Stopping breastfeeding and drinking water

Options
So I am trying to get my milk to dry up because I am going to be starting some medication that is not safe for breastfeeding and I am not sure what to do about drinking water. I'm used to drinking so much to help with milk production and I know drinking a lot of water helps with weight loss but how to I do this while getting my milk to stop coming in?

Replies

• JayTee146
    JayTee146 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    wish I could offer advice. I didn't want to R&R

why do you want your supply to competely dry up? you don't want to bf after you finish taking your medication?
  • hotRN17
    Options
    Getting back on my antidepressants due to postpartum depression so won't be stopping them anytime soon
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I don't think the amount of water you drink will have an effect on drying up your milk. When I weaned my first child I started dropping feeds then eventually was only feeding her every second morning then third etc. I guess if you need to start taking the medication immediately you could pump and dump and gradually decrease the amount. Stopping cold turkey might give you mastitis which is pretty nasty. In all honesty I took absolutely no notice of how much water I drank while stopping feeding! I don't think it will be an issue - you'll just pee out the excess!
  • Regmama
    Regmama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Why not pump and dump and slowly wean your breasts offof producing? It's less painful that way too.