up on that track, and remember, you are in this for the long haul. A little slip doesn't need to spell failure, unless you quit. You can do it! And you are human. We all have to find something we can live with for the rest of our lives.
  • Limagoose
    Options
    Thanks for the support!
  • Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend... I like to be a cheerleader. But you need to return the favor, too! :flowerforyou: