Hi I need some friends.

Options
Hi everyone. I am really new here. I just started yesterday and was so happy to learn that there is a MS group. You guys are the first group I have reached out to for support. I have been a little nervious to actually go to support groups in my local area. I was diagonsed offically in July of 2011. My first attack was November of 2010 when my body went numb from the waist down. My son was only 5 months old and I really didn't want to belive that it could be incurable, so I decided to take my first doctors advice and wait it out to see if it was a one time only thing or MS? I started to recover after about four months and then took a down ward sprial and lost the feeling in my left arm and hand. I have a new doctor and am trying to stay positive. I started Betaseron a few months ago and am hoping it will help.

Replies

• Tari150
    Tari150 Posts: 17
    Options
    Glad to meet you. I'm 49 years old and have had MS for 30 years. Although I started out by losing my eyesight and having a little trouble walking, both those things cleared up. Since then I have been relatively symptom free aside from extreme fatigue. Recently I have had some cognative troubles. MS makes things hard at times, and being overweight only makes it worse. I want to only have to deal with the MS, not weight issues too.

I really like MFP and have done really well on it (17 lb lost). I hope you do as well. I hope you see great improvement on the Betaseron. You might check one of the first postings for the group, it's about taking cinnamon each day to help with symptoms.

Have a great day!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Hi there--your story is so similar to mine! I was diagnosed after I had numbness/tingling from my feet to my waist last March 2011, and I waited it out, then had new numbness/tingling in my left hand and right face in May. I had an episode of double vision a couple years before but nothing was diagnosed at the time. I've been on medication since July of 2011 and have been doing pretty well so far. I actually feel like if it hadn't been for this, I wouldn't be so focused on my health. So far I've lost 26 pounds or so since the summer and working on a little more. Welcome to the group ;)
    Christina
  • huds_mommy
    Options
    Thanks for all your support. It has been really nice to make some new friends who understand exactly what it feels like to have MS.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hi there - welcome to MFP! I had a similar onset of symptoms when I was diagnosed in 1999 - numbness in the legs and my left foot kept "dropping" (I tripped over everythin until I realized what was happening). I've had a couple of hospitalizations from MS, been on all the ABC drugs plus Rebif, and now I'm off all medication and have been symptom free for more than 5 years. Getting in better shape and more physically active seems to be helping stave off the fatigue, though when I don't get enough sleep it comes back with a vengeance.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • SuperTonya3
    Options
    Hi! I'm newly diagnosed as well. It's been a little over a year for me. I started with some tingles in my neck when I looked down. I started seeing a chiropractor thinking I had a pinched nerve or something. Then my left arm went numb for like 6 weeks. Then a few months later my right arm did the same thing. It wasn't until I lost the vision in my left eye that I had an MRI and was diagnosed.

I've been doing much better since I got on medication. I do have bad days here and there, days when I feel numb and tired, but I'm mostly doing great.

Nice to meet you!
  • mdfishinggirl
    Options
    Thank you for "reaching" out! I am very glad you did. It is helpful to know that others can understand what you are going through, even though MS is different for each person. I was dx'd in 2004, but when I was 25 and pregnant with my first child, I had my first MS symptoms. I was paralyzed on the right side of my body for a month. It happened again when I was dx'd. I have been on two clinical trials and currently take the one I did my last trial for. Please feel free to add me :) MFP has been a great help in my weight loss journey (and my MS journey). WELCOME!!
    Missi (mdfishinggirl)
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome.

I was diagnosed with RRMS in Mar/08 - but my neuro believes I've actually had MS for probably 20-25 years. The lightbulb went on when my optic neuritis was diagnosed in Feb/08 after years of eye problems. Luckily for me my optometrist is a big supporter of keeping notes and networking to get a diagnosis - his careful records were a big help in getting a final diagnosis quickly.

SuperTonya3: Your tingles in the neck are called "l'hermittes symptom". You can look it up
    http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/LHermittessign.html I find it really difficult to do regular situps because of this.

Bea
  • SuperTonya3
    Options
    Interesting!! I only had the sensations for a short time and really haven't noticed them since. Probably just when that lesion was active or something. But that does sound like exactly what I had!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I've had lhermitte's sign since May of last year! It's a weird sensation but doesn't hurt or anything, and lately haven't noticed it as much. It's just odd. It's a cervical lesion that causes it and I think I read somewhere about 25% of people with MS have it at some point.
  • nienonline
    nienonline Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just invited you to be my friend... Forgot to say in the message that I have MS as well!

l'Hermitte is really weird to experience, I've had it too. It took a long time, but it disappeared after a few years. Sometimes though, when I'm really tired, I have some residu sensations.
  • SherryGirl
    Options
    I was diagnosed with RRMS May 2010. A day my life was changed forever! I look at things differently now. I deal with the symptoms as they appear and stay positive and active. My Nero said I have had it all my life and I have just dealt with the symptoms one at a time no really knowing what was going on until my major relapse in May 2010 that knocked me off my feet and in bed for 6 wks. I fit in my fitness and healthy lifestyle and make sure I stay positive as possible.... it is a struggle but Your not alone. Said to say but it is true. I helps to talk to others going through the same things. ..... hang in there and keep moving. As my nero said, you don't use it you may loose it! So build up your sternum and go with the flow.