How well is your husband supporting your fitness goals?

Options
Ksumare
Ksumare Posts: 62 Member
My Husband was completely supportive the first week of my healthy journey, now I feel like I am annoying him with all of the weight loss talk, healthy meals, and personal time for exercise. My hubby is a meat n' potato man so all this healthy eating seems to be more than he bargained for. Anyone else face this?

Replies

• TiredandReadyForLoss
    TiredandReadyForLoss Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My husband is meat and potato also! I have 50 pounds to lose and have lost 11 of them in the past 2 weeks. Sometimes I feel bad for him because we finish dinner and it looks like he is looking for more food. There are times that he eating chocolate and offers me some or like last night he offered me one of his onion rings and I think.....seriously??? I tell him that he likes me a little chunky and he just laughs. (But I think it's the truth!) I just keep praying and sometimes don't do that nearly as much as I should. Maybe we can be prayer partners? Have a great weekend.... Kim :)
  • davists
    davists Posts: 67
    Options
    When I ask my husband what he would like for dinner his answer is "Meat and potatos and one had better be fried!"
    He started loosing wt shortly after I started and he has lost more than me without working at it. He eats a low fat breakfast and lunch(not healthy just lower in fat) eats what he wants for dinner, doesn't follow any diet on the weekends and does not exercise. I count every calorie that goes in my mouth 24/7 and exercise almost everyday. Some how that does not seem quite fair!!! Oh well, he tries to be supportive but doesn't understand that its not as easy for me.

Thanks for starting this group. I hope we can support each other with prayer and encouragement and together we can reach our goals.:flowerforyou:

Have a blessed day, Tammy
  • joan41
    joan41 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My husband is extremely supportive. We started this journey together in July 2010, He lost weight, but then started back drinking drinks. He has not got back to where he was but he is still trying. One thing that I know about my husband is that he is not going to grocery shop, and he is not going to cook. So I know that it's on me. He may but himself a soda from the machine, but He gets 1975 calories just for waking up. I try to fix his breakfast every morining. A 2 egg omlet with white wheat toast blueberries/strawberries or some other fresh fruit. I fix his lunch. And most of the time he eats after we do at night. He will at times workout with me, but he would rather do the wii boxing or bowling, which is exercise. He sees the benefits. I have been blessed with a GREAT husband. Sure he has his moments, and believe it or not I know I have mine. But overall he is supportive!!
  • chefswife_00
    Options
    Thanks for inviting me to this group. My hubby is super supportive. I've been trying this weight loss thing for quite some time and he's always been there.. He would always tell me not to do it for him, but for myself. He loves me unconditionally .(sweet) He lost weight last year, and is still losing weight. I hinted that I was going to be the only fatty in the family, but he gently reminded me that just walking would help me alot. Although he's an exec chef, he has found ways to make out meals much healthier around the house (but still tastier than mine could ever be!) He doesn't deprive himself (he's meat and potatoes to the core), but has tweeked his eating...pepsi max instead of pepsi , less red meat and he's always been a big water drinker anyway. Blessed to have him as my hubby!
  • Karenlaw30
    Options
    My ex was easy to lose weight also he would losing tiring to figure:grumble: out a math problem and i blamed him for me gaining over 120lbs during our marriage just because i couldn't turn down anything but my collar:laugh:..It up to us to make up our mind we going to live a healthier life....I take it you are a praying women I'm going to let you in on my prayer over my food before i eat; LORD that you for delivery me from a spirit of GLUTTONY thank you Father for now i eat to live and not live to eat thank you teaching me how to be healthy I will live a long healthy life Amen..When we are weak God is Strong
  • Melanie828
    Options
    My husband said I can loose if I want but the meals need to stay the same he doesn't see the need. He does the grocery shopping and most cooking as I work overnights and sleep till 7;30 in The evenings. I have just decided I will cut portions and increase my exercise to try to loose, and a lot of prayer. I have had 6 children and find it hard to get the pounds off and I need to due to the fact I am now diabetic. I weigh 150 and my goal is to lose 25 lbs. by August and my nieces wedding.
  • ACIC
    ACIC Posts: 7
    Options
    My husband is very supportive of my fitness goals. He’s more concerned about my health than anything; I know that I have to eat healthy to be healthy. He encourage me by suggesting we take walks together and will even will help prepare my meals.
  • Ksumare
    Ksumare Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I would love to be prayer partners. I think my husband secretly likes me a chunky too. Well its not a secret, he openly admits it! He just hates when my self esteem gets really low, thats when it bothers him. Ihave cut out all sweeets but oooooooooooooo last night, my grandfather turned 92 and girls someone bought a red velvet cheesecake. I almost slapped everybody in the room. I swear the cheescalke was calling my name. So I took one small forkfull and then didn't look back. This morning I woke up guilty and put in 2.4 miles on the pavement....sweet retribution!
  • naturallyhazel
    naturallyhazel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My hubby is kind of supportive because he too is overweight and wants to shed a few pounds. But he's not as dedicated as I am at this moment. He knows he has to do it but if I fry chicken on any given night he won't stop me but will eat til his heart & stomach is content. LOL. I just have to do this for myself at the moment and pray that he sees the urgency in a healthy lifestyle for our household. We just have to pray them through this...and ourselves that we will hold firm, be unmovable, and not annoying ;-)
  • vegagirl2012
    Options
    My husband is real supportive. Actually he started his weight loss journey first & had been trying to get me on board. He told me about this site back in December as he is a member on here but I wasn't really ready to do it till now. He's been seeing a personal trainer & going to the gym each week as well. My husband is a meat & potato man but he has changed things up. He is eating less meat now & is eating more baked fish & he likes baked potatoes or baked sweet potatoes now. I kept talking about how unhappy I was with my body & he told me that he loves me the way I am but that if I am unhappy about it do something about it. I was like, he's right! I started seeing my husband lose weight & I try to change the way I cook & grocery shop for us now & not just him anymore. I'll be starting my sessions with his personal trainer next week. I'm glad that I have someone cheering me on as I am cheering him on as well & we are reaching our goals together.
  • heaven_511
    heaven_511 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    My husband has been supportive of my journey for the most part, but he does have his moments when he get tired of my weight loss talk and my work out schedule. That's because it takes time away from me spending time with him. My situation is a little unique. I'm in the Army and I'm currently stationed in away from my family. So I am able to eat healthy and work out without having the pressure of keeping the husband and kids happy. However, I'll be back with the family within the next two months. So my plan is to lose these last 12 lbs before I get home. That way I can just focus on maintaining. Once I get back home, I have big plans for the hubby! He's diabetic and has some weight to lose, but he doesn't eat health at all. He's more of a meat n potatoes and chocolate kind of guy :-D. I'm looking forward to making this journey a f amily affair! So pray for me Saints!!!
  • VivianRosie
    VivianRosie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    LORD that you for delivery me from a spirit of GLUTTONY thank you Father for now i eat to live and not live to eat thank you teaching me how to be healthy I will live a long healthy life Amen..When we are weak God is Strong
  • VivianRosie
    VivianRosie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love this prayer! One of my scriptures is 1John 2:16
    "For the world offers only the lust for physical pleasure, the lust for everything we see, and pride in our possessions. These are not from the Father. They are from this evil world. " NLT

