Is Black Coffee bad for us?

Options
Hi Everyone! :flowerforyou:
A stupid question which keeps on puzzling me...
Is black coffee (with no sugar) bad for health?
Once a nutritionist told me that if I take black coffee empty stomach in morning before workout it really helps in fat loss, is there anyone else who believe so? :noway:
on the other hand I know that caffeine dehydrates your body so we shouldn't drink it more than 1cup or max 2 cups in a day
I am really confused :ohwell:
Can you coffee lovers help me please? :huh:

Replies

• ROCKERFOREVER81
    Options
    Girl I can't live without my morning coffee!!! And after a morning workout it is just proceless!!!
    I think that it depends, if you drink coffee in excess then it is not good, but your 1 cup of morning coffee is won't kill ya :)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    No, black coffee is the healthiest for you. Adding sugar and/or cream is when it becomes less healthy because of the extra calories and fat. There's alot of studies out there that show coffee being good for the body in a number of different ways. However, everything in moderation but coffee has been found not to be bad for you. Experts recommend no more then 1-3 cups of coffee a day, depending on body size and other health factors. Caffeine makes the body urinate more and only in that sense will it dehydrate the body, so it is good to keep up with your 8 glasses of water a day. I usually drink water before/after I drink a cup of coffee.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Actually some studies say that seven to eight cups a day helps prevent diabetes. With 5 or less there is still some preventative benefit but not as much.
    Also believed to prevent certain cancers and it has antioxidants
    Recent study showed that older women who drank coffee have less incidence of depression.
    Studies have also shown that it does not dehydrate you, especially if you drink it on a regular basis
    Not so sure about the fat burning thing though.
    So, enjoy. If you prefer with milk/cream/sugar just count toward your calories.
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys!
    It was all so useful :smile:
    Now I can enjoy my black coffee whenever I want and yes I don't drink coffee more than 2-3 cups in a day!
    so thankyou! :drinker:
  • KumariM
    Options
    Actually some studies say that seven to eight cups a day helps prevent diabetes. With 5 or less there is still some preventative benefit but not as much.
    Also believed to prevent certain cancers and it has antioxidants
    Recent study showed that older women who drank coffee have less incidence of depression.
    Studies have also shown that it does not dehydrate you, especially if you drink it on a regular basis
    Not so sure about the fat burning thing though.
    So, enjoy. If you prefer with milk/cream/sugar just count toward your calories.

It has also been shown that it can decrease the risk of Alzheimer's disease. The fat burning thing is probably related with caffeine, as in green tea.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big black coffee drinker- I prefer a little cream in mine. I drink, on average, 3 large travel mugs a day. According to my coffee maker, that's about 8 - 9 cups. My doctor told me that as long as I'm sleeping well at night and don't have stomach issues, I'm fine.

As to health benefits, I can only tell you this. I have 3 older siblings who are not coffee drinkers. They all have diabetes - I don't and even before losing weight had fine sugar levels. It could be coincidence or it could be the coffee. As the saying goes, hard tellin', not knowin'.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I've tried living without coffee and realized the good outweighs the bad. It makes me feel good and happy. It helps me ****. It gives me a rush of energy when I need it. I also drink a ton of water to counteract any dehydration. I LOVE water as much as I love coffee.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I have heard that black coffee on an empty stomach is bad for you.. I don't know if that is factual or not except from my own personal experience.. I can't drink black coffee at all ..it tears my stomach up :sick: .. I guess if it doesn't cause you any problems then it should be fine.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking mine black for about years. 4-6 cups, half-caf, every day. As long as your sleep patterns aren't affected and your stomach isn't upset, I'd say go for it!
  • odownz
    odownz Posts: 98
    Options
    Gotta have my cup of Joe!