Crosstrainers vs. running shoes.

Options
jaszmyn
jaszmyn Posts: 66 Member
I have some Nike running shoes, which are super lightweight. I have been working out in these shoes, but all this jumping in TF has my ankles, calves and the back of my leg super sore these days. So I guess there is a real difference in cross trainers vs. running shoes. I am on my way TODAY to get some crosstrainng shoes. any suggestions? I hope this will help with the soreness.

Replies

• godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't have crosstrainers. I bought Nike Air Pegasus 28 because I like to run as well. They're super light but they have a lot of support so they're suitable if I am jumping around a lot lol
  • IcassI
    IcassI Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I had to go buy cross trainers. My running shoes really hurt my feet. My feet feel much better now that I am wearing the cross trainers.
  • godricshollow
    Options
    Oh yeah definitely, if your feet are hurting then by all means :D I had the opposite problem, lol. My crosstrainers didn't support the arch in my foot enough. Crosstrainers are MUCH easier though, I am just a poor uni student so I can't afford a second pair of exercise shoes :embarassed:
  • Sweeterescape
    Options
    I saw a live web chat with Chalene the other day, and someone asked this question. She said to tell the person at the store that you're doing a workout like basketball (jumping, lateral movement, etc) and to get a good insole to go with it!

I have really good insoles and a "jump mat" shock absorber mat so that all helps I think!
  • seesaey
    seesaey Posts: 231
    Options
    I'm so glad that your feet are feeling better already! I was going barefoot, but Chalene said on her webcast that's a big NO NO and my knees were hurting a little on Fire 55, so I'm going to wear my shoes again. I have Nike Free Run (which I use for TF and running).
  • jaszmyn
    Options
    Thanks. Thats a great tip sweeterescape. I have never thought about a jump mat, but maybe I will try it, and a insole will probably do the trick as well. Seems like my Nike running shoes, although they are very light, the sole is not thick enought to absorb the shock of the jumps.

Went shoe shopping yesterday, didn't find anything that i especially liked, but I was short on time. I will try again next weekend, and in the meantime, just stick with the running shoes. My feet don't really hurt, but my calf muscles are just very sore and the back of my legs. But that may just be the intensity of the workout. Thanks ladies for your wonderful tips.
  • Helen_Ch
    Helen_Ch Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have been using my Brooks running sneakers and they seem to work fine, but I went and tried on tons of different cross-trainers. I didn't like any of them! Nike runs way too narrow for me and the other brands were very uncomfortable. So I'm sticking with my running sneakers and will just make sure I change them out when the padding in them wears down.
  • gobichick
    Options
    I'm so glad that your feet are feeling better already! I was going barefoot, but Chalene said on her webcast that's a big NO NO and my knees were hurting a little on Fire 55, so I'm going to wear my shoes again. I have Nike Free Run (which I use for TF and running).

I watched the video you put up of you working out and I couldn't believe that you could do that workout barefoot! I couldn't even imagine do any of the turbo fire workouts without shoes...I was impressed actually! haha
  • seesaey
    seesaey Posts: 231
    Options
    I forgot to mention that my shoes are the minimalist shoes, but I bought an extra insole for them to support my arch. I don't think I could have a shoe that doesn't have a supportive sole in them!
  • godricshollow
    Options

I did the HIIT 20 today barefoot... mostly because I find I can't twist enough on the carpet when I wear my shoes :( My knees felt much more free and I was able to move a bit better, though for the longer videos and more higher intensity I will def be using my shoes.
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I haven't been wearing shoes when I do Turbo Jam. Is that a bad thing?
  • jaszmyn
    Options
    I can't see how You have been going barefoot. But I guess if your knees allow it, all the jumping and such. It takes a little getting used to. I work out in the living room (hard wood floors), so i guess thats the only reason i NEED shoes. but maybe your environment is different. Good luck.
  • SCPSL05
    SCPSL05 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I wear Nike shox and they are great for pivoting and for jumping. I need a new pair actually. Off to the Nike outlet I go (only $85 there)!
  • maranatha777
    Options
    I need new shoes too but for the ones that are having trouble pivoting on the carpet a great (and cheap) remedy is to put some packing tape on the bottom of your shoes. I did this on the ball of the shoe (toe area) and it has helped so much!
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I stopped wearing shoes because I couldn't move in them. I have carpet on my floors so it was making it really hard to do the moves right. I'm also just doing Turbo Jam right now and I know that's not as hard as Fire.

I like the idea of just using packing tape on the bottom of your shoes! I think I will try it since I feel like I should be wearing shoes now! =P