when to spend calories?

Options
So... I'm wondering when people spend their calories? I'm struggling with spending them all by lunchtime and then going to bed hungry... any tips?

Replies

• saffronblue
    saffronblue Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    my eating is ok. It's the wine that gets me...
  • mkrbksd
    mkrbksd Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have more trouble in the afternoons. A couple days a week I work out at noon, so I am very careful those days to manage my calories before my workout so I feel as good as possible. That seems to spill over into the days I don't work out.

Snacking after work / before dinner is my problem time. I'm trying to drink tea while I make dinner so I have some flavor in my mouth, but no calories!

I pack a lunch and snacks for work and don't allow myself to go to the cafeteria except for ice water. That also seems to help spread calories throughout the day.
  • erinmgill
    Options
    Thanks mkrbksd, I'm doing better bringing my lunch and forgoing things like coffee drinks and pastries etc. It's a different perspective when you realize you essentially just ate your dinner at 10 in the morning... :)

I think I'll do much better if I can save up calories so that I don't go to bed hungry... <no fun>
  • Justkf
    Justkf Posts: 208 Member
    Options

Ummm, yeah! The wine is really, well, uh, just.....delicious!
  • SlinkyNewMe
    SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
    Options

:bigsmile:
  • SlinkyNewMe
    Options
    So... I'm wondering when people spend their calories? I'm struggling with spending them all by lunchtime and then going to bed hungry... any tips?

I guess that would depend on what you are eating in the beginning of the day. Use your calories wisely - with low calorie but filling things. I have 1250 calorie allowance per day and often don't use up all of those by the end of the day!

A typical breakfast for me would be 30g oatbran with 150 ml (soya) milk - because I don't do cows! You could have some fruit on top of that - I use drained tinned fruit that is tinned in fruit juice (not syrup) on top of that. I have a cup of black coffee with sugar free sweetener to finish off. That's less than 250 calories and very filling.

Mid morning I might have a cup of tea and a Jumbo snack a jack. Or some plain (soya) yoghurt with fruit and you could sprinkle some nuts/hemp seeds or oats on top. Again filling, sweet and low calories. Or you could have a cup-a-soup or something depending on whether you like sweet or savoury. I have a sweet tooth which is why I go for fruit or a low calorie snack-a-jack (a flavoured rice cake).

Lunch - something like stir fry vegetables and tofu (you could have lean chicken), maybe a vegetarian sausage sandwich made with wholemeal bread, or something.

Mid afternoon - similar to breakfast or mid morning

Dinner - Similar to lunch

Generally I have been avoiding things like pasta, couscous, sweet potato, potatoes, bread - anything stodgy. The thing is to change your eating habits. I am a strict vegetarian on a plant based diet - but my weakness is cake, wine and bread and large portions of my usual stuff. I have had to reign that in to lose weight.

There is no point in spending your calories on chips (fries), or a big burger or cake or something which takes up 600-700 cals because you would be hungry afterwards. Leave those things as once a week treats and change your daily eating habits. If there a certain foods that you like to eat for breakfast that are calorie laden could you think of a low fat, low calorie way of making them - ie cut portions size, grill instead of fry, replace sugar for a substitute, use wholemeal bread instread of normal bread, and so on.....

The other important thing is to weigh and measure - you might be surprised when you look at a portion you would normally have compared to what a 30g portion of cereal/rice/pasta looks like. Use the recommended portions on the backs of the packets as a guide and weigh everything! Use the scanner on the mobile phone app if you have a smart phone to scan and log things on the go. And for the first few weeks until you are confident about portion sizes and calories - don't eat anything that you haven't scanned or weighed first!

Hope that helps!.
  • SlinkyNewMe
    Options
    PS: It is NOT a good thing that I don't use up all my calories by the way! It really is advisable to stick to the calorie allowance and not to go too much under it - I am trying to eat more by increasing my portion sizes.
  • irishginger
    irishginger Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There definitely needs to be a balance throughout the day so you don't run into the afternoon and evening hunger abyss.

I try to eat more of my protein earlier in the day. I often start the morning with a greek yogurt and follow that with a mid morning protein shake. The protein helps you keep that full feeling. My physician recommends that I keep my grams of protein and my grams of carbs about equal. Watching that has been both a challenge and a stress but it seems to work.

