Welcome!

Options
Thanks to several members' encouragement, here's a new group for current and former members of the military, be it Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard. Let's hear your stories, your successes and challenges!

Replies

• moonseer
    Options
    Hello, I am re-starting my weight-loss journey. I am former Navy, and looking forward to giving and getting encouragement from other military members. As well swapping stories about my service to our country. Have a great day.
  • MKCSFX
    MKCSFX Posts: 24
    Options
    Good Morning!

Active Duty 25 and counting....and lets put it this way....I have a Tshirt that reads...

REAL MEN GET TAPED!!

Been dealing with weight most of my career...roller coaster...right now I work a desk job, like I have for the last 7 years, it has put me up to my highest weight EVER!!!!

Went to a nutritionalist and I have been following a plan that he gave me...it is working...dont know about my weight but my pants are starting to fit a little better...I think that is just water though...I started this plan Monday and weighed 260...I will weigh again Mon morning...

MOON - You are taking the first step...letting people know...great start!!!

DAVE- Thanks for starting this thread...it will be good to talk to folks who know what I am dealing with...
  • usafbeach
    usafbeach Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Active duty Air Force, 6 years in so far. I can pass my PFT, but that doesn't necessarily translate into looking professional in my uniform. I PCS this summer and I intend to report to my new unit looking sharp.

Dave, thanks for putting this together.

Moonseer & MKCSFX, looking forward to seeing your progress!
  • dad040859
    Options
    Glad to see you all...Moonseer and MKCSFX, can't tell you how encouragine (and addicting!) this site has become. No negativity, judgment, etc., just support. Each of us has our own plan, and in the end we're the only ones responsible for its success. But it's nice to know we share some other common bonds.

I was remembering boot camp at Great Lakes in 1981; I lost 47 pounds in 8-1/2 weeks, despite wolfing down as much food as we could fit on our tray in our 10-minute meals in the chow hall. The success, I believe, was that we were moving physically all day long (between classes). Between drill training and marching, we were getting at least 2 hours of cardio every day.

Obviously, I'm not in my 20's anymore, but I plan to draw on those memories to get moving and doing something every day. No excuses.
  • Mo_babee
    Mo_babee Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This is a great group to start...there are some things only we would understand...lol...
    And I'm trying to get back to my basic training weight...which is 164 lbs...good luck to all
  • cmpque
    Options
    I'm retired Navy having contributed 22 years of AD service. Looking forward to giving this a shot. I've gained 20 lbs since retiring in 09. Trying to get back to my BMI healthy weight. I'm currently doing "WW Online for Men" and I've been comparing their points system vs counting calories. I will definitively continue with myfitnesspal when my WW membership expires.
  • moonseer
    Options
    I didnt really have a weight problem til about 2 yrs after I got out of the service. I had a major surgery and was not able to workout for a month :(. this was really hard on me and my body as I would ride my bike 5-7 miles a day, 6 days a week. As I was unable to work after I was discharged, I needed something to do to keep from going crazy. That was 18 yrs ago. And I am still struggling to keep some sort of activity level. I think that whats happened in the past is that the plans I were on worked at first but when I stopped seeing results I decided what the use in continuing something that wasnt working anymore, including exercising. So it is my hope that this new plan will give me long term results and I will at it. I think that a big part of success is having support. My family has always encouraged me to loose my weight. But having additional support will help.
  • dad040859
    Options
    One thing I failed to mention - thank you each and every one for your service!
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Active duty 4 years. I can pass my PT test last year it was with a 91, but still not happy with the way my uniform fits and weight i have put on since college. Trying to get close to that by June. lets hope it works!
  • gusgrace06
    Options
    I'm a former Army Captain, I started to gain weight after coming back home from Afghanistan in 2006. I left the army that September and got married to a Soldier. In the summer of 2007 my husband deployed and I gained the rest. We are both out of the army and I’m struggling now to get back in the shape that I was at one time. I’m not asking the impossible, I’m 5’9” and I was happy at 180 pounds. I have no wish to get down to the size that the military wanted me to be, I got close once and look really bad. Since getting on MFP I have lost 7 pounds. I hope to continue this trend.

Thanks
  • milkll13
    milkll13 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody! Active duty sailor here (of 9 years)... Nice to see everyone!
  • dad040859
    Options
    Hey, shipmates! Welcome...please let any military spouses know about MFP, especially those whose loved ones are deployed. This is a nice place to come for support and friendship. Good luck, keep posting every day (as best you can).
  • ryanrichard84
    Options
    Hey whats going on everyone?? Vt Army Guard, 6 years. Just re-enlisted back in July for another 6 years... Tour to Afghanistan in 2010. I am a 13D, part of the king of battle, FA. living a better lifestyle now and feels great. cheers everyone
  • dad040859
    Options
    Thanks for your service! How goes the progress with MFP?
  • smsinger75
    smsinger75 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Served 10 years in the Army. Started gaining weight after my medical discharge. My condition made it difficult to exercise. I ended up weighing more than when I was pregnant. So I found this site and started trying to get healthy again. Then I fell way off the wagon. But I recently rededicated to my diet and exercise and seeing progress already. Recently recovering from yet another surgery, so my workouts are still light. But I am getting there.
    Hope everyone is having a good week! Have a great weekend!
  • reighvin
    reighvin Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Transferred to a new job in the Marine Corps that involves a lot of sitting behind the computer, and I didn't stay on top of things, and now I am fighting the big weight battle. Started last week with a new work out program, and started using this website this weekend. I love how simple it is to use and how easy it is to keep track of the calories I am taking in. I can already feel some of the changes, and anything that makes me not have to drink the Green Monster is a good thing.
  • smsinger75
    smsinger75 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm new to the group. :) I had lots of success with MFP last year, but after I PCSed to Keesler AFB in September I've added on about 5 lbs thanks to divorce and all of the yummy food down on the coast. :9

I'm back though, and more motivated than ever! I've been active duty Air Force since July of 2006. I love making fitness a priority and I love that I can max out my pushups now. Pushups used to be the bane of my existence..
  • gochnour3
    gochnour3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Ohio Army Nat Guard Med Detachment here... almost 11 yrs- 8enlisted, up for CPT this year if I can get off the weight control program. I have never NOT been taped, but also never had an issue passing until last year when we quit smoking. Then APril 2011 I was dubbed OIC of the PT and HT/WT program for our unit....FAIL. SO> since then, I have lost 25lb and run a marathon, I pass my PT test now and just need to lose a little more. The Army is processing folks out of the guard left and right and I am not about to be on the chopping block if I can avoid it!!

Great to see the comraderie carry over to MFP- LOVE THIS! Good luck all, and look forward to making this journey together!
  • PhatShinobi
    PhatShinobi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I got out of the Marine Corps about 5 years ago due to injury after only serving for less than a year. The weight jumped on like you wouldn't believe. I am hoping to lose weight and get the aid of a physical therapist so I can re-enlist in the army. I need lots of help.