Do you have days when you don't track your food?

Options
SlinkyNewMe
SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
I was thinking that it might be a good idea to have one day of the week when I don' t track my food. I had mentioned earlier in the week, that I was becoming fed up with food. Having to weigh and log everything, has made food so loaded for me, that it has started to take away the enjoyment.

Given that when we reach our target weights it is unlikely we will continue to log our food, I wonder whether having a one day a week that is free of tracking might be a good idea.

Can I trust myself - though?

You need to eat 3500 calories extra to put on a pound - so one day is unlikely to do any harm, surely?

Replies

• susanb573
    susanb573 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You might show an uptick in weight if you ate a ton of salty foods or something on your non-log day. Othere than that, as long as you make healthy choices you will be fine. I can't imagine logging every day for the rest of my life so eventually I will have to wean off of logging every day.
  • Change_Agent
    Change_Agent Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think that sounds like a good idea. You're right, it's not something most people plan to do everyday forever so why not practice? I have had lots of days in the past where I did not log. For me, lately, logging everything has been very helpful but I'm still looking to lose quite a bit of weight. I think after I'm "there" I'll just log a bit - maybe half the day so I know what I have left in the calorie budget for dinner or something.

But, mostly, yes: don't kill enjoyment! Eating should be a wonderful experience more often than not, I say!
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be fine with one 'day off' as it were. As long as you don't go mental with it.
    I do log every day but there are days when I have to guess, like when I go out to eat or to my mum's. It's just the same really, I could be seriously under-estimating.. particularly when I have a Chinese buffet :devil:
    I like to log every day because I'm a geek with Aspergers so I actually enjoy logging and listing stuff :ohwell:
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I track religiously when trying to reach a certain goal...during maintenance, I am not as vigiliant, but I can eye a perfect portion because I've been doing it so long. Diet is 80% of the equation...so if you want to lose bodyfat...you need to track someway.

I don't track my "Treat Meal though...that is a free for all!:laugh:
  • SlinkyNewMe
    Options
    It's funny though because I am so brainwashed into healthy eating, that I track anyway, without really tracking online. It has become such a habit that it would be hard to go too much of control anyway.
  • cndrlla
    cndrlla Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I missed 2 days when I first started tracking. I think it's important to log what you eat in the beginning to have a better understanding of portion sizes. Once I reach my first goal, I will probably be a bit more lax, but for now... I need the guidance.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I think it's good to do whatever will help you stick to your plan in the long term. If a day off from tracking your food works, then do it.

There have been times when I've lost weight without tracking anything, because I have other distractions and food is really just not that much on my mind.
  • arlyn70
    arlyn70 Posts: 55
    Options
    i ll start to track today... here i cant, the only thing that is the same as you guys eat is the vegetables and fruit.. lol
    i am eating 1200 and i dont go more than that
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I used to be more lax when I was travelling or eating out, but I also found that I didn't lose weight during those times - I expected that, but once I started religiously tracking what I was consuming, I found that I was really drastically underestimating what I was actually eating when I knew I wasn't going to bother logging it. And honestly, I will probably continue to track when I'm on maintenance, because I think it helps to keep me on track, plus I like the interaction with my MFP buddies. But that's just my two cents - everyone needs to do what works for them.
  • HealthyChicana
    HealthyChicana Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I could see myself not tracking for a day once I got a hold of tracking in general. I can start with great vigor and then lose momentum quite easily. This is a pattern that hits when school, work, and the kids just overwhelm me. But I could see myself getting better at this that one day of not tracking would be great.

Laura
  • SandyMilton
    Options
    Right now I have to track.... everything. I may consider trying on occasion when I get to maintenance, but just not right now.
  • Taymay75
    Taymay75 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Currently, I'm tracking daily, except on my spike day (and that's because some things at restaurants are hard to get calories for). It's hard for me to think about maintenance, but if I really had to I will probably still track.
  • mkrbksd
    mkrbksd Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the days I don't track are not a conscious decision - they are days I just got too busy, but should have been tracking. I was just in the food tracking area trying to set up menus for the common meals (or portions of meals) that I eat so that I can add a lunch or breakfast with just a click.

I also went back to planning dinners for the week then entering it into MFP since I do have some time this morning. Then I should be able to fill in the blanks during the week quicker and with less pain!

Tracking is tedious, but a good lesson on figuring out what is going in your mouth. I'm a mindless eater; I can have ice cream for lunch then completely "forget" and have another serving after dinner. I decided my first step is to track EVERYTHING I eat so I become more mindful of what I eat during the day.

I think with time, understanding of portion sizes and moving towards maintenance, it's good to have days you don't track, so that your new eating habits are more comfortable for you.
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I don't typically log on weekends - mainly because I just don't take the time. But I do try my best to keep track of what I eat in my head, drink water and exercise at least once over the weekend. Basically unless its a special event I try not to over-indulge on weekends. And drink lots of water!
  • DocNikki7
    DocNikki7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to change how many calories the application has you set for. I want to take in less calories than it has me set for. It has me gauge for alot of calories a day, with a 2 lb loss a week.
  • saffronblue
    saffronblue Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just came home from a trip out of state to see a friend with cancer...I didn't track a thing! I know I probably gained and have decided that it's ok. I needed to see her and have that break while I was there. I am ready to start all over first thing tomorrow.
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I always track my food but not always on here. Some days just in my head.
  • sandiburn
    Options
    what ever works for you is what you should do. I track it everyday because i dont want to loose my logged in days. It keeps me accountable.
  • maybebaby40
    Options
    I like to track everyday- I think it helps me stay motivated
  • SlinkyNewMe
    Options
    Well this is it. I am going "off piste" so to speak. I will not track food or exercise for one whole week!

I am on a bit of a plateau at the moment. I raised my calories to 1400 and I am so reluctant to raise them again. So by doing this I will probably be eating more than 1400 - it's just that I won't know that!

After so many weeks of tracking (since I joined MFP in January, and prior to that with Weight Watcher since October 2011), it feels a bit strange. But I think I get it now. Eat healthily, do moderate exercise, have the occasional small treat. I get it OKAY!