Help with going to the Toilet

Options
ok very Taboo subject ive always struggled with going to the toilet maybe 1 or 2 days a week ive not been now since friday and im feeling very sluggish today who can recommend anything thats going to cost me in calories i drink over 2 litres of water a day i dont eat fruit or veg every day but im starting to add more into my diet any help would help

again apologies for lowering the tone but if i cant ask friends then who can you ask

Replies

• mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    from the juice section in the supermarket:

Sunsweet_Prune_Juice_1_Litre1.jpg
  • rachealb1972
    Options
    thanks will try and find it
  • MJTJ
    MJTJ Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You could always do what I did recently and overdo it on sugar free sweets. These things tend to use alternatives to sugar that can have a slight laxitive effect. except I really over did it to even greater effect ;)
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Try eating bran flakes at breakfast. x
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    My old housemate had really bad pooping problems, he didn't eat much veg at all

He started to take Fybogel

He became really regular!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The answer is in your own question, eat veg every meal, let alone everyday.

Prune juice, sugar free sweets, fybogel... would just be short term solutions, exactly the same as if you just took some laxatives.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    fybogel is great stuff
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more fruit and veg, for the fibre more than anything else to help...everything else is masking a pretty bad problem with your diet and is a poor "fix" and fybogel and other laxatives shouldn;t be used long term. Please do as you say and eat more fruit and veg. We're all grown ups here and should eat to live.
  • Darklight464
    Darklight464 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey whilst I will echo everyone else about the fruit and veg, I also want to say "well done" for being brave enough to set up this topic. I am sure there are a few people who have suffered in silence on this subject!
  • Jazzmagic
    Jazzmagic Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Try dried apricots too : ) x
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Went to a doctor with this exact issue. She told me directly and bluntly.. MORE VEG AND FIBRE...

So she suggested to me that to get me regular right now, literally down an entire 1 or 2 litres of FRESH orange juice (not from concerntrate) and eat a massive load of bran flakes before you sleep, enjoy the next 24 hours of having the opposite problem! This will clear you out though and get you going then you need to eat more veg and bran flakes and things. You'll see what they all mean above! :P
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    The British Dietetic Association recommends:

Dietary fibre may help with constipation but tends to generate gas, stimulate contractions and make pain, bloating, flatulence and diarrhoea worse. NICE clinical guideline 61 advises that fibre intake should be adjusted according to its effect and reduced if necessary. If you do increase your fibre intake, do so gradually, because any sudden increase may make symptoms worse.

For symptoms of constipation only, you could try wholegrains, along with fruit and vegetables, introducing no more than 1 extra portion over a 2 day period.

Oats and golden linseeds are good sources of soluble fibre, which help to soften the stool and make it easier to pass; they may also help with symptoms of wind and bloating.

Ensure a good fluid intake – at least 8 cups of non-caffeinated fluid a day

Hope that helps :)
  • AR73
    AR73 Posts: 107
    Options
    Not exactly low cal, but corn tortilla, either sod or the dipping variety have tons of fiver. The dipping one also have lots of Salt so be careful. Also don't stress about it, I think it has happened to everyone at one time or another.
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You can also buy psyllium husk capsules for added fibre, but you have to make sure you are drinking enough water.

To keep more "regular" you really should be upping your fruit n veg quota, exercising, and you could also try having something like weetabix for breakfast.

One thing that does tend to make you "go" though is coconut milk... :laugh:

This page has some other ideas but they've pretty much all been covered by other posters
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-some-natural-laxatives.htm
  • GenFo
    GenFo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Make sure you drink lots of water, especially if you increase the fiber. Water helps everything move. Sluggishness can be a result of dehydration.

Lots of good suggestions here.