Geeky Stuff on NETFLIX

Options

Replies

• tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    OMG! I :heart: :heart: :heart: The IT Crowd! Roy is my IT hero!

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

"You do know how a button works, don't you? No, not the kind on clothes. I'm sorry, are you from the past?" :laugh:
  • Amalthia79
    Options
    Anyone remember the 80's TV show Beauty and the Beast? With Linda Hamilton. They have it on Netflix, only some of the episodes :grumble: but George R.R. Martin worked on the show and he is in one of the episodes! It was fun to watch them after not seeing them for so long. Plus I :heart: Vincent!
  • maxmariesfo
    maxmariesfo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Anyone remember the 80's TV show Beauty and the Beast? With Linda Hamilton. They have it on Netflix, only some of the episodes :grumble: but George R.R. Martin worked on the show and he is in one of the episodes! It was fun to watch them after not seeing them for so long. Plus I :heart: Vincent!

Ron Perlman is a Nerd Icon! I'm a huge Hellboy fan.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Sherlock.

If you haven't seen it, get it. Get it NOW!

Written by Steven Moffat. The man who made Doctor Who a household name. Er, title?

(is anyone else offended by how trendy The Doctor has become?)

The second season comes out in May. Again, with the sadly short seasons. The fellow who plays Sherlock has signed on for the next JJ Abrams Star Trek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kewHgXwgemk

I looooove this new take on Sherlock! He's like a messy Sheldon hopped up on nicotine :laugh:
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Supernatural
    Merlin
    The 4400
    Stargate SG1
    The Guild
    The Walking Dead

I ADORE The 4400, such a shame it got cancelled, the final episode was fantastic!
    Babylon 5 (woooooo)
    American Gothic - very short lived but awesome
    Farscape
    Twin Peaks - one of my all time fav tv shows
    Spaced
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Not TV shows, but there are TONS of great movies (geeky and otherwise) on there as well.

A couple of lesser-well-known ones I've seen on Netflix recently and really enjoyed were:
    - Wristcutters: a love story, which is about the afterlife for people who kill themselves, which is just like the real world, just slightly worse. It's hilarious and quirky.
    - Ink, which is about people who control our dreams (some who bring good dreams and others who bring nightmares) battling over the soul of a little girl. I'm not describing it very well, but it was very good. If anyone saw the movie version of the russian book Nightwatch and enjoyed it you'd like this movie.

They're not straight up space ships and aliens geeky, but there's elements of sci-fi/fantasy in both of them.
  • fubar2us
    fubar2us Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The Guild

Supernatural = If you try getting into now on TV stop. Start from the begining and watch the first 5 seasons. Love the show but still think it could have ended nice right there.

Twin Peaks

Dr. Who.= I still can't get into the new ones for some reason. Loved the old ones, all the way back to the first DR.

The last Lovecraft: Relic of Cthulhu
    The Call of Cthulhu

and all the obvious ones that everyone knows about and are trying to find time to watch.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    The Gamers: Dorkness Rising

Not the best movie cinematography wise, but absolutely hysterical if you're a gamer of any kind.

OMG my sister and I quote that movie obsessively ... We also make people watch it lol
  • kellymorris55
    kellymorris55 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Resident Evil Degeneration
    Lost
    The Guild
    Weird Science was on there for a bit
    The Office
    Titan AE
    FLCL
    Death Note
    Host Club
    Ghost hound and other animes
  • hesgro2
    hesgro2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Sherlock.

If you haven't seen it, get it. Get it NOW!

Written by Steven Moffat. The man who made Doctor Who a household name. Er, title?

(is anyone else offended by how trendy The Doctor has become?)

