Interesting article-what do you think?

http://www.naturallysavvy.com/health-wellness/why-calorie-restriction-doesnt-work

Personally I think this is quite right. That is why I like this site because reduction in calories need to be paired with increase in physical activity. Also watching fat intake, hydrate, and more.

Also I like this part: "According to these charts, athletes and very muscular people are considered overweight (since muscle is heavier than fat is), but that does not mean they are over-fat." I sometimes get discouraged because scale does not match my size or the clothes I am able to wear. But I know I gain muscle quickly and that is just how it is. When talking to my kickboxing teacher who is also a trainer she said try to focus more on inches and not so much on the scale. She had just commented to me that I lost a lot of weight and a few other people too. I have lost weight but inches is what I have lost more of. I feel like I should say that but sometimes people don't understand. I should point them to this article.

Replies

• Kelgirl36
    Kelgirl36 Posts: 14
    I think this is interesting too. I had read a similar article a few weeks ago. I had been trying not to eat my exercise calories, but I changed my mind after reading something similar to this:

"Metabolism represents the amount of energy, in other words, calories, that your body uses to maintain itself. Your body uses food energy for movement and concentration, but also for internal, physiological functioning. The minimum energy (calorie) intake required for these processes represents your basal metabolic rate (BMR). Significant decreases in caloric intake can have a negative effect on your metabolic rate. Eating below your BMR - meaning, eating too few calories – might result in some immediate weight loss, but the long-term consequence will be weight gain and fat storage."

I try to eat at least half of my exercise calories now, because I want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for failure by not eating enough. I think one of my biggest struggles will be finding exercise that I really enjoy and can fit into my life as a mom of two little kids. It will be a lot easier for me to keep myself going if I enjoy the exercise.
  • BklynMamacita
    BklynMamacita Posts: 77 Member
    Yes and that is why some people gain the weight back because it is hard to sustain just lowering calories over time. I like how it talks about losing fat is important and not just pounds. Both are important but for long term loss, fat loss is key. That can explain why some people yo-yo diet because the fat storage is not gone.
  • McCoolMama
    McCoolMama Posts: 33 Member
    I totally agree. On my big workout days where I burn 600+ calories, I do try to eat more... specifically protein & not just random crap. I also feel like I should have lost more than 16 lbs since I think I look like I've lost more. The exercise definitely helped to shape my body. I did WW in 2007 and lost 30 lbs but my body didn't change nearly as much as it has now, with my only 16 lbs loss since I was only changing my eating habits & not exercising.
    Also, dh is only 5'9" and weighs 210 lbs. Just by numbers, he's obese. However he has huge amounts of muscle so he's really not. I hate those stupid charts & their weight "guidelines."