Any borderlines here?

Options
I was just diagnosed with BPD, and I'm kind of nervous about what the rest of my life will be like. I'm not sure that I fit everything, but I definitely believe that I am borderline.

Does anyone else have any experience with being a young borderline?

Replies

• dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I have BPD! I have been living with it for the past 30 years, but only diag'd in 2004 after several misdiagnosis.
  • harrietsmama
    Options
    ME! Kinda sucks, huh? I have done 4 years of DBT and it made a huge difference for me. I am struggling to get moving without someone holding my hand. I wasn't dx'd until I was about 30, but it is obvious looking back at the destruction. I am also bipolar which can be confusing, a lot of the symptoms can overlap, but now that it's been several years I can kind of tease out which is which in most situations. Do you know what DBT is? I got it at community mental health and it has been just life altering for me. You learn all the basic human coping skills that are missing to create borderline personality disorder. I went from an out of control rage-a-holic to being an incredible patient person over time. I still struggle a lot, don't misunderstand, but I can handle sooooooo much more than I could before. {{{hugs}}}}
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Hi Harriet! I did DBT in 05-06. I'm a Destructive - Avoidant Borderline. It was incredibly powerful for me. will chat if you want to.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i'm not borderline, i'm full on bipolar 1, mixed episode w/ suicidal ideation... but i do have some advice for you, try cognitive therapy.. it teaches you how to be mindful of what your doing and how you're feeling. it helps give you tools to deal with the mood fluctuation and just keeps you mindful of what you're doing and how that makes you feel... i did cognitive therapy for three years and that with the right meds, i have a much more even normal mood and disposition.

as far as what your life will be like, its totally up to you.. gather a good support group around you and dont feel bad about letting them know you are have a hard time. being open about whats going on with you will allow people to help.

good luck :)
  • KirstyAC
    Options
    I realise this is a bit out of date, but I wanted to say... I'm 19 and borderline. And can I just say... it sucks. Big time. I think every sickness sucks, but mental illness just takes it to a whole other level somehow. (My opinion, probably totally wrong- I'm feeling sorry for myself at the moment).

DBT is great, definitely get yourself into that.

I find that stability around me helps. Daily routines are great- so you can have an idea of what to expect from the day.

Put a crisis management plan into place with your doctor so you know what to do and where to go when you are feeling unsafe.

Sometimes it helps to just pause, take a deep breath in, and count to ten before you react. You'll learn about it more in DBT, but it definitely helps when you are about to fly off the handle.

Good luck and big hugs!
  • carlypreiss
    Options
    Thank you everyone for replying. It means so much to me <3
  • fastingfairy
    Options
    I have BPD too, if you want to talk :) I'm 20 had it for 2 years. I'm very dependant and clingy, almost to the point of obsessions -.- Take care. xxxxx