My lunch is generally a sandwich, using flat bread, and some kind of "healthier" snack. I LOVE freeze dried green beans. YUM! They give you that crunch and salt of a chip with sooo much less fat and calories. Maybe another yogurt or fruit or snack bar in the afternoon and then I still have about half my calories left at the end of the day (I'm on 1200 also).

Then there is the extra added benefit of exercise. You feel great because of the endorphins released during exercise, you look better AND you get more calories to consume. Win win all around.
  • Taymay75
    Taymay75 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I have been pleasantly surprised by how my eating habits are changing. My typical menu looks like this:

Breakfast: Cheerios or Shredded Wheat; 2% milk and 2 Splendas or I'll have an 1/2 of an English muffin with sugar free jelly with a V-8.

Lunch: Ham or turkey on wheat bread with honey mustard and Baby Garden blend salad with cucumbers with 20 sprays of Italian salad spritz.

Dinner: Protein such as baked fish, chicken or ground beef and vegetables. Sometimes I may add a carb with it.

I also have a couple of snacks and some fruit. This is all within 1200 calories (sometimes under).
  • sarahthecamper
    sarahthecamper Posts: 45 Member
    Options

I'm with you there! But really...100 cals a day (not that I actually only have one glass) is only 1 lb a month. We can work that off no problem (once we get where we're going).
  • saffronblue
    Options

I'm with you there! But really...100 cals a day (not that I actually only have one glass) is only 1 lb a month. We can work that off no problem (once we get where we're going).

That is t
  • saffronblue
    Options
    whoops! That is true! But I got to get there!!! I have given up wine for now. Which is really hard, because it is my job!!! I am on a mission. I am going to make this work!
  • MrsAngelique
    MrsAngelique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am in 1200 calorie and eating around the same time everyday controls my sugar and helps me o fell satisfied.

7:30 am 2 glasses of water
    8:00 am 1 cup of coffee and 1.5 teaspoon of sugar free creamer.
    9:00 ½ teaspoon of olive oil, 4 oz. homemade hash brown, and 2 oz. ham with a glass of water or coffee. 167 Calories
    1 B-12 and 1 super B complex and at least 64 oz of water to drink throughout the day with an added fiber supplement.
    12:00 pm one milkshake made with one cup of 2% milk, one banana and 3 frozen strawberries 274 Calories
    4:00 pm 5 oz. chicken breast steamed, then add 115 g of onion, and 149g green bell pepper, 1 Teaspoon of Olive Oil. Then I add 123g of tomatoes :) 370 Calories
    6:00 1 cup of coffee with 1.5 sugar free coffee mate

I drink water the rest for the night or have a fruit. All this is under 1200 calories a day so you can add some more but I am not usually hungry after this. :happy:
  • Basia_and4345
    Basia_and4345 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Lunch to late afternoon is the most difficult for me. That is when I tend to want to look for the sweet and salty snacks ... heck, whatever I can find in the junk food department I want. I need to learn to make myself grab that apple.
  • campychick
    campychick Posts: 20
    Options
    I've been changing my eating habits to a lot of vegetables, and have transitioned to actually eating breakfast every day. I find that if I eat more protein and vegetables and limit my intake of simple sugars and starches I have a hard time getting in all my calories and that is not good! I also have been really conscious of my hunger level before I eat (not too hungry) and during (not too full) my meals. That's helped me...also, if you are really struggling to stay at your calorie level and need more, all you have to do is exercise more and track all activity because it adds the calories back into your plan. The idea is to use up your calories and add more if you need more by working for the extra. I've noticed that the data base has a lot of activities that are not your traditional "workouts/exercises" it tracks housework, walking slowly, moving boxes, etc... just search and you may find that you have some extra calories that you don't realize you have.

For me, I believe that when I eat any sugar foods (candy, pastries, etc) I seem to go off on binges, almost like a drug or something, so for me (for now), I've given them up completely... I don't seem to do moderation well this early on in my eating plan. I've found that I really don't crave them as much as each day goes by. I've actually been using Truvia and Agave for any sweetening I need, and I really don't need them that much.

Stick with it... you are doing great, and as long as you eat all your calories, the weight will come off!!! :flowerforyou: