Who's Gone Paleo?

Options
I've been crossfitting for four months now! (Whoa! Really? I just counted that up -- it went so quickly.) In the past four weeks I've really decided I want to clean up my diet hard core. I spent November making small, sustainable changes to my eating lifestyle, and am probably 90-95% paleo (that coffee creamer isn't going anywhere haha) I've noticed a huge difference already in how I feel. I'm pretty close in terms of my goals for size/fat (as in I'm not overweight), but I still want to lose some fat. I realize that at this point it is going to go slowly and take a very long time. (I've actually been only focusing on my strength goal-setting. I can see those improvements happening more quickly and it's very satisfying!)

Who else has dabbled in paleo? What are your experiences/thoughts/tips and pointers?

Replies

• Sbiscotti
    Sbiscotti Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I've done Paleo when my box has done month long challenges, but have never stuck to it strictly. It's great for getting your numbers down (numbers as in body fat%, blood pressure, weight, etc.), but I found that for me, I don't have nearly enough energy for work and doing 2+ wods/day. There is a Paleo called Paleo for Athletes (http://www.trainingbible.com/pdf/Paleo_for_Athletes_Cliff_Notes.pdf)

I've never tried the true Paleo for athletes. Instead I've just worked on eating pretty clean at least 80% of the time (2-3 cheat meals/wk though I'm trying to get it down to 1). But I have dairy in the form of cottage cheese or Greek yogurt daily to help up my calcium and protein intake. And of course I have to have milk in my latte - though I've tried to limit that to 2-3 times per week. I also incorporate higher glycemic carbs such as sweet potatoes. I do feel a million times better eating clean (which I started toward the end of October) and my body fat has definitely dropped.

The only thing I would change about what I do if I were trying to lean out is eliminate the sweet potatoes - but be aware that it'd leave me super run down for awhile until I readjusted.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm one week into a paleo challenge with my box and I am surprised at how good I feel. Our challenge isn't super strict -- we are allowed coffee, bacon. I've been just eating meat, eggs, veggies, nuts and some fruit. On the 2nd day I felt tired but by the 3rd day I was feeling like my normal self. I have been eating a lot more veggies than I normally do.

I've been cooking a lot more and I'm someone who hates to cook. Right now I just cook everything the same way -- roast in oven. One day I will roast a chicken or pork roast or some beef. The next day I will roast some veggies. And then I just eat the meat and veggies for a few days. For more variety, I am going to have fish also this week. I try to limit fruit to first thing in the morning and pre/post workout.

My energy has been good. I have not felt like my workouts were suffering.

For me, I think just completely eliminating the grains, legumes, dairy makes it easier. If I allowed myself a little, I'd want more.

I will admit though that probably when our challenge is over, I will allow myself dairy and chocolate. But I hope to make this paleo way of eating a lifelong thing.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    been doing it "mostly" for last couple of weeks as i read "the paleo solution" and feel amazing and think i am already even seeing a change. not really missing many things because putting in things that i have avoided for so long because i thought i shouldn't eat them...i.e. bacon! the only hard part for me is alcohol.. i still love my glass of wine!
  • charlesguimont
    Options
    Sorry for my english writing I'm frensh canadien ... :-)

Im on paleo since 2 years now, and its just amazing ! My allergy to pollen, dust, etc ... have reduced by 80%, I need 2 hours less sleep to have the same energy level than before, I'm now 8% bodyfat, I can see my abs all the time ... And I eat near 500 calories over what I should normally eat for my size and activity level .... I love it ... In the 2 first month of my paleo I have blown a plateau and increase my strengh by aprox 15% ...

Tips: Use Coconut oil ! Do some research on that ... it just put your body in fatburning mode right away, I allwase begin my day with some ... + in contain some great polyphenol that kill bacteria and virus ...

Sometime after a crazy workout I do a glucose load .... I basically add some white rice to my meal, since I'm not use to it, my insuline kick in hard and over full my muscle with glucose ... seams to be pretty anabolic ... but dont over do it ....

If you really whant to cut faster, (sometimes its more dificult for girl), zig zag your calories .... If you go to low calorie your body shut down your metabolism ... you need to kick it at lease onece a week. My wife do ... Saturday and Sunday ... like 400 calories more than maintnance, and Mon, Tue, Wed, she go 300 calories under .... The zigzag is very effective to cut fat.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i've gone paleo since november (from a vegetarian diet for the prior 2 years) and have NEVER felt better!

The main driver to go veggie to paleo was a new found gluten allergy, i finally found out what life was like with out chronic heart burn. Since cutting out grains and focusing on grass fed beef, free-range chicken, organic/cage free eggs, organic veggies, and some fruits I feel amazing. Since January i've focused on the oils side of things and am now tweaking the dairy. I never drank milk but I still enjoy cheese and greek yogurt---i'm just working on moderate intake of these!

I no longer have 2 pm energy slumps, I have PLENTY of energy to get me through my two work outs each day (one during lunch and one after work 3-5 x a week). I also do long runs on Sundays and am perfectly fine doing this while eating paleo. My carbs are between 75-150 g a day just depending on how I feel.

