BG Testing Frequency

Options
timbittes
timbittes Posts: 12 Member
Hi Everyone,

Just curious. How many times do you on average test BG per day? I test from 6-10 times in a 24 hour period (breakfast to breakfast) depending on whether I am exercising. eating different etc...

I remember when I was first diagnosed and in a honeymoon period I met an "old guy" with Type 1 who told me he got up in the middle of the night to test and adjust his insulin if necessary. I thought man that guy is insane. Now that I am older and doing the same I was wondering if this was the norm or am I testing excessively.

Pain Math:
And my poor fingers sure have paid the price. I have been diabetic for 23 years x 4 times a day testing (average probably higher) = 33,580 finger pokes and counting.

Thanks in advance.
Tim

Replies

• KLK1986
    Options
    I test upon waking up, before lunch, before dinner, before bed. When I work out I test before and after. If I feel low I test (except in the middle of the night - then I just roll over and grab my jelly beans). So my range varies from day to day.
  • JMM_623_
    JMM_623_ Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I test before each meal and when my pump beeps (2 hours) after. I also test after I work out and if I feel funny. It ranges between 7-10x a day.
  • wannabthin65
    wannabthin65 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi Tim,

My name is Diane & I was diagnosed just diabetic 39yrs ago. I was started on pills & back then my blood was checked at a lab 1x/month--there were no home testing machines. The pills stopped working, I got very sick,developed ketoacidosis & was hospitalized 9 days & started on insulin. I still had blood drawn in lab for years. I dont remember when the BG machine came out but even then did not check blood more than 1x/day but only took insulin 1x/day. As years passed & treatment became more fine tuned accuchecks became more frequent. Now I check BS before each meal, 2-3 hrs after each meal & at bedtime. If I have a low I check to see what it is & treat. Then I check it again 30 min. after treating. If its still low I treat again & recheck in 30min until I have a normal reading. So thats a minimum of 7x/day. My fingers are a mess too! But I do have the best control Ive ever had in my like. And since tracking everything on MFP my insulin dose has been decreased 3x.

If you want to chat about any other thing, message me. If you like, friend me too.

Good luck & God bless,
    Diane
  • Diana0924
    Options
    I guess I'm a bad diabetic. I've been Diabetic for 25 yrs, as long as my eating is "normal" and I'm feeling ok, I do not test near as often as anyone said. I some times do not test it all all for a few days. I will then test it to make sure that I'm still on track. If not, I will test it a few times a day for a couple days. If my sugars are running really low or high, I will test it more frequently. I usually can tell by how I feel if my sugar is high or low, but will test it before eating or taking more insulin just to be sure.
    Many years ago, my doctor told me that as long as my readings are good to just make sure once a week I test it at least 4 times to get a feel for how it is doing.
  • tarakay84
    Options
    I test before each major meal, and usually after, and at bedtime. So 5-8 times a day.

I'm bout to get my pump on Monday so I will test even more often.
    They sd i will hv to wake up to test for awhile.

I've had it 12/13 yrs and my fingers look bad too! ;-)