Exercise after c section?

Options
jprid88
jprid88 Posts: 17 Member
What are some exercises I could do? Ive been walking on the tredmill but im bored with that. Before I was pregnant I did p90x. I wanna condition my body some before I do something that rigorous

Replies

• dsb76
    dsb76 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How many weeks are you post surgery?

I waited until about 5 weeks to start any exercise other than walking (and got an official okay from my doc). I started back with yoga and the C25K and then added planks at about week 6. I was told to wait a "few" months to do ab work but it really didn't seem very exact (and planks seemed pretty benign). I am 10.5 weeks pp now and I have added some more strength training exercises including some ab work.

I'd love to hear other suggestions specific for post c-section. I'm a little concerned that carrying twins has irrevocably altered my middle.

BTW it is important to check for diastasis postpartum (regardless if you have had a c-section).
  • jprid88
    jprid88 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ill be six weeks on friday and walking is just not doing it. I know to take it easy on the abs. Im scared to do that lol
  • TiffanyaeBrown
    Options
    The biggest thing really is to check with your doctor and listen to your body. I've had 5 c-sections and my body has had no problem saying 'Uh, yeah this is as far as I go. Good luck to ya.' Lol. Anything cardio is good - biking, swimming or any water exercises really. Don't forget you use your abs with weights too, so you have to be careful even there. Yoga and stretches are really great. They helped me to feel better, mentally and emotionally, as well as helping to get my body used to exercising again.

If you are getting bored, try changing your surroundings. Walk at the mall, or go with a friend. Ever walked backwards on the treadmill? That will give you a workout! I hth, :) Tiff
  • Mumbum78
    Mumbum78 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't have all the answers for myself,but I did a lot of physiotherapy /pilates based exercises and significantly reduced my "abdominal gap". Before my other complications, I found that swimming was working great for me!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm five weeks PP and I'm chomping at the bit to get back to lifting heavy. I have done a few things such as body weight squats, bicep curl, push-ups (that was over doing it) and I tried bench presses today (again over doing it). I would love to see some post c-section lifting regiments and when they were started. The only thing I seem to find when searching c-section and exercise is about the "flap" of skin and how to get rid of it.
  • dsb76
    Options
    I'm now 3.5 mo out and pretty much back to my nl exercises. I don't do a lot of lifting and I lost a lot of muscle during my pregnancy but I am working back up. I really like total body moves so any suggestions would be well received. Right now I am working on dumbbell turkish get ups (would like to work up to a kettlebell weight - only using 10lbs now) and renegade rows. I didn't start with weights until around 12 weeks post partum. I am down to my prepreg weight (but not my ideal weight) and i still have a belly and extra skin but I don't think it is really because of the csection but because I was so huge with the twins. I'm giving the skin 2 years to go back to normal :)
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    How many weeks are you post surgery?

I waited until about 5 weeks to start any exercise other than walking (and got an official okay from my doc). I started back with yoga and the C25K and then added planks at about week 6. I was told to wait a "few" months to do ab work but it really didn't seem very exact (and planks seemed pretty benign). I am 10.5 weeks pp now and I have added some more strength training exercises including some ab work.

I'd love to hear other suggestions specific for post c-section. I'm a little concerned that carrying twins has irrevocably altered my middle.

BTW it is important to check for diastasis postpartum (regardless if you have had a c-section).

Did you start your C25K right at 6 weeks? Were you already a runner? How did you feel physically once you started the C25K program?
  • dsb76
    Options
    I was not a runner (i still am not a huge fan) and i started right around 5 or 6 weeks pp. It felt great to get on the treadmill and move. I really felt it worked my abs without straining them just to be up and moving. I just couldn't stand not being active. Now I like running short periods (less than 20m) on the treadmill but I still need to figure out how to transition to asphalt now that it is getting warmer. I love doing intervals but I get bored and then tired if I am just running on the treadmill straight.