Speed vs Weight loss

Options
josh0403
josh0403 Posts: 15 Member
Runner’s World says that for every pound you lose, you run a 2 second faster mile. In races, this equates to:

Pounds lost: 2
5k (-12.4 sec); 10k (-25 sec); half marathon (-52 sec); marathon (-1min45sec)
Pounds lost: 5
5k (-31 sec); 10k (-1min2sec); half marathon (-2min11sec); marathon (-4min22sec)
Pounds lost: 10
5k (-1min2sec); 10k (-2min4sec); half marathon (-4min22sec); marathon (-8min44sec)
Pounds lost: 20
5k (-2min4sec); 10k (-4min8sec); half marathon (-8min44sec); marathon (-17min28sec)

I know there’s more to getting faster than just weighing less, but this is still pretty encouraging to me!

Replies

• barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    @ jashwarg - I love the post. Obviously training would be another factor. :tongue:
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Josh,

Prevous articles said 5 pound equals 5 minutes fast in the marathon. I think it pretty acurate from my times and my weight loss.
  • mlachance9
    mlachance9 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Weight loss only helps you get faster to a certain point, then you need to incorporate some type of speed work to get faster beyond that point.

When I trained for my first half I gained 5 lbs and had gotten faster and now I'm training for my 3rd, lost 14 lbs so far and have not gotten faster. So losing weight may help, but not always.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    That's cool! At least I know training hard works just as well considering I haven't lost a pound since my first 5k but still dropped my time considerably.
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I've run 2 half marathons and did better the second time and I ran the second one a few pounds heavier.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I know there's plenty of variables involved (training, etc.) but I've been able to take about 1 minute off my marathon time for every pound I lost.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Dropping lbs. helps for sure, but it is hard to quantify pounds into pace per mile.

I've dropped tons of time off my PRs without losing weight and I've dropped my PRs after losing weight.
  • josh0403
    josh0403 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I wasn't implying that to run faster, a person only needs to lose weight!

Consider this:
    Strap a 25 pound backpack on and run a mile.
    Now take it off and run another mile.
    Which is faster?

Given the same level of training, you'll run faster when carrying less weight.

As I'm training for another marathon, I find it encouraging that not only am I running intervals and tempo runs to cut my time down, I'm also trying to drop some extra pounds. I'd like to think I'm getting faster in every way possible (and that is the line of thought that helps me skip the morning donuts!).
  • biobreak
    biobreak Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This right here is my motivation. My marathon PR before having my son was 4:06. Afterwards - and 10 pounds heavier - it's 4:21. Thanks for the good reminder
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    I wasn't implying that to run faster, a person only needs to lose weight!

Consider this:
    Strap a 25 pound backpack on and run a mile.
    Now take it off and run another mile.
    Which is faster?

Given the same level of training, you'll run faster when carrying less weight.

As I'm training for another marathon, I find it encouraging that not only am I running intervals and tempo runs to cut my time down, I'm also trying to drop some extra pounds. I'd like to think I'm getting faster in every way possible (and that is the line of thought that helps me skip the morning donuts!).

Exactly. Like your thinking.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Im slowly bulking whilst marathon training, nothing significant, about a kg since starting training, im also getting faster....
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    That certainly sounds great and would seem reasonable. If that formula works, 20 lbs would get me under 3 hrs. But I have my doubts. You still gotta train like a mofo to get that fast and sustain it for 3 hours.
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Runner’s World says that for every pound you lose, you run a 2 second faster mile. In races, this equates to:

Pounds lost: 2
    5k (-12.4 sec); 10k (-25 sec); half marathon (-52 sec); marathon (-1min45sec)
    Pounds lost: 5
    5k (-31 sec); 10k (-1min2sec); half marathon (-2min11sec); marathon (-4min22sec)
    Pounds lost: 10
    5k (-1min2sec); 10k (-2min4sec); half marathon (-4min22sec); marathon (-8min44sec)
    Pounds lost: 20
    5k (-2min4sec); 10k (-4min8sec); half marathon (-8min44sec); marathon (-17min28sec)

I know there’s more to getting faster than just weighing less, but this is still pretty encouraging to me!

This is definitely something to think about! Thanks for the information!
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    bump