Help with healthy low calories shopping list

Options
Hey guys, I am relatively new to MFP and struggling some days to keep my calories down.

Any suggestions on healthier shopping items for next weeks shop?

I already have Hartleys jelly pots
Blue dragon stir fry sachets
2 finger kit kats as well as the usual bucket loads of fish, chicken fruit and veg and
Budweiser 66 (for my weekend beer treat, instead of my usual higher calorie beer) as some ideas.

Replies

• sixfootaliw
    Options
    Hi there!

I've found that home made soup is a super way to fill up at lunch and it's cheap and healthy. If you don't have time to make soup, try buying a supermarket own brand and look for lentils. I love the Asda spicy tomato version. Very filling and lunch is around 200 cals.

I also do a lot of stir fry dishes but I avoid packet sauces. Invest in some fish sauce, ginger, chills etc and it is dead easy to make something full of flavour for very few cals! Cheaper than packets too!

Ali
  • trinaballerina75
    trinaballerina75 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes, the home made stir fry sauces and soups sound great. I will dig out some recipe ideas :)

Just read your profile note and it struck a chord with me, as I stopped smoking last Easter following a health scare and then the end of a 15 year relationship with my boys Dad, plus starting studying which meant I was sat at my laptop and not exercising which lead to me eating and drinking without a thought to the consequences.

I put 2 stone over the last 10month period but I'm hoping I have started getting on top of things before it got even more out of control.

Right...soup recipes, thanks! :)
  • simples88
    Options
    Stirrers and soups are great - buy the packet low sugar jellys as they are much cheaper than buying made ones, I put them into small tuperwares in fridge. If you like sweet stuff then the carte dor light vanilla ice-cream is only 70cals for two scoops, try it with pre made meringue and strawberries for a strawberry fool type desert. I also like the low cal light squishy cream in too for fruit, think it's approx 24cals for a reasonable amount.
    Ryvita crisp breads are only 19cals each as well- they go with soups etc and I tend to eat my scrambled eggs on them too so I don't rely on bread to much.
    Most importantly meal plan and shop only off your list, Personally i think this saves me money as well as calories!
  • simples88
    Options
    I meant stirfrys...bloody spellcheck on the iPad!
  • trinaballerina75
    Options
    Hello to a fellow Northerner!!

The crispbreads and icecream sound great, I will track them down.

Yes I am getting into the habit of doing my Tesco shop online and starting early so I have plenty of time to plan meals for the next week and then top up on fruit and veggies and Aldi as I go.

I like the odd sweet treat, its more my beer that I am missing at the mo, as I drunk lots after quitting smoking, but obviously that needs to go!

Thanks ladies and Ali the Covent garden soups are on offer at the mo, so I will stock up on them for lunch next week, but will try making my own when I get some free time.
  • Anna_43
    Anna_43 Posts: 117
    Options
    It is actually Rivita crackerbread not crispbread that has 19 cal per slice - I am addicted to this stuff LOL, it si this one:

BRE006.JPG

Those little things, the 0% fat version have only 28 cal each:

Actimel-0-Nature-100-G-X-6-Nature_scaleheightdownonly_470.jpg
  • trinaballerina75
    Options
    I will try out the crispbreads and crackerbreads, I have ordered some cottage cheese to go with them. So that's one healthy lunch idea sorted.

• JaneUK
    JaneUK Posts: 102
    Options
    Ryvita is great. I also have scrambled egg with mine for a quick lunch. Also tuna, sweetcorn and kidney beans make a filling lunch and very low cal - I dress this with dijon mustard, lemon juice, chilli, pepper and maybe some spring onions.

Really easy soup - onions, gently fry in a little oil, tinned tomatoes x2, tin of chick peas and some extra stock; simmer for a while; add basil or mixed herbs, lemon juice etc - blitz. Serve with ryvita! The covent garden ones are not at all bad, calorie wise, and handy to have in the fridge.

Porridge with 1%fat milk and a little bit of something sweet to serve. Good for breakfast or a snack.

Tomatoes - tinned, or fresh and grilled - are good. Carrots! Eat carrots - grated with salad, sticks for snacks or steamed for a main meal.

Chicken breast with a big mixed salad!

I make a bacon, mushroom and tomato sauce to go with pasta - only a little bacon and I like it smoked for a good flavour. Measure your pasta carefully!

Vegetable tagine. Go easy on any accompanying carbs.

Fresh lemons and fresh herbs make everything taste like a treat!
  • trinaballerina75
    Options
    Oooh, loads of tasty ideas there thank you muchly!! :)
  • Louise1583
    Louise1583 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My staples have become...

Dorset Berries & Cherries museli with a bit of milk to soften the oats, low fat yogurt, and a chopped banana. Staple breakfast!

Fruit - apples, bananas, grapes - anything that don't require tons of faffing with that I can take to work.

Veg - carrots, peppers and cucumber - perfect for chopping into sticks to nom on with low fat hummus.

Wholemeal pitta bread - I stopped eating bread for ages but I like it at lunch with the above hummus!

Protein - turkey mince, pre-cooked chicken chunks for salads, turkey breasts for marinading and stir-frying.

That's pretty much my diet at the moment, which means I can enjoy red wine at the end of a day (very important!).
  • dlee1234
    dlee1234 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    baxters healthy range soups are fab for work healthy veg and lental is nice and under 200cals a tin filling too! weight watchers pitta bread is good and low low cheese ooh and branston pickle any pickles really i also add chilli flakes to all my salads with bit of low mayo.....and weight watchers sausages are 60 cals each lovely hot or cold....i get frozen ready cooked chicken strips leave in the fridge to defrost over night 2 quid a bag cant go wrong for stir frys and salads:flowerforyou: !! sorry i dont half go on making meself peckish now lol!
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    For sweet treats I like making sugar free jelly with diet lemonade and putting fruit such as raspberries in there while it sets. Also, an options hot choc or a mullerlight when I don't fancy jelly.

Make your own stir fries using veg, dried noodles and simply using garlic, ginger, soy sauce etc to add flavour.

Soups, make your own using veg, stock cubes and water. I usually blend my soups to smooth so there's no need for flour or anything to thicken it up.

Spicy foods are meant to raise the metabolism too :)
  • simples88
    simples88 Posts: 51
    Options
    I forgot...the last post on stirfrys reminded me. I always use honey for my stirfrys instead of a sauce - it's really nice, I use it for marinades too, especially if I'm doing a Chinese night. It sticks and coats your meat really well...mmm pork chops or even new potatoes grilled with a little honey and wholegrain mustard. Plus it's the cheap stuff I always use...as I don't like honey unless it's cooked/hidden :-)
  • trinaballerina75
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the fab idea's. I have already had a very healthy looking Tesco shop delivered this evening, but I will come back and have a look at the other suggestions for next week.

But I have honey, mustard,options hot choc,wholemeal pittas and pickles so can try a few combo's including these foods out this week.

I will defo put the Dorset Berries & Cherries museli on my list for next week, sounds lovely as well as being healthy.

Thanks again ladies, have a great weekend :)