If you're hungry - EAT!

olivia3263
olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
Hey guys! I've been getting some confused messages surrounding the same topic so I just wanted make sure everyone is understanding one very important element of this plan. Figuring out your numbers with the 1000 calorie deficit is just to make sure you know your bare minimum of what to eat.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO KEEP A 1000 CALORIE DEFICIT EVERY DAY.

It's just a guideline. If you try to keep a 1000 calorie deficit every day, and you have less to lose, you WILL be hungry. You shouldn't be aiming for the green number to be 1000 everyday. What kind of deficit you're comfortable with is up to you and will be different for every person. Some might like to zig zag that number - a couple high deficit days, a couple low deficit days - heck, even a day at 0. Some people might like to stick right in the middle (around 500) for losing 1 pound a week. Whatever your style, you should be comfortable. If you end the day wanting to gnaw your arm off because you're so hungry, you're not going to last very long on this weight loss journey. I know it's tempting to want to get as close to 1000 as you can, but PLEASE listen to your body. If you're hungry, or lacking energy, or just downright cranky - EAT SOMETHING. Keep it small, and keep it balanced with carbs and protein, but an extra treat at the end of the day is not going to derail your progress - unless that treat is a gallon of ice cream, then it might :p

Replies

• tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    thanks - that helps. :)

Bet you will be glad when you have to stop babysitting us....LOL
  • Very good. I'm glad you reminded people of that! Also the reminder that we should not ever be going below our BMR! I did ONE day this week and I was starving that night! The next day I ate a LOT and was still starving at bedtime so I just went ahead and had a protein shake...and when I woke up and weighed the next morning (yesterday), I was at my lowest in a year! :D

Sometimes I wonder if I should be following your method because I still have about 17-22 lbs to lose and I'm not a runner, really (I used to run more, and might do more starting in the spring, but I'm kind of focusing on strength training and low to moderate cardio for the winter months). It's still nice to go for the green at the end of every day! I just keep mine between 0 and 400, up and down all over the place to keep things moving (zig-zagging!).
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    thanks - that helps. :)

On the contrary! It's always been the case that I learn the most when I'm teaching others. I've learned SOOOO much just trying to solve other people's problems and answering their questions. I'm a teacher by trade anyway (music, not nutrition haha) but really, the best way to wrap your head around something and really understand it is to try to explain it to someone else.

So, thank YOU! :)
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Sometimes on MFP I just have to do the "palm to forehead." How many times do I see on here, "But I'm hungry. What do I do?"

GEEZUS PEOPLE! IF YOU ARE HUNGRY, WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO!? It makes me want to pull my hair out.

Thank goodness much more mild-mannered people like yourself are the ones who politely indicate that hunger is your body telling you that you need to eat. (:
  • thanks - that helps. :)

On the contrary! It's always been the case that I learn the most when I'm teaching others. I've learned SOOOO much just trying to solve other people's problems and answering their questions. I'm a teacher by trade anyway (music, not nutrition haha) but really, the best way to wrap your head around something and really understand it is to try to explain it to someone else.

So, thank YOU! :)

Your welcome :)

Thanks for remind us.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    I have thought for a long time that if you are hungry while trying to lose weight, you are doing something wrong. Since the day I started a little less than 6 months ago, I haven't been hungry unless it was time to eat!
  • I went into my goals profile and changed the calories to 1251 based on my BMR instead of the 1200 generic one I started off with. This will more accurately reflect the end numbers right?
  • Hi everyone,

I really want to try this Olivia Method but I am lost. I keep reading all the posts but not sure how to set up step 2 and 3. My BMR is 1379. So I changed my daily calories to this but it's not enough for me. I still feel really hungry and I totally don't get the green number. Can someone please help me set up my daily calorie intake? I am currently working out about 3-4 times per week.
  • 1jeaniebeanie
    1jeaniebeanie Posts: 86 Member
    Hi everyone,

I really want to try this Olivia Method but I am lost. I keep reading all the posts but not sure how to set up step 2 and 3. My BMR is 1379. So I changed my daily calories to this but it's not enough for me. I still feel really hungry and I totally don't get the green number. Can someone please help me set up my daily calorie intake? I am currently working out about 3-4 times per week.
    Set your Weight loss goal to Maintenance and zero work outs per week... That will be your net calorie "goal #" Then you need to keep in mind that you need to eat your BMR "1379" and at the end of the day after eating your calories you should have a "remaining Calories" number showing between 500-1000...

This number left is the calorie deficit you are allowing yourself to lose weight. For instance, 500 left= 1/2 pound each week...etc.. I hope that helps...

