Protein Powder for Women

Options
Good Evening All,

I hope this finds you well. Question for you - as I've only seen the American take on this.

I am a 26 year old female, 5'3 and currently 152lbs (10 stone 12lbs) and looking to slim down to around 135lbs (9 stone 9lbs) so I have another 17lbs to lose.

I have joined a gym and I am going 5 times a week as well as controlling my diet. My problem at the moment lies in recovery and gym aches. I struggle with this and sometimes I am desperate to work out, my brain wants to, I have the energy but my body is too sore.

I was recommended to try protein powder as my diet isn't currently containing enough protein and was told this would help to make me feel better post workout. As well as drinking more water, which I have 'upped'.

I am a total newbie to this idea and know nothing about it. Is that good advice? And if so, what brand is best? What does protein powder do?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Laura.

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    It helps you add protein to your diet, without adding too many calories. It's particularly important for maintaining muscle mass when you're losing weight, aids muscle repair, and helps you to feel fuller for longer.

I use the holland and barrett soya protein one. It doesn't taste very nice. I mix it with a nice tasting citrus juice rather than milk, and that makes it more palatable. It seems to have a lower calorie impact than most of the whey powders I've looked at, and delivers a good protein burst. Big advantage for me is that it's also really quite cheap. (10.99 when it's full price, but H&B often have deals on it)
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    It helps you add protein to your diet, without adding too many calories. It's particularly important for maintaining muscle mass when you're losing weight, aids muscle repair, and helps you to feel fuller for longer.

This is why I started using protein powder - that and needing something to give me an energy boost before TKD classes. I get mine from Myprotein.com, simply because their True Whey stuff comes in sample sizes so you can try the flavours before you commit to buying a huge jar! Have to say the Vanilla flavour I've got is pretty yummy - tastes like melted Walls Vanilla ice-cream!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Your Protein intake seems to be around the 50g per day mark, if you wanted to up it Protein shakes would be one option.

But looking closely at some of the foods you log I think the nutritional info is incorrect

On Thursday and Tuesday the "Subway - Chicken Pizziola on Wheat, 6 Inch" you had is logged with zero Protein. It must have had some. (ion fact you logged it on Monday as: "Subway - 6" Chicken Pizziola - Wheat W/Gr Peppers, Onions, Spinach, 1 SANDWICH" and that entry has it down as 30g of Protein.

Also Wednesday's "Morrisons - Omelettes, Beans, Tomato & Mushroom, 1 Plate" is recorded with zero protein.

so, you could double your recorded Protein without lifting a finger.

on that basis I'd say that you could look at adding in a little more natural dietary protein for a week or so before plunging into the world of supplements? Not that there is anything wrong with them (I use them myself when I'm lazy or cant hit my goals otherwise) but it's much nicer to eat stuff than knock back a powdery shake.

Best wishes.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    What sort of workouts are you doing at the gym?

If you are doing resitance training (weights) then apsolutely use a protein powder post workout.

A good rule is that you should be consuming 1g of Protein per pound of bodyweight.

You should get most from food but supplement with a shake post workout or if you are low on rest days.

I would highly recommend MyProtein.co.uk, they have high quality products at great prices when compared to those offered in supermarkets, have been using their products for a while now and always happy.

Use this code and you will get 5% off your first order too: MP354864

Though adequate rest and sleep is also important if you are working out hard.

Look into foam rolling also if you muscles are aching and tight.
  • rdpixie
    Options
    I take a protein shake after my workouts and it helps me reduce my body fat without losing too much muscle and keep me feeling full too!

I use My Protein Impact Whey Isolate comes in loadsa flavours and is great value (myprotein.co.uk)
  • Darklight464
    Darklight464 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I use and always have done, either Maximuscle promax and promax diet or maxitone sculptress and definity shakes. Both the same company but maxitone is aimed at women. However, it is the same stuff and I bounce between both sites getting the best deals on. It is a very good quality protein and the flavours are really good. I use the plain promax in my porridge and the shakes whenever I need a protein boost. You definately need it if you are working out!
  • nixnax
    nixnax Posts: 42
    Options
    Hiya,

After my work outs I have a Maxitone sculptress protein shake. It's not the cheapest, but my aches have been massively eased by it.

I've just started a new hardcore gym routine and wasn't expecting to be able to walk for the next 2 days and i was ok, a little achy but not in pain.

it's not the cheapest shake but it works for me. i think the maximuscle diet shake is practically identical and easier to get hold of.
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have Labrada Pro V 60 in chocolate. I looked at loads of different ones before I choose this one. It has the highest protein content and lowest carbs I could find. It is also low in sugar and full of other nutrients. I have it in my porridge after strength training.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I love protein shakes they're so versatile, you can drink them with any liquid you like, mix them in porridge, yoghurts ice cream whatever. I use optimum nutrition 100% gold standard whey. I've had the french vanilla and strawberry which both mix really thick with milk and the Rocky Road which is a little thinner but tastes like a cheat
    http://www.onacademy.co.uk/gold-standard-100-whey
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Your DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) isnt related to intake, its the fact that you're moving your muscles in ways that causes tears to your muslce fibres. Embrace your DOMS. Also, protein is protein, once digested, theres not much difference between turkey and whey
  • Sophiepoo
    Sophiepoo Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I use Whey protein from myprotein.com also and add it to smoothies in the morning and after weights in the evening. I was using the Whey promax from Holland and Barrett but it was a bittt expensive and it doesn't taste as nice with just water, as the Vanilla whey protein from myprotein! protein protein and another protein for good measure.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I use one by Nutrisport (Google it - they sell online). It's a bit tasteless but I usually add other flavours - handful of frozen berries straight out of the freezer is great post-workout to cool you down and get that protein hit.

Another option is good old-fashioned milk!

There was a show on TV last week (BBC - with Cherry Healey but can't remember the name). They tested post-workout recovery drinks with a rugby team. Those who had a branded sports drink were aching the next day. The second group had a glass of milk each - next day they had no aches and blood tests showed their muscles had recovered better. Think it might still be on iPlayer.
  • Perixi
    Perixi Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I use my protein too I got a few samples to see what ones were nice and then bought a big bag of the latte flavour its lovely!
  • sportsciencegirl
    sportsciencegirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use PhD Diet Whey Protein - vanilla or chocolate

I was suggested it by a guy who was my personal trainer for a while! He has trained many top athletes (including Amir Khan) and so I trusted him

I love it after a workout! Mix some carbs in there and it will help build muscle and aid recovery!

Of course a proper source of protein from food is much better imo, but I don't usually have the time to make a small meal post workout, or to even eat it - that's why it's handier for me to have the protein shake.

Make sure you have some carbs with your protein shake (preferably carb in food form)