TO ALL CHALLENGE MEMBERS!!! 50LBS OR MORE

Options
jomom2
jomom2 Posts: 429 Member
OK SO WE KNOW AT THIS POINT WE HAVE 4 WEEKS TILL THIS CHALLENGE IS OVER. WE THOUGHT SINCE WE HAVE MEMBERS THAT HAVE LOST 50LBS. OR MORE, TO SHARE THEIR DO'S AND DONTS. TO HELP THE REST OF US THAT ARE STRUGGLING AND NEED ENCOURAGEMENT. TELL US WHAT EXERCISE YOU DO, WHAT YOU EAT, WHAT YOU DO NOT EAT, WHAT HELPS YOU DO NOT GIVE UP, ECT. THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR TAKING SOME TIME AND HELPING US OUT. ALSO, IF YOU HAVE AN Y QUESTIONS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PUT THEM HERE SO THEY CAN ANSWER YOU.

THANKS EVERYONE!

Replies

• jomom2
    jomom2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have a question for the over 50 lbs losers. Do you have a cheat day or cheat meal a week?
  • TiffanyW1014
    TiffanyW1014 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I have a question for the over 50 lbs losers. Do you have a cheat day or cheat meal a week?
    I do allow myself a cheat day. If I really crave something i just give in but in moderation. Now I find myself not really wanting things as much because when I see that scale move (I weigh everyday) it can make or break my day so if it goes up I will really be kicking myself in the butt and work extra hard to get it off. On my cheat days I still TRY to get a workout in but I also dont go crazy just everything in moderation.
  • gbloom182
    gbloom182 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    II started my weight loss about 1.5 years ago just before my daughter was born. I starting going to a nutritionist once a month and slowly started to shed the pounds. The big trick for me was the food intake. I use to be able to eat an entire pizza of have a whole large tray of fried Chinese takeout. I've since learned that I don't have to "diet" with rice cakes and raw carrots all week. Instead it is all about moderation. Instead of eating a whole pizza by myself, I make my own on whole west crust and only have 1-2 slices with a large salad on the side. Instead of a large takeout fried Chinese meal I have a cup of chicken and broccoli with brown rice and steamed dumplings. It's all about tchanging the types of food you eat and how much of its you eat. As for things cut out... Pasta, and a liess red meat / more chicken, and totally cut out fried food. (had some French fies last week... They did not agree with my system anymore... I track and measure my food, which seem to help out a lot. The weeks I forget to track are the weeks that I don't lose. After a while I also started to make my way to the gym. try to get 2-3 cardio workouts in during the week and I do a mile loop on my lunch breaks at work (when I can get away from my desk). All in moderation my friends. I feel much better now a days. Also i only weigh in once a week ( use to be every 2 weeks). I think weighing in dajustus just too stressful. I find that I have Lots more energy now, and more confidence. Good luck everyone!
  • fitmom_pam1976
    fitmom_pam1976 Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I do allow myself a cheat day. If I really crave something i just give in but in moderation. Now I find myself not really wanting things as much because when I see that scale move (I weigh everyday) it can make or break my day so if it goes up I will really be kicking myself in the butt and work extra hard to get it off. On my cheat days I still TRY to get a workout in but I also dont go crazy just everything in moderation.

Did you always have a cheat day?? or did you start after you lost a certain amout of weight? BTW!!! Congrats on your progress so far!!!
  • fitmom_pam1976
    fitmom_pam1976 Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    II started my weight loss about 1.5 years ago just before my daughter was born. I starting going to a nutritionist once a month and slowly started to shed the pounds. The big trick for me was the food intake. I use to be able to eat an entire pizza of have a whole large tray of fried Chinese takeout. I've since learned that I don't have to "diet" with rice cakes and raw carrots all week. Instead it is all about moderation. Instead of eating a whole pizza by myself, I make my own on whole west crust and only have 1-2 slices with a large salad on the side. Instead of a large takeout fried Chinese meal I have a cup of chicken and broccoli with brown rice and steamed dumplings. It's all about tchanging the types of food you eat and how much of its you eat. As for things cut out... Pasta, and a liess red meat / more chicken, and totally cut out fried food. (had some French fies last week... They did not agree with my system anymore... I track and measure my food, which seem to help out a lot. The weeks I forget to track are the weeks that I don't lose. After a while I also started to make my way to the gym. try to get 2-3 cardio workouts in during the week and I do a mile loop on my lunch breaks at work (when I can get away from my desk). All in moderation my friends. I feel much better now a days. Also i only weigh in once a week ( use to be every 2 weeks). I think weighing in dajustus just too stressful. I find that I have Lots more energy now, and more confidence. Good luck everyone!

