Food addiction

Options
Do you ever wonder are you the only one that binges for a week then stays on track the next week. What sets a binge off. How can we together deal with this demon?

Replies

• dlock45
    Options
    Yes i have tbe same problem. I am hoping with the help of this site and its members i can get through it.
  • arlenejos
    Options
    I know what you mean....I joined overeaters annonymous many years ago and they are not about weight loss its more about working the 12 steps of alcoholics annonymous. When you think about it, we know it's an addiction and isn't that what alcoholics do.....is join AA and work the steps. In my view of how I am.....I say it is a very mental/emotional thing more than eating right and exercising. I KNOW how to be healthy, what we have to do is find out WHY we are NOT doing so. Man as I type this I'm thinking I should get back to an OA meeting.
  • xMadeInChinax
    xMadeInChinax Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have the worst addiction to three 'deadly' dieter's foods: Chocolate, Peanut Butter, and Cheese. :/ In small amounts they are fine... But when I have them I keep eating and eating until Im well over 2000 calories. :(
  • jennafluff
    Options
    WE ARE NOT ALONE!!!! I'm the same. overall I eat healthy, I work out most days - I do a cardio exercsie everyday unless 'circumstances' work against me!! Yet at some stage I toss it all out the window by consuming to many calories. Sometimes I wonder if I have a little demon in me that doesn't want me lose weight?? I'm currently 174lbs and aiming to get to 150 which I know shouldn't be hard. I have been on the big side all my life and I have tried so many diets, W/W, Aitkens, Harcombe, as well some pretty wierd fad diets over the years and have only ever once been at a weight I was comfortable at, only to get pregnant and throw it all out the window again!!
    I love food and anything to do with food. I love to cook, I love to fed my family and friends, I think about food ALOT. So am I an addict?
  • knight76306
    knight76306 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I know I'm not alone, but people don't ever talk about having a food addiction and unless you do, you don't understand it. I once tried to explain it tot my ex. He just didn't get it. It will always be a part of my life. I've lost over 100 lbs. Gained some back and seem to be stuck now. I know how to lose weight, it's just doing it. I know that my addiction to food has to do with the emotional part of brain - it's all very scientific - but...... still doesn't help much when you are trying to lose weight.
  • jorge2657
    Options
    WOW!! I started this group last night and woke up to 25 members. How amazing is that. Being a food addict ,sense the age of about 10 years old as been a long road. I wake up every morning with great intentions. I lost 48 lbs in 2011 and I'm struggling to keep that off. I need to lose a great deal more. I binge eat at any given moment. I'm learning to stop and take the time to ask myself at that moment, WHY are you heading for the kitchen. It has gotten some what easier. Can a addict be cured? I know this will be a life long struggle. I wanna live and not just exist. I'm so happy to have all of you along side of me.
  • RealTanyah
    RealTanyah Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love food. I look forward to it. I daydream about it. It makes me happy. There are so many flavors and varieties. I know what is good for me and bad for me. I can do GREAT but only for so long and then.... I get a craving, some times multiple. It gets overwhelming sometimes.

On the other side I could just be hungry... so I will eat something(like cereal) but then eat something else (like chips)and then keep going even after being full(piece of cheese, creamsicle, etc).

If I could stop myself from the binge eating and control my cravins I know I can lose the weight!
  • hansoel
    hansoel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also certainly know how to eat right...but find myself constantly undercutting myself and actually sabotaging any weight loss effort. I wonder at times what my weight is protecting me from (have some ideas but???) --- I am no longer young or looking for a partner/spouse etc. Have had my children and grandchildren and am not having to deal with the work force any more. So there should no longer be any need for self-protection. But I still find myself over-eating, eating the junk foods, sugars etc etc. So, now, hopefully with this "pal" and this group I will be able to finally start the downward journey towards a healthy body. I have been overweight most of my life (interesting the two times I lost all my excess I ended up married LOL). I look forward to learning more about all of you and about me.... it is high time I think.
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those emotional eaters, I get upset I grab a snack,I watch TV I need a snack lol I get bored I grab a snack, and it's always the not so healthy stuff : chips,dip, chocolate, dougnuts and now, my husband even says I smile and laugh when I know I'm getting chocolate lol I never noticed it but that's when I really thought I have a serious problem here. I am so intent on losing this weight this time but the cravings are so hard too,anyone have any tips please share I'm willing to try anything?
  • jennafluff
    Options
    I read in a raising children book ( the only one I've ever read!!) that you mustn't reward childrens accomplishments with food. For example, Johnny is getting toilet trained so each time he uses the toilet he gets a jelly-baby - apparently this puts the emotional food thing in a childs mind. Do a good job - reward youself with a nice snack, hurt yourself/your emotions make it better with something nice to eat. I've been thinking about my child hood - one of my earliest memories is sitting in a supermarket trolley and my Mum buying me a candy cane for being well behaved in the supermarket - I must have been about 3 1/2.
  • EDGE876
    Options
    Im the same way. My weakness is chocalate anything and peanuts or trail mix when i buy them i eat the whole container just because and then feel horrible afterwords. Now i have put on an extra 15 pounds just from hat that im dieing to get rid of before summer rolls around.
  • dlock45
    Options
    Like the rest of you i know what needs to be done. But it is so darn hard when the rest of my family is thin. Has anyone really lost weight by watching calories??
  • jennafluff
    Options
    Like the rest of you i know what needs to be done. But it is so darn hard when the rest of my family is thin. Has anyone really lost weight by watching calories??
    Yes, the first time I 'dieted' when i was 16, I counted calories. I lost about 10 kg - approx 22lb. Put it back on slowly and then for the last 12 years (I'm 32) have struggled with my weight. I've tried so many fad diets that I've lost count but the only times that I really lost any significant amount has been counting calories or when I was with Weight Watchers for a year or so and you count points which is really just a complicated way of calorie counting!!! Have been on MFP for coming up 3 weeks and altho the weight lose is a little slow, I think this one is a goer - if only I can get my binge moments under control.
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I really struggle with the food when I see my husband (who can eat almost anything and never gain weight) sitting down with a bag of chips or just grabbing something and not having to worry about calories or weight,he's supportive to the point where he encourages me but will not watch what he's eating,so it's very tempting to want to snack,I started eating corn chips and salsa that usually get's rid of my snacking and also tried the Smart One's meals from weight watchers and they are REALLY good,has anyone tried any of the desserts yet? They look really good but I'm kind of worried about the taste!
  • jorge2657
    jorge2657 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi "m a food addict. I been yo yo dieting for 38 years of my life. Its a battle everyday. I know how to eat healthy as many of you say. I go weeks in control and binges for days at a time. Consumimg maybe 5,00 or more calories in a day. I'm guessing at that. It maybe more. Once I start its hard to stop. I end of being ashame and miserable from the food. Only to wake up and try to renew myself once again to eating healthy. I eat when bored, depressed, hurt, angery and many more emotions. Some ppl would call me weak and lazy with no will power. I did not choose this disease. I was a 10 year old lil girlf ighting to surive in a cruel and twisted world. I took comfort in food and became a 300 pound adult.