Activity One: Awareness

Options
AWARENESS

We will start with being aware of emotional eating.

The first activity this week comes from a free ebook by a doctor that works on emotional eating (available at skrinkyourself.com). Throughout the week we will journal on the questions he proposes. Next week - after we have more awareness - we will move only playing with solutions and strategies.

Please post answers to the bellow questions to the group (or you can keep them private if you prefer).

Questions
1. How hard is it for you to see emotional eating in your life? Is it very visible? If so, describe the instances you’ve got in mind. Do you think instances like this are the main obstacle to you losing weight? If it’s not so visible, why do you think you have trouble eating less and exercising more?

2. Do you have trouble differentiating between emotional hunger and physical hunger? Describe a time when you may have mistaken emotional hunger for physical hunger. What was happening at the time to make you emotionally hungry? Why didn’t you deal with it directly, instead of using food?

3. Examine your hunger whenever it arises. Try to use the six distinctions (below). Do you feel emotionally hungry more often than physically hungry? Do you always give into the emotional hunger or do you sometimes find another way to satisfy it without food?

Physical vs emotional hunger

First, emotional hunger normally comes on like lightening, while physical hunger develops slowly. Emotional hunger is like a rocket going off: it happens suddenly. Physical hunger develops little by little: first there’s the tummy rumble, then the grumble and then it really starts complaining with hunger pangs. But, the slow stages of physical hunger are very different from the quick onset of emotional hunger.

Second, emotional hunger demands food immediately, whereas physical hunger is a bit more patient. Much like its quick onset, emotional hunger demands immediate satisfaction. On the other hand, even if you are ravenously hungry, your physical hunger will wait for food.

The third difference between the two involves mindfulness. Satisfying physical hunger involves a deliberate choice and awareness of what’s being eaten. How much of what’s being eaten is noticed, meaning you can stop when full. However, emotional hunger on the other hand usually doesn’t notice how, why or what’s being eaten. Emotional hunger will even demand more food even after the person is stuffed.

Fourth, physical hunger is open to different types of foods, but emotional hunger often demands very particular foods in order to be fulfilled. If you’re physically hungry, even carrots will look delicious. If you’re emotionally hungry, however, only cake or ice cream might seem appealing.

Fifth, satisfying emotional hunger often results in guilt, or promises to do better next time. This is in sharp contrast with physical hunger, which is viewed as necessary to survival and therefore has no guilt attached to it.

And sixth, emotional hunger, of course, results from something emotionally upsetting, while physical hunger results from a physical need.

Whenever you feel compelled to eat in a way that doesn’t match the patience or speed of physical hunger you are struggling with emotional eating and hunger.

Replies

• emfilomena
    Options
    1. How hard is it for you to see emotional eating in your life? Is it very visible? If so, describe the instances you’ve got in mind. Do you think instances like this are the main obstacle to you losing weight? If it’s not so visible, why do you think you have trouble eating less and exercising more?

It can be confusing at times to identify actual hunger and emotional eating. It's not a matter of exercise, because I can get the exercise in with more ease than you'd think. I deal with a digestive disorder called gastroparesis and sometimes I'll end up on a starving diet (diet as in what I eat on a daily basis, under 900 calories) a day for long periods of time because my body simply can't handle more. There will be times in between where my body can handle the food and wants to devour everything in sight. Major symptoms of this illness are chronic vomiting and nausea, so when my body is exhausted from vomiting on a daily basis, I feel it's hard to know when I'm truly hungry.

2. Do you have trouble differentiating between emotional hunger and physical hunger? Describe a time when you may have mistaken emotional hunger for physical hunger. What was happening at the time to make you emotionally hungry? Why didn’t you deal with it directly, instead of using food?

Like I said above, yes. Last night, for instance, I thought I might've been hungry. Our neighbor works at a pizza shop and he brought over a giant pizza (he does this a few times a week, I'm able to always resist). For some reason, I took out a slice and swallowed it down within 5 minutes. I NEVER eat pizza and my body can't handle pizza, which was a mystery as to why I ate it in the first place. It ended causing massive pain and vomiting, but I realized later on that I really wasn't THAT hungry. I'm dealing with a lot of stress right now involving my physical health, my mental health, school, trying to get a job.. It's taking a toll on me mentally, and I also deal with anxiety, major depressive disorder, and other mental problems. I can't exactly attack all of these problems at once right now, so I'm trying to find other ways to cope, I suppose.

3. Examine your hunger whenever it arises. Try to use the six distinctions (below). Do you feel emotionally hungry more often than physically hungry? Do you always give into the emotional hunger or do you sometimes find another way to satisfy it without food?

