100 mile charity bike ride - middle of may - training advice

Options
cloggsy71
cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
Ok, I've signed up for a 100 mile ride for charity mid-May '12

Is there any specific training anyone would recommend, or is it just a case of increasing my mileage up to the event?

Thanks in advance :wink:

Replies

• jrrflr
    jrrflr Posts: 109
    Options
    You should be able to ride 70 comfortably by that date.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Depending how much time you have, either lots and lots of miles, lots of miles mixed with interval training, or find a body double :)

Try to take at least one long ride a week and get comfortable on the bike, increase every week. Don't push yourself too hard the last 2 weeks or so before the big ride so your body will be ready to go.
  • DrIanKellar
    DrIanKellar Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just get out on your bike more. I did my first 125 mile ride having never ridden more than 40 miles. I used my commuting bike because I knew it was comfy. It was a doddle.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Just get out on your bike more. I did my first 125 mile ride having never ridden more than 40 miles. I used my commuting bike because I knew it was comfy. It was a doddle.

That's good to know...
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,685 Member
    Options
    There's a really good looking "build to a sportif" training plan article running in Cycling plus at the moment. I think that it's a 12 week build up plan based on your existing levels - one for beginners, another intermediate, and a third for experts looking to get a PB in something silly and alpine. I was just reading the second article in the April 2012 magazine this morning, and it seems quite comprehensive... apparently the first section was in a insert with the march magazine, which I can't actually remember reading, but I'll have a look out for it for you, and if I can find It i'll forward it to you... It's not as if I can actually get away from home to ride something of this duration anyway - tied as I am to the house :(
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Good on you!

From what I have read you should be comfortable doing at least half the distance you want to complete.

I have a 100 miler at the begining of May (my first one too!), I aim to do a couple of shorter 60/70 mile events before then and keep up with my 40 mile (once a week) solo rides as training. I have heard that you should taper off in the couple of weeks preceeding the event so you don't tire yourself out too much before hand.

Good luck and happy riding!

PS Come back and let us know how it went!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,685 Member
    Options
    To be honest, riding longer distances is as much "in the head" as "in the legs" - if your bike fits properly, and you can ride 40-50 miles at a sensible tempo, then a century isn't going to trouble you - always assuming that it's not over half a dozen alpine cols of course... Providing it's not a "timed ride", just keep grinding away and you'll get there, barring any mechanical failure.