As far as exercising calories that you earn... You take your maintenance # and subtract your BMR# this difference will = your target exercise# to hit...Any calories that go over this number each day... You should also eat those additional calories back too... =)

Good luck!!! for example... in case I just caused more confusion... here is my set up...

I weigh 202 lbs, work out 5-6 times per week.
    My Maintenance is 2030
    my BMR 1630
    My exercise goal is = 406 (2030-1624=406)
    I make sure I eat my BMR (1630) each day and any extra calories I burn over 406.
  • 1jeaniebeanie
    1jeaniebeanie Posts: 86 Member

This number left is the calorie deficit you are allowing yourself to lose weight. For instance, 500 left= 1/2 pound each week...etc.. I hope that helps...

One error- 500 remaining calories is actually a 1 pound a week loss. not 1/2lb....
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    This is the only 'method' I have stuck to. It works! It's simple!

But, you cannot maintain a 1000 calorie deficit every day if you are on the 'smaller' side.

I'm 169cm, 72.6kg, 29.2% BF and I can only go one or two days with 1000 cal remaining!

Food is fuel, the type of exercise I do burns a lot of food energy rather than 'fat' energy, if you get what I mean.
    I NEED to put more food in the more I exercise!! As long as I'm below maintenance, I'm happy. (Preferably around 500 cal remaining though.)

Thanks Olivia, this way makes SOOOO much more sense than a net above 1200!!
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Set your Weight loss goal to Maintenance and zero work outs per week... That will be your net calorie "goal #" Then you need to keep in mind that you need to eat your BMR "1379" and at the end of the day after eating your calories you should have a "remaining Calories" number showing between 500-1000...

As far as exercising calories that you earn... You take your maintenance # and subtract your BMR# this difference will = your target exercise# to hit...Any calories that go over this number each day... You should also eat those additional calories back too... =)

Good luck!!! for example... in case I just caused more confusion... here is my set up...

I weigh 202 lbs, work out 5-6 times per week.
    My Maintenance is 2030
    my BMR 1630
    My exercise goal is = 406 (2030-1624=406)
    I make sure I eat my BMR (1630) each day and any extra calories I burn over 406.

I went one step further and make my BMR what it will be at the weight I want to weigh. My goal weight is 145lbs and BMR for me at 145 is 1489. BMR for my current weight is much higher. So I choose to eat like I want to weigh and hopefully when I get closer to goal weight, I won't have to change my eating for maintenance; I'll already be eating maintenance. BMR for 145 lbs is still higher than MFP's standard 1200 calorie limit for people who have more to lose. So I get more calories, I'm eating the same as someone maintaining at 145 lbs and I can see my daily calorie deficit in green.
  • jojo1371
    jojo1371 Posts: 33 Member
    I'm just wondering, I've set up all of my numbers and stats and I am now on track.
    As far as exercise goes, I want to make sure that I log my exercise calories accurately so that I can get an accurate deficit count.

What would you say is the best method for calculating calories burned? MFP exercise tracker, or should I invest in a HRM?
    Or if my treadmill says I burned 350 calories, just log that?
  • shydaisi
    I'm just wondering, I've set up all of my numbers and stats and I am now on track.
    As far as exercise goes, I want to make sure that I log my exercise calories accurately so that I can get an accurate deficit count.

What would you say is the best method for calculating calories burned? MFP exercise tracker, or should I invest in a HRM?
    Or if my treadmill says I burned 350 calories, just log that?

The most accurate would be a HRM or BodyMediaFit/BodyBugg/FitBit.
    I use the MFP calculations or the burn listed on other websites. I haven't had a problem yet using those numbers, but I definitely have a BodyMedia Fit at the top of my wish list!
  • jojo1371
    jojo1371 Posts: 33 Member
    Thanks so much for getting back to me...
    Now just one more question, I promise...

Currently my stats are:
    BMR: 1302
    Maintenance: 1692
    Exercise: 610

I know that it says not to eat less than my BMR which is 1302.
    Today after setting my calories remaining to 1692, I've eaten about 700 calories so far, which means my new remaining is 992 without exercise today...why can't I just keep it at that which is still lower than 1000 deficit slightly? It's that green number I'm focusing on.

I'm sorry if it sounds confusing, but why exercise when I can just reduce my calories by eating less and still achieving the 1000 deficit to lose 2lbs a week?
  • shydaisi
    Because it isn't healthy to eat that small of a number of calories each day. The purpose of eating your BMR is to ensure your body is getting the nutrients and energy needed to function.