It's likely that I always am more emotionally hungry than hungry. Sometimes I give into emotional hunger, but the consequences of eating have conditioned me to avoid a lot of food in general. People think of it as a blessing that I have such adverse feelings towards food, but it's a mental war with myself constantly. Do I eat this and risk vomiting and pain, or do I suffer through the hunger pains? I hate it. I have always dealt with eating problems, and I've been struggling with an eating disorder for nearly 6 years. It's very mentally straining. For instance, I haven't eaten in 10 1/2 hours at this point, and while my body is yelling at me, telling me it's hungry, I can't give into the hunger pains because I'm experiencing too much anxiety, nausea, and physical pain at the moment.
  • 65jmh
    65jmh Posts: 9
    Options
    This is my first week and this was very helpful. I definitely eat out of emotion more than physical hunger and I am going to try to exercise and pray instead of eat when I feel that way.
  • thenance007
    thenance007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with emotional eating my whole life. Recently I connected my craving for sweets to the fact that my very nurturing grandmother who lived with us always soothed our crying with a piece of candy and a hug. After she passed away, I have always reached for the sweets to sooth myself.

The one question in my mind is when are cravings driven by low blood sugar and when are they emotional? When I eat a low carb diet, I have way less cravings because my blood sugar is stable. Low blood sugar gives me the same symptoms as emotional eating--need it now, and it has to be sweet.

30 years ago I did some sessions of NLP (neurolinquistic programing). After a couple of sessions of finding all the emotional reasons I ate, and in a light hypnotic state asking my mind/body what healthy non-food alternatives could satisfy that need, I began dropping 5 lbs. a month until I reached my ideal weight without dieting or even being aware. What I noticed was that I was eating only when I was truly hungry and stopping as soon as I was satisfied. The weight stayed off for 2 years until my life became an emotional wreck, then it started piling back on 5 lbs. a month. So I know emotional eating is the key for me. If I stopped emotional eating, I would be slim. I practically never experience physical hunger because I eat so often for other reasons.

In December I purchased the book "The Healing Codes" and after working with that technique discovered that I have always had an intense fear of hunger based on being fed according to Dr. Spock as an infant (X amount Y times a day--didn't take into account that I was a big baby and so I was always hungry). I was able to release it doing the codes and I believe that has allowed me to be successful so far releasing 14 lbs. since Jan. 1. I am still eating for other emotional reasons, but for me, that was the dealbreaker in letting go of the excess weight. I have recently been able to experience actual physical hunger as a result.
  • vickieross
    vickieross Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to sweets, it's a gene thing. I'm a emotional eater and have known this most of my 67 years. I'm very rarely hungry and eat by the clock. If my husband is not home for a meal I eat junk. I'm very aware of this but have not found a way to stop.
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Questions

I eat most when I am sad or stressed. When I am sad, there are a few sure things to make me happy and my husband knows them all...Doritos, hot fudge malt are the two biggest and sometimes I try to avoid those. But when I am stressed, it seems like I don't even notice the quantity of food I am consuming and the insanity behind it (when I am already depressed about being "obese.")

I very rarely even feel physical hunger, my body is always stuffed with something but since I joined my fitness pal, I actually woke up physically hungry and I think that's a good step. When I feel "emotionally hungry" it is usually in the time of a difficult situation that I feel powerless to change revolving around other's actions. I need to learn to accept the things I cannot change, just like in the Serenity Prayer and give it to God.

The only other thing that helps satisfy emotional hunger is spending time with my husband and/or sleeping. Nothing seems quite as bad after some rest. Unfortunately, I cannot always rest since I have 3 kids and my husband works a lot of overtime.
  • 24ktcelebrity
    Options
    Well I know I eat out of emotions, bordem, stress, and happy. I certainlly can use help on how to control it.
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've never heard Dr Spock's theory about that but I sure am glad I'm not the only one to admit that I was filling myself up so often that I rarely experienced true hunger pangs! :smile:
  • imsmellie
    imsmellie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'll give this a go every weekend.... one activity a week, one day at a time. Thanks for setting this up.

Emotional eating is blatantly obvious in my life. I know I eat when I am bored (another word for lonely), anxious (about exams, studying, meeting with people I haven't seen in a while), lazy (another word for hopeless) and sleepy. Before a binge, I find that I tell myself to just give in and give up, one binge wont make a difference... it certainly does though. I can't see what triggers the feelings that triggers the eating though. If everybody feels stressed, lonely, anxious, bored, lazy..... then why do I have the urge to eat when others don't do anything about it at all?
    I haven't felt real hunger in a very long time. I can almost satisfy real hunger with a glass of water and a few almonds... I don't know how to deal with emotional hunger besides eating really... my emotions seem so vague.
    Yes more emotional than physical for sure. I can sometimes distract myself for a day or two... but ultimately i can never find a real way to avoid eating more than i should.
  • roojyrooroo
    roojyrooroo Posts: 25 Member
    Options

It’s only clear when I stop and think about it. When I am not conscious of it I eat 3-4 time more than my recommended calorie intake. The main reason I put on weight is because of my emotional eating, which usually happens late at night. It has become a bad habit now. I have this feeling unstable biochemistry inside of myself that I medicate with food. But often it does not solve the feeling so I have to get eating and eating, and before the end of the night I have consumed a very large quantity of food. I wake up the next morning feeling quite low in energy because of all the sugar that effected my sleeping.

