What to do for dinner when you're at the barn all evening???

Options
I thought I'd throw this out to my MFP horse friends to see if anyone has this same problem or any ideas for solutions: I work a 8-5 job on the weekdays, then rush home to change into my riding clothes (or even change here at work if I remember to bring clothes with), then head straight to the barn to ride. The problem is when I finally get home at 8 or 9pm I've missed dinner, so I'm either starving or not really hungry at all, but feel like I should to eat. Then I'm feeling guilty for eating so late (as I've always heard that's bad for you) or I'll some times hit up a fast food drive thru on the way to or from the barn, which I don't even like & it's rarely good in the first place. Anyone find themselves in this same situation? Any ideas to better plan for dinner? Or is eating a big lunch and a snack good enough? Thanks!

Replies

• disp53
    disp53 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I work midnights so I don't have your problem. I get off work at 8am, do chores, run errands and get to bed at 10am. I get up at 4pm and start my day.

I have 5 mini meals a day, approx 3 hours a part. 2 are protein shakes, 1 is a fiber bar, the other 2 are a meat/veg/fruit type meal.

I will bake or grill chicken breast and put 4oz in a freezer container, add a serving of veggies, a serving of brown rice and a couple tablespoons of broth for moisture when you reheat it. I usually make 6 of these and they typically last a week.

You can also premake a packed dinner so to speak the night before. Whole grain bread with turkey and veggies and an apple (give your horse the core when your done). Pack in a 90 calorie fiber bar just in case you need it.

Hope that helps!
  • MAGNIFIEDME
    MAGNIFIEDME Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I also work 8-4 weekdays so if I'm riding in the evening I run into the same problems - so I bring my clothes to work to change and on the way to the barn I stop and pick up a 6" sub from Subway. I munch on this when I get to the barn then I ride. Either that or I have a bite to eat at my desk around 3pm-3:30 as a mini supper so that I'm not hungry and then have a small "snack" meal like a bowl of cereal when I get home from the barn.
    If I don't eat then I get very hungry and I don't like eating dinner at 8pm but I can do a snack for sure

maggie
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell bean and cheese burrito (370 cal) and a diet coke. Not health food, but it keeps me from starving.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell bean and cheese burrito (370 cal) and a diet coke. Not health food, but it keeps me from starving.

Exactly. Well, one fresco bean burrito for each horse I ride. I love Taco Bell and relish being too wiped out to avoid the drive-through ;-)

I am also a huge fan of sandwiches. There's no shame in a bowl of cereal or oatmeal either. (carbs at night won't kill you ;-)
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    We also keep animal crackers on hand as horse treats. They can also be used as survival rations for those nights when I am too busy/stupid to grab a burrito on the way to the barn. :-)
  • CristiLynnB
    Options
    I do that, too. I work 8-4:30, then have to swing by daycare and get my daughter, then to the barn. I usually stop at home to change clothes and grab us a snack. I also only have 1 horse to ride a day... just my good mare. My others are young and I don't have time to work with them... I leave that up to my husband.

So after I'm finished roping or working barrels or whatever, I take my daughter home and get her some supper. Usually by this point I'm just not hungry because of my snack when I stopped to change clothes, so I just don't eat again. But if I am hungry I'll fix something small for myself. I don't wait on Hubby to eat supper because he's not usually home until 8 or 9pm so I put daughter to bed and fix up his supper then head over to my workout room and get my exercise on!

I'm glad there is a group here that understands my commitment to my horses!