The second season comes out in May. Again, with the sadly short seasons. The fellow who plays Sherlock has signed on for the next JJ Abrams Star Trek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kewHgXwgemk

I love Sherlock as well. 3 episodes was nowhere near enough! And thanks for the reminder, I forgot the next set was coming out soon.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Ok, a few that I don't see mentioned here:

Battlestar Galactica (Both the new and the old are up there, but the new one is much better!)
    Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (at least the first 2/3, in any case)
    Warehouse 13
    VanDread
    Carl Sagan's The Cosmos
  • Operation_Me
    Operation_Me Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Eureka
    Better Off Ted
    Sliders
    Hackers
    The League
    Dinner for Five
  • maxmariesfo
    maxmariesfo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The Guild

Supernatural = If you try getting into now on TV stop. Start from the begining and watch the first 5 seasons. Love the show but still think it could have ended nice right there.

Twin Peaks

Dr. Who.= I still can't get into the new ones for some reason. Loved the old ones, all the way back to the first DR.

The last Lovecraft: Relic of Cthulhu
    The Call of Cthulhu

and all the obvious ones that everyone knows about and are trying to find time to watch.

Supernatural - ugh! I so agree. It was my favorite for so long. Now I can barely stand it.

Another Lovecraft fan! I'm so there!

I boycotted the reboot of Doctor Who. Then I moved to Vegas. My roomie and dear friend called herself a sci-fi junkie but had never even HEARD of Doctor Who. Turned out the pilot ep of the reboot was on BBC America, so I made her watch it. I am still kicking myself for the boycott! She was crazy excited to see how Captain Jack came to be. She is a HUGE Torchwood fan but had never known it was a spin-off.

PS: It took me quite some time to adjust to the current Doctor. But now I adore him. He may even be my favorite.

The soundtrack is fantabulous for riding Red Rock Canyon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I80pc9jZ_t8
  • Froggeh
    Froggeh Posts: 148
    Options
    The Gamers: Dorkness Rising

Not the best movie cinematography wise, but absolutely hysterical if you're a gamer of any kind.

OMG my sister and I quote that movie obsessively ... We also make people watch it lol

"He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent!"
  • jazzgnat
    jazzgnat Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I haven't had netflix for like a year now but I was surprised no one mentioned Stargate. I watched like 4-5 episodes a day of Atlantis until I had seen them all. Lots of good picks here though, it makes me want to get Netflix again.
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    Had anyone seen and liked Repo! The Genetic Opera? Its not geeky per se, but it's dystopian and weird, and I loved it!
  • hesgro2
    hesgro2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I haven't had netflix for like a year now but I was surprised no one mentioned Stargate. I watched like 4-5 episodes a day of Atlantis until I had seen them all. Lots of good picks here though, it makes me want to get Netflix again.

I am totally kicking myself not not mentioning Stargate! Loved the movie, and SG-1 was fantastic. Atlantis was okay, but I think I was too in love with the characters from SG-1 to really connect. Did you watch Stargate Universe? Wasn't my favorite, but it was pretty good. Robert Carlyle was great in it, as he always is...I'm now enjoying his character of "Mr.Gold" in Once Upon a Time. You should check out Hulu + as well. There are a ton of new TV shows there.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The thing with Atlantis is that you have to make it through the first two seasons before it starts getting really good.

Also, Lovecraft fans are everywhere, you just have to look for us--but be aware you may get more than you bargained for.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty wide range of genres I enjoy....everything from horror to sci-fi to docu-dramas to crime/suspense. I've been watching more movies than tv shows.

Anywho, here's a few that I've watched:

Firefly
    Mystery Science Theater 3000 (the movie AND the show LOL)
    The Perfect Host (great movie!)
    The Way Back
    Jay & Silent Bob
    Suspect Zero
    One flew over the cuckoo's nest
    The girl next door (very disturbing & based on a true story)
    Red State
    Ugly Americans
    King of the Hill
    House I & II
    The Disappeared
    Girl who played w/ Fire (swedish version trilogy)

And many, many more. LOL
  • seattle_chick
    Options
    Totally agree with all the above. Just had to give an extra shout out for SPACED. There's something for every kind of geek in that show. :)