Thank you so much for sharing and congrats on you weightloss!!! I was wondering about the pasta (since I live in Italy and it is like the HOLY food here LOL).......you completely cut it out? My trainer also told me to cut the regular pasta and reg rice and bread.....but she told me to have whole wheat instead. I have to admit that carbs in general terrify me! But she explained how our bodies need it when we are working out. So I will give it a try! I also make my own pizza....but i never made the whole wheat....will def have to try that on!!!
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I'm close to 50 lbs lost (I'm actually over that - it's more like 75 but I lost 35 before I started on MFP).

Cheat day - yes, I cheat from 9 am on Saturday until 9 pm on Sunday. I don't go crazy, but I also don't watch it like I do during the week. I will eat some of the things I crave during the week. It also makes going out with friends a lot easier. It's a way that I can actually live and enjoy my life without having to tell people that I can't go here or there. I make sure that I do all of that on the weekends.

Exercise - 5-6 days per week for at least 60 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of strength/circuit training. I cross train (currently training for a triathlon). I'm in the pool 2 days a week, I bike/spin 2 days a week, I run 2 days a week. I put my strength training in when I bike and run (I simply don't have the ability to lift before/after swimming - I don't want to drown). In the past, I've also done 2 cardio workouts a day (Mostly during my cheat weekends to make up for the cheating).

Foods I cut out - I try to stick to a simple formula for each meal - 1 serving protein, 1 serving carbs, and 2 servings fruit/veggies. For each snack I will have protein plus one of the other groups. I eat 5 - 6 times a day. As far as cutting stuff out, I don't cut anything out completely (except fried food right now because of lent). I cut down my intake of red meat and pork. I will only eat the "bad" stuff on the weekends. I have found that a lot of the junk makes me sick now. I can only eat limited amounts of pork and fried food before I feel like I want to throw up. I've found substitutes for some of my favorite foods. I do English muffin pizzas (w/turkey pepperoni); or enchillada chicken without the tortilla shell.

Good luck!
  • TiffanyW1014
    Options

Did you always have a cheat day?? or did you start after you lost a certain amout of weight? BTW!!! Congrats on your progress so far!!!

I always allowed myself on but sometimes I don't even get the urge anymore because I have worked so so hard and it just isn't worth it!
  • TiffanyW1014
    Options
    I'm close to 50 lbs lost (I'm actually over that - it's more like 75 but I lost 35 before I started on MFP).

Cheat day - yes, I cheat from 9 am on Saturday until 9 pm on Sunday. I don't go crazy, but I also don't watch it like I do during the week. I will eat some of the things I crave during the week. It also makes going out with friends a lot easier. It's a way that I can actually live and enjoy my life without having to tell people that I can't go here or there. I make sure that I do all of that on the weekends.

Exercise - 5-6 days per week for at least 60 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of strength/circuit training. I cross train (currently training for a triathlon). I'm in the pool 2 days a week, I bike/spin 2 days a week, I run 2 days a week. I put my strength training in when I bike and run (I simply don't have the ability to lift before/after swimming - I don't want to drown). In the past, I've also done 2 cardio workouts a day (Mostly during my cheat weekends to make up for the cheating).

Foods I cut out - I try to stick to a simple formula for each meal - 1 serving protein, 1 serving carbs, and 2 servings fruit/veggies. For each snack I will have protein plus one of the other groups. I eat 5 - 6 times a day. As far as cutting stuff out, I don't cut anything out completely (except fried food right now because of lent). I cut down my intake of red meat and pork. I will only eat the "bad" stuff on the weekends. I have found that a lot of the junk makes me sick now. I can only eat limited amounts of pork and fried food before I feel like I want to throw up. I've found substitutes for some of my favorite foods. I do English muffin pizzas (w/turkey pepperoni); or enchillada chicken without the tortilla shell.

Good luck!

This is a great way to look at things. I may have to re-vamp my plan a tad and see how this works for me!! great job on the loss thus far and keep up the great work!
  • ingot81
    ingot81 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    So far I've eaten what I want, up to 1400 calories, and eaten my exercise calories back when I felt like it. I do a lot of exercise classes (Les Mills Body Attack, Body Combat, Body Step and RPM - 6 a week). I teach Zumba (2 adult and 1 child class a week) and I am training for the Chester half marathon. I've recently found my weightloss has slowed considerably so I feel I need to address my kitchen issues and/or introduce strength straining (I have done some Body Pump but I'm not a fan).
  • psychomomxs4
    psychomomxs4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a cheat day!...I keep telling myself that Saturday or Sunday is my cheap day. I picked those days in case the family wants to go out to dinner or over to friends I can enjoy myself. However, it seam like Fridays are ending up my cheap day because; I'm hitting the gym so hard every day the week that by Friday I'm exhausted. Then when it comes to the week-end I have my energy back and if I don't do something I'm feeling bad.... so I guess it comes down to REMEMBER the main objective…A DAY OF REST even God did that.

4526527.png[/url