It wasnt my initial intent, but I've lost 8 lbs since going paleo. I do not feel near as bloated and can see more definition than before.

Bottom line: its AWESOME!!!!
  • charlesguimont
    Options
    O yea , forgot to mention .... people who have lack of energy on paleo often don't eat enough fat. So there body still work on sugar burning mode, and since they don't have a lot of carbs, they feel low energy .... Your primary source of energy is fat now so, you have to get enough of it !!! If you want to break the addiction to sugar you can do a small Keto Diet of 5 days ... ( 0 carbs, only fat and protein). My caloric ratio are 50%fat 30%protein 20%carbs ..... keep in mind that fat is 3 times more caloric for the same weight ....
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I just finished up a 30 day Strict Paleo with my box last week. Before i was eating clean with a Primal slant...so for me it was just a matter of dropping out dairy and a few other little things.

One thing I did do since I am looking to loose weight was really cut my carbs...the first week I was snacking on a lot of fruit so my daily carbs were still above 150 - once I dropped the carbs to about 75 or under a day weight started coming off on a consistant basis...I did one fruit a day and usually it was berries in the evening...

If you go back into my diary 2-3 weeks you can see what I was eating on a daily basis...

Fats were a biggie for me...I use a lot of coconut oil...I don't always track it in MFP...i.e. if I am sauteeing in it I usually don't account for it (I set my calories a bit lower at 1350/day to offset the things I don't keep a close track on...but I would say I probably have an extra 150 calories or so in things like olive and coconut oil that I sautee things in) - the only time i accoutn for it is if it goes into a recipe as in ingrediate or if I fry in it (usually salmon cakes) since that will soak up more and I am using a lot more to fry rather than sautee...

We did a BF analysis before and after...

my stats were

before - 30.04% BF

After - 26.62%

I lost 5 lbs and almost 6 "

when I started I was wearing size 16 pants...now 14's are a little bit large on me...so even though only 5 lbs were lost - big difference in body shape...(I am a short curvy gal from hearty peasent stock :))

Now that I am done with strict paleo I plan on continuing - BUT I am adding a small bit of dairy back in - mainly in the form of butter, dark chocolate (hello Trader Joe 72%) some cheese here and there and half and half (during the strict paleo I used lite coconut milk from the can for my coffee - it was ok) - I will say I may go back to a lower carb coffee creamer (like the Naturals Sweet Cream flavor) because I like it and if that is the major "bad" thing i have in my diet I can live with that...

I will say after eating strict for the past month i have no cravings for non-paleo food...I had a piece of cake last night for my husbands birthday because my daughters wanted me to have a piece (and I wanted to show them a healthy diet can include a sweet treat every now and then) - even though it was small about 1/2 hour after I ate it I felt sick to my stomach
    ...I think mainly because of all the sugar at one time...
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    I just started just shy of 2 weeks - signed up for a body comp class at the box - it was an adjustment to say the least, but I'm staying with it - will know more in another 2 weeks.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Mostly primal here, I choose to keep a small amount of dairy in my diet (some cheese - cottage, and some greek yogurt in my fruit smoothies). I managed to kick the creamer in my morning coffee by swapping with a tsp of coconut oil.

I've been bad lately and it shows - I've allowed pasta and tortilla wraps back in my plan and I've gained 5 pounds. I need to get serious and clean again since I'm not making it to my box as regularly as I did before (they changed the schedule and I lost my morning class)

when I go 100% paleo, I was able to lose 6 pounds in 30 days, and I gained strength (CF Total saw +3 pounds on strict press & +5 lbs on deadlift).

Charles - Quebecoise aussi!
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I did the 30 day strict Paleo starting early Feb and have relaxed a bit since then (cheese and yogurt for me, he doesn't tolerate the dairy as well). We've had a few cheat days and felt pretty awful after. We've both lost body fat and inches (two belt holes for him) and our IBS symptoms have dissapeared, except for the times we cheated of course, and his severe heartburn is all but gone. It has gotten remarkably easy to turn down the treats and grains, I just don't crave them anymore, and now I know how great I feel without.
  • sapalee
    Options
    Blood sugar crashes are a thing of a past too.

As far as tips: The biggest thing that has helped us is to plan out dinners and make extra for lunch the following day. Saves us money and the scramble of what to pack/buy for lunch.
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I went full/strict paleo for all of February, but added dairy back in this month (greek yogurt is a staple!) I love it. I definitely feel better, have less digestive issues, etc. I find it's pretty easy to do intuitively now too, most recipes are fairly simple to convert to paleo/primal standards. Since I'm the cook in the house, my whole family eats this way. The kids were apprehensive at first but now they ask for snacks of carrots or celery and consider yogurt to be dessert. We all still have our treats of course. The kids would run away from home if I never let them have mac and cheese again, and I am a sucker for a good plate of spaghetti, but those are all few and far between.
  • sapalee
    Options
    I'm not sure how to link you to it but there is a Paleo group as well.