Metformin

Options
Hi I just joined this group and was hoping I could get some advice. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 3 or 4 years ago. Started TTC about 9/10 months ago, not so serious about it at the start though. I finally got pregnant but had a miscarriage early december 2011 at 8 weeks.
I'm trying to lose weight now-am 210 and 5'4 atm but am finding it soooo hard. Type 2 diabetes also runs in my family. I have periods pretty much every month but have just started tracking them to see the cycle length. My doctors never mentioned metformin but whenever I look up about PCOS online people seem to be taking it, or its mentioned as being good.
Should I go to the doctor and ask for it?? I'm really desperate to concieve again.
Thank you for any advice x

Replies

• mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    The doctors had me take Metaformin until I was 3 months pregnant, then they switched it to a different medicine for Gestational Diabetes. I'm so sorry for your loss. But I can say there are studies that help a PCOS woman not have a miscarriage if she is on Metaformin.
  • chipaddict
    Options
    Thanks, I think I'm going to make a doctors appointment tomorrow and try and get him to perscribe me it.
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I think I'm going to make a doctors appointment tomorrow and try and get him to perscribe me it.

Just remember that when you take it always eat something with it. Taking it on an empty stomach can cause Diarrhea.
  • MegSaddler
    Options
    Hi, new to the group. I've had pcos for yrs, but now that we're TTC they put me on metformin. I've already lost 22 lbs. The doc said that btwn the metformin and birth control pill (for the added hormones) my metabolism should reset and with that my cycle with regulate. Its only been 3 months but it seems to be working.

Its disappointing to have to wait for the green light to be able to "try" but in the long run I'll be better off. You should definitely talk to your doc about the metformin. Maybe ask for a lipid pannel too, because they found out my PCOS was causing dangerously high triglycerides and I would have never found out otherwise. Apparently it all goes hand in hand.
  • chipaddict
    Options
    I did read that lots of people having stomach upsets with it.
    Sooo, update. I went to the doctors and he said he's happy to put me onto it, but I had to have a blood test first to check my glucose. I don't really know why, to check for diabetes I think. Tests have come back all clear! So next Tuesday will be getting my perscription then onto babyville! (I hope) :D
  • MegSaddler
    Options
    I was really nauseated the first few weeks on metformin, but if you can stick it out its SOO worth it. I've dropped 25lbs in 3 months and the doc says as soon as my numbers are down I should be able to start trying again. You're on your way to babyville. :)
  • speechsteff
    speechsteff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been on metformin for over 10 years and through 2 pregnancies. I take it for about 3 months into the pregnancy. I had gestational diabetes with both pregnancies and was insulin dependent. I am thinking of having a 3rd. child now. Start the metformin slowly- 1 pill at a time till you get used to it. And take it with something to eat! Good luck!
  • bbaldwin08
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am new to the group but I wanted to jump in on the conversation. I was diagnosed with PCOS about a year ago. Initially my doctor prescribed metformin and suggested I lose weight before we started any fertility help (like Clomid). I tried the metformin but it made me so sick to my stomach that I stopped. Now reading your stories I feel like I should give it a try again. Maybe I didn't give it long enough. I joined MFP in January and have lost 17 pounds thus far. My husband and I aren't actively TTC but we're not preventing it either :wink: It's nice to be in a group with ladies who are going through the same thing I am!
  • chipaddict
    Options
    Starting it slowly sounds like a great idea-I think I'll mention it to my doctor, thanks. My stomach tends to be a bit sensetive. Talking to my mum I've found out she's on it! For diabetes though. Luckily she hasn't had side effects. It's great to hear that others have had sucess while taking it.
    Well done on your weight loss bbaldwin08. Obviously i don't know about metformin yet, but I had side effects when I used to take fluoxetine and they subsided after a while. But my side effects were irritating rather than unbearable. Good luck to you.
    And well done Meg! It would be great if it could help with my weight loss, though you must have put in a lot of hard work as well! 25lb, wow.
    Feels like Tuesday can't come quick enough!
  • greenmonkeybee
    greenmonkeybee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, definitely take metformin with a meal. My doctor started me at 425mg (1/2 a pill) a day for a week and then up to 850mg (1 pill) a day. Only have trouble if I wait too long to take it after I eat. :)