The feeling of having a full stomach feels safe to me. It is a sort of numbing. Feeling hungry feels like being emotionally open. I feel vulnerable.

Yes. I am still not sure about how to tell the difference between the two unless the physical hunger is very extreme. I am going to play around with this my letting the feeling get quite extreme before eating, so that I can be better attuned to it.

I would say that most nights I mistake emotional hunger for physical hunger. Now when that happens late at night I will ask the hunger what it is really about. I want to break this habit over the next 6 weeks.

I did this activity today. I started thinking about eating and I asked myself if it was real hunger. I was not sure so I waited. Five min later my stomach made a noise so I ate. The food tasted a lot better for it.

When I see pictures of food I think I am hungry but now I know that that is a salivation response, not hunger. I need to unlearn associating that response with hunger.
  • dnpi
    dnpi Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I normally binge when i'm just annoyed or pissed at myself. I also over-eat when i'm in a very stressed-out environment. i always binge after i fight with someone or when i have to take sides in a fight between close friends or family members. it is very visible. i know i should stop but i never. i feel guilty even before i put the food in my mouth because i know i'm gonna over-eat.

I don't have a lot of trouble differentiating. When i'm emotionally hungry, i'm also sad/depressed/stressed/bored so i reason that food will make me happy/full/calm/ready. i have tried other methods to distract me but even them, food is in the back of my mind and after half-an-hour, i usually end up in the kitchen.

I ALWAYS give into emotional hunger. I am mostly emotionally hungry. Some days, I curb my unhealthy habit but it only lasts for a few days. Then, when something bad happens, I am back to my old ways. But I do know what real hunger feels like. The worst part is that I KNOW and aware so I end up feeling very, very guilty.
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    wow i never realised how bad my emotional eating was - all the above is me!!!

my hunger is an instant hunger - i thought this was because i was blooming fat! but now i know that distraction and hopefully exercise can help get rid of this.

i feel almost guilty all the time after eating as i know i am not truly hungry and then comes the feeling of guilt and bloatedness which makes me feel terrible

time to start recognising the difference
    x
  • jeyko
    jeyko Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Questions

It's very obvious to me. It wasn't at first, but once I started logging in on MFP, I started to be more aware. Stress is a major trigger for me. After a stressful day at work all I want is chocolate. When I'm sad/depressed, I want chocolate. There are times when I can walk it off instead of turning to food but usually I can't. When I'm driving home from work, it's easier to go through the drive thru to get a chocolate donut to dull the "pain".

Again it's usually after work, i'llget a pang in stomach, thinking it's hunger when it's really stress. It's easier to eat than confront a co-worker/boss.

Now that I'm more aware of my emotional eating, I do try to walk it off, I take a different route home so that I don't drive by the tempting drive thru. Then when I get home, my kids are there to take my mind off whatever was troubling me.
  • kissedbytheocean
    kissedbytheocean Posts: 131 Member
    Options

It isn't very difficult at all, and it's definitely very visible. Most often, when in the midst of an emotional eating crisis, I can be seen pacing the kitchen, grabbing handfuls of this and that. You can always tell when I'm upset or uncomfortable. This is probably the biggest obstacle in my weight loss, because it causes me to binge and overeat.

Sometimes I have trouble differentiating. I've been depressed all day, and have been fighting the urge to pig out. It's been difficult today to figure out whether I'm actually hungry or not. I gave in (even though I wasn't hungry) and had a sandwich, handfuls of snacks, etc. I never really learned to deal with my emotions in a healthy way (it's always been destructive), so it's very hard for me to put the food down, because I *know* that, at least temporarily, I'll feel better.

I think I feel emotionally hungry more than physically hungry. I try not to give into the emotional hunger (and a lot of times I'm successful!), but there are times when I just say, "Screw it!", and give in. I guess I struggle to find a good alternative that gives me as much temporary relief as eating.
  • brunsda
    Options
    I have struggled with emotional eating my whole life. Recently I connected my craving for sweets to the fact that my very nurturing grandmother who lived with us always soothed our crying with a piece of candy and a hug. After she passed away, I have always reached for the sweets to sooth myself.

The one question in my mind is when are cravings driven by low blood sugar and when are they emotional? When I eat a low carb diet, I have way less cravings because my blood sugar is stable. Low blood sugar gives me the same symptoms as emotional eating--need it now, and it has to be sweet.

