How did you get involved with horses?

Options
Hi all!

Thought it would be nice to find out how you got involved with horse riding and what made you stay with it:)

I started riding in high school but only for a year or so, got back into it when I was about 27 and am now at a brilliant riding school. Horses are like therapy to me, it really helps to center me and just forget about all the problems and issues.

I love dressage though only a beginner, it's a technical artistry that is just addictive!

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,213 Member
    Options
    Hi all -- great idea for a topic.

I rode strictly "seat of the pants" when I was growing up. The neighbours had Morgans and two girls a few years older than me who "taught" me the basics. Didn't know a diagonal from a lead, but I could stay on and have a blast. Later I took some lessons and hopefully developed a bit of refinement (English riding). Then university, living in Europe for a while, work, and quite a few years went by with only occasional rides.

I had an accident when I was about 27 that messed up one hip, and after the healing and physiotherapy, it was suggested I ride horses to help strengthen and straighten out my leg. I love my doctor. I started taking lessons at a pretty fancy barn (Bromont, Quebec, where the 1976 Olympic equestrian events had been held) because it was not too far away from where I lived. They were great -- got me strong, taught me to jump and ride properly, and re-infected me with the "bug". I leased a horse for a year, then rescued a starved Quarter Horse, then bought an Appendix and have not stopped much since. I had a few horseless years after having my daughter, but luckily she took to riding like a duck to water, and we bought a QH when she turned 13, and now also have our Appaloosa. The Appy was given to my daughter after she worked as an exercise rider and baby trainer at a breeding farm in Saskatchewan! He was a yearling, and could not keep away from my daughter, so now he's ours and we are amazed at his potential. Can't wait to see how he goes over the next few years (he's turning 4 this spring).

So, here I am at age 58, always raring to go. I had my 56th birthday during a week-long ride across the Thar desert in India on Marwari horses, and hope to have many more horsey birthdays to come. I might have to move over into Western Pleasure as I age, but that's fine too! For now, it's a bit of everything and I'll keep it that way for as long as I can.

Enjoy your rides! Take them often!
  • disp53
    disp53 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I was 8 years old I would ride my bike a mile down the road to a pasture full of horses and lure them to the fence. I would stick a carrot in the fence, climb the fence, and while they were working on the carrot jump on their backs. Needless to say after my parents found out what I was doing they leased me a pony and the rest is history. I grew up with horses and now my daughter is experiencing the same.
  • tasnim81
    tasnim81 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My aunt had a horse, she was competing in show jumping and dressage on a national level. My grandmother and my mother were often with her in the stable, so I've been around horses since I was a baby.
    At age 6 or 7 my aunt started giving me lessons, not with her horse but one she helped to take care of. She was a wonderful horse (see pic in my ticker) but huge! My legs could barely reach below the saddle, haha. Kind though, and with her I even started jumping before finally joining a group in the riding school were my aunt had her horse.
  • AnnaE
    AnnaE Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Dad rode, Grandad rode... I was on a horse at the age of two.
    All 3 kids in my family had the opportunity, but I was the one with the passion. I rode a series of feral tricky ponies as a kid - Dad bought and sold and I was the mug who got to work them. Then I got a goodie in my 14.2 eventing pony and dug my toes in - he didn't go anywhere!
    My kids are the same - I got their first pony when my oldest was almost two!!