Mountain climb in one month

Options
Hi everyone, I'm new to MFP. I've signed up to climb a mountain with some friends in one month. Having the date allows me to get focussed but I would appreciate some advice on how to go about getting ready physically. I usually go to the gym a few days a week but I don't have a regular diet or exercise routine. Help please!

Replies

• samanzi
    samanzi Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That's so exciting! Good for you! Hiking will feel different than anything else you do, so it will be somewhat of a challenge no matter what. BUT starting up a regular cardio and strength training routine will help your endurance and make the mountain easier to take on. I'd suggest anything that increases and keeps up your heart rate. You could jog/walk on a treadmill, and use the incline feature to simulate going uphill. Doing strength work for your legs will also help to prevent stiff/soreness. These are pretty general suggestions, but I've been a hiker for years and have found that while there is nothing else quite like it, being in better shape overall definitely helps. You're going to have a blast!! Make sure you bring something warm to wear at the top :smile:
  • shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Options
    oooo which mountain are u going to climb?

I'm signed up for Mt Kinabalu end-April and am still pretty behind the fitness level required. Haha ~ what I've been doing is little hikes on local trails on weekends that I manage to find company, climbing the stairs home every day instead of taking the lift, and dragging myself to the gym for classes (Pilates & Yoga) more often.

We shld really swap ideas! :bigsmile: