Suggestions/advise pleas

Options
I am 39 years old and have been diabetic for 25 years. Though I feel like a pin cushion most days, I have had very few issues with being diabetic. That is until last month. Last month, I had 3 really low blood sugar spells (slurring words really bad, couldn't control my limbs, etc) luckily my son was home and was able to get sugar in me to get my blood sugar up. I have a Dr. appointment today to discuss my sugars. But I'm trying to figure out how to balance working out, eating and insulin.

Yesterday my sugars were on the low side all day. I was actaully scared to go to bed (my really low sugar spells happen at night while I'm sleeping). At supper time (5:49p) my sugar was 77. Since I was working out I only gave myself a 1/2 dose of insulin (humalog) (oh and I cut back my lantus again....before the 1st spell last month was taking 35 units at supper, but dropped it to 32, last night I only took 30 of it)....at 9:54p after working out and a snack, my sugar was 87.....So I eat a service of vanilla cupcake goldfish crackers, since i was afraid of another low blood sugar spell I eat 6 glucose tablets.....Set my alarm and checked my sugar at 12:45...it was 328....i know that is way to high but i left it alone and didn't take any more insulin....just reset the alarm...at 3:30 it was down to 187.....at 6:21 it was down to 86.....had i not eaten as much as i did, i'm 99% sure I would have had another slurring, sweaty, etc morning (and my poor son would have been late for school again and me late for work).....

Does anyone have a suggestion what i can do to keep from crashing in the morning besides "over eating" before bed?
Also, any suggestions of how to get the balance between how much insulin to take to off set working out?

I really want to lose weight and am getting stressed about it.....Hoping my doctor will have some answers today too but know sometimes those of us who live with this know better then the doctors how to handle it.

Replies

• Diana0924
    Options
    follow up....dr said i'm doing the right things. he just suggested that I lower how much lantus I am taking to try to prevent the really low spells
  • KLK1986
    Options
    Are you taking Lantus only in the evening? I am using a pump now but I used to take Lantus and I had to split my dose because taking it all at once made me low. I took about 40% of my dose in the morning (about 7am) and 60% in the evening (about 7pm). Lantus can cause wicked lows. Another option might be to talk to your endocrinologist about switching to Levemir. It's supposed to be 'flatter' and not cause lows the way Lantus can.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I used to be on Lantus and made the switch to Levemir (I had several issues with it) and I respond much better. It may be worth a try..
  • Diana0924
    Options
    Thanks, If i continue to have the issues with the low due to the Lantus I will definately ask the dr about the Levemir.

I take Humalog with breakfast, lunch and supper, and take lantus at supper also.
  • tarakay84
    Options
    Did ur Dr tell u to keep decreasing every couple of days if its still low?

That's what my Dr has me do until I'm in a better range. He has me back 3 units every two days until better.

I'm fixing to switch to pump so I won't be on lantus much longer.
  • lindsaybherrera
    lindsaybherrera Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My doc had me increase my Lantus dosage and decrease my meal-time insulin. I switched to Apidra for meal-time, which has no tail. This helped me get around my unpredictable lows, but mine were during the day. When pregnant, I had trouble at night - going low in the middle of the night. Usually eating something high in protein before bed helped.
  • Diana0924
    Options
    The last month since lowering my Lantus has been much better. I also try to eat cheese or something else with protein in it as part of my evening snack to help keep my sugars more stable at night.

Thanks for your suggestions and advise.