30 years ago I did some sessions of NLP (neurolinquistic programing). After a couple of sessions of finding all the emotional reasons I ate, and in a light hypnotic state asking my mind/body what healthy non-food alternatives could satisfy that need, I began dropping 5 lbs. a month until I reached my ideal weight without dieting or even being aware. What I noticed was that I was eating only when I was truly hungry and stopping as soon as I was satisfied. The weight stayed off for 2 years until my life became an emotional wreck, then it started piling back on 5 lbs. a month. So I know emotional eating is the key for me. If I stopped emotional eating, I would be slim. I practically never experience physical hunger because I eat so often for other reasons.

In December I purchased the book "The Healing Codes" and after working with that technique discovered that I have always had an intense fear of hunger based on being fed according to Dr. Spock as an infant (X amount Y times a day--didn't take into account that I was a big baby and so I was always hungry). I was able to release it doing the codes and I believe that has allowed me to be successful so far releasing 14 lbs. since Jan. 1. I am still eating for other emotional reasons, but for me, that was the dealbreaker in letting go of the excess weight. I have recently been able to experience actual physical hunger as a result.

Thanks for sharing. it always amazes me how much we can change when we learn something new about ourselves. Emotions and eating go together. When we celebrate something, there is usually food involved. Birthdays, anniv., graduation, promotions, etc. Food is also consolation. Think about how many times eating icecream is shown on a show when a relationship breaks up. :brokenheart: :sad:
    I think this challenge will be a chance to learn more about myself and start looking at some of the reasons emotional eating is holding me back.
  • roojyrooroo
    roojyrooroo Posts: 25 Member
    Options

There are two good articles on this here.

http://mensweightlossguide.com.au/could-emotional-eating-be-cause-by-unstable-blood-sugar/
    http://www.healthiertalk.com/surprising-blood-sugar-connection-emotional-eating-3882

Basically one should eat low GI food to help stabilize blood sugar and feel more grounded, as well as snacking often (on low GI food).

So in summary there are four types of hunger
    1. Real physical hunger
    2. Emotional hunger
    3. Low blood sugar hunger
    4. Sensory hunger (brought on by seeing or smelling food)
  • thenance007
    thenance007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Aha! So my instinct about low blood sugar mimicking emotional eating was correct! I realize that when I first started my eating plan the first of January, I was aiming for 40/40/20, so I was eating a lot of beans, oatmeal and other complex low glycemic carbs. That first month I felt totally in control of my eating and rarely had cravings. But over the past month I have been much less careful of my macro ratios, and have been eating more sweets, although my calories are on target. I've also been experiencing much more difficulty with "emotional eating". When I was working with the 40/40/20, I would only allow myself a 1/2 cup serving of ice cream or sweet about 8 pm. Lately I've been spreading sweets throughout the day, probably destabilizing my blood sugar and creating insulin spikes. Guess I need to go back to paying closer attention to my macro ratios and see if it resolves or lessens my cravings. Maybe my problem is biochemical more than emotional. Will continue to track and report in. Thanks, roojyrooroo!
  • bboop17
    Options
    I agree with the emotional vs physical hunger ~ thinking back on my eating habits through the years I definately see the like lightning striking when I was upset or just over an upset I would eat out of a craving mindset instead of a physical hunger need .
  • InHerElement
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this! Really helps.
  • megmcge
    megmcge Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm a little late posting, but I wanted to try this challenge. I'm very interested in learning why I overeat and I've been trying to notice my patterns this past week.

I almost never feel physical hunger, but I'm not sure what comes under the heading of "emotional" hunger.

I found this last week that I eat because:

1. It's time to eat (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
    2. I'm bored
    3. I'm uncomfortable about something and want to put it out of my mind - for instance I am at a stressful point in a project and I am not sure how to move forward.

Obviously not eating because I need to, usually not even eating because I want food.
  • susiefb42
    susiefb42 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Please post answers to the bellow questions to the group (or you can keep them private if you prefer).

Questions
    So I'm really late posting, but just found this group after a bad emotional eating day yesterday.

I can see emotional eating easily, and usually even before I do it. It's an old childhood message that if I "have a cookie, you'll feel better." Except that it is usually chocolate that I'm convinced will be the only thing that will help me feel better, I do think that these emotional eating episodes are one of the primary reasons I gained weight and have kept it on.

I don't do well dealing with negative emotions, and when I'm emotionally eating, I really focus on the food, as a way to block out thinking about or feeling anything else. Usually the feeling has decreased after the eating is over, or maybe I'm just really bad at figuring it out, because I can't always even identify the feeling. I know it was emotional, though because it's always simple carbs and it's always an urgency to have it right away.

I'll work on this question for a few days... I don't really have the experience of trying to resist it or think about it before doing it.

Susie