I see my excessive craving for food as a lust for physical pleasure and lust for every yummy food I see. I am trying to let God train me to crave Him and His Word in place of the space given to food.

As for my husband, he wants me to lose weight, so he is supportive, but he complains about the time I spend on MFP. It still takes me quite a while to log everything and I have not learned the tricks yet. I am frustrated because of all the searching and sorting through which food in the database to log.:grumble: I know it will get easier, but getting my recipes and foods all in is taking some time!
  • vegagirl2012
    Options
    I love this prayer! One of my scriptures is 1John 2:16
    "For the world offers only the lust for physical pleasure, the lust for everything we see, and pride in our possessions. These are not from the Father. They are from this evil world. " NLT

I see my excessive craving for food as a lust for physical pleasure and lust for every yummy food I see. I am trying to let God train me to crave Him and His Word in place of the space given to food.

As for my husband, he wants me to lose weight, so he is supportive, but he complains about the time I spend on MFP. It still takes me quite a while to log everything and I have not learned the tricks yet. I am frustrated because of all the searching and sorting through which food in the database to log.:grumble: I know it will get easier, but getting my recipes and foods all in is taking some time!

Don't worry. You'll get the hang of it. :flowerforyou:
  • GeorgiaDaughter
    GeorgiaDaughter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! My husband is supportive of me losing weight. He pushes me to work a little harder, and has even researched some weight loss info for me. My problem is when it comes to cooking. My husband is not into the healthier version of our meals and neither are the kids for that matter, lol. I have to end up cooking meals 2 different ways some nights. Other then the meals, he is supportive:)
  • LisamarieBond14
    LisamarieBond14 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My Riki (partner of almost 3.5 years - practically engaged but saving up through university!) is also striving to lose 50lbs along with me so we are supporting each other and are constantly praising and encouraging each other! I am so blessed!
  • beauchamp4
    Options
    My husband is supportive of me loosing the weight but does not really do anything right now to help encourage me. He has lost weight since we have moved back to his home state but he has been busy redoing our house, where I am sitting at his moms house with our kids. The weather has been very iffy off and on since we have been here so I really don't get the chance to go walking. I have a lot of laziness in me too. After I had our youngest daughter I got PPD(Post-par-tum depression), so that is when I gained all my weight. My husband and I have had many issues along the way and I am an emtional eater so none of that has helped, but I have two big events coming up and I need to do something. Whether he supports me through it or not something has to give. I am always looking down on myself and I am tired of feeling this way. So here I am going to try MFP to see if I can get it. Good luck ladies!!