Do any of you TTW run?

Options
beccyleigh
beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
I go to a gym & really enjoy brisk walking on the treadmill as part of my cardio & core routine but every time I try to run find myself losing balance & also getting tired out in my limbs very quickly.

I always maintain I'm too bloody tall to run, I was quite at good long distance at school as it was a slower pace & in large open space but just think I am way to big (tall & gangly) to run effectively on a treadmill (confined space).

So would be interested to hear opinions from other amazons, can you run or are us tall chicks just not made that way? :huh:

Replies

• Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to adjust to running on a treadmill... i definitely felt off balance for a while, but the more i did it the easier it became. That being said, i'd run outside any day over running on the "dreadmill"!
  • Jenn152
    Jenn152 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    i do run/walk interval runs on my treadmill. i only run for a minute or two at a time (im not one for long distances) so my treadmill is just fine for me. i do sometimes weave a bit... cant seem to stay right in the middle of the track lol
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I always feel off-balance on the treadmill too. I wonder if it has something to do with interrupting your natural stride. I always feel like I am chasing the belt, rather than running naturally. I wonder if being tall makes you have a longer natural stride than what the treadmill gives you. Does that make sense? I always do much better outside and would rather not run if I have to do it on a treadmill.
  • loseiteli
    loseiteli Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    being tall makes you have a longer natural stride than what the treadmill gives you.

^^I agree with this! I love running/jogging outside, but put me on a treadmill (or dreadmill as was mentioned above) and I cannot stand up straight! haha. I think that it has everything to do with my stride. :)
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I am so glad this isn't just me.
  • CVALGAL
    CVALGAL Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have tried to do the C25K but so far it has only made my knees swell from the running. So I am walking only til I drop enough weight for it not to put so much strain on my knees. I've lost 20 so far. I'm thinking drop another 10 then I will give it another try. Because I want to run so bad! I had a dream last night that I was running and I was light on my feet and it felt so easy!
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I used to be an avid runner prior to multiple injuries and did distance running at that time. Now, I'm more of a quick burst of high-intensity runner so I do HIIT with 5/9 or 5/9.5 intervals. It takes an adjustment to run on a treadmill if you're used to running outside/on a track and vice versa, but if you have the desire to run, you can do so. Just takes some work to get to that point
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I started running in July. I worked my way through couch 2 5K and now I'm working through couch 2 10K. Before now, I never thought I could run. Now I can run for 40 mins without stopping. The couch25K programme is amazing. It may sound a little corny, but running has changed my life.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I also think that the threadmill is hard because I have a very long stride.

When I used to run in the military, I had such a hard time in formation runs, because I had to cut my stride short so that I didnt move ahead of formation...that really messed up my knees. I can imagine thats the same problem I have with a threadmill.

Even when Im walking people complain to me to slow down, even though Im barely doing anything...takes them like 2 steps for my one.
  • Jenn152
    Jenn152 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Even when Im walking people complain to me to slow down, even though Im barely doing anything...takes them like 2 steps for my one.

me too! it doesnt help that many of my friends are miniature... so many of my friends are about 5'1-5'4 on a good day. and i live in chicago... so we walk everywhere! lol they hate me~
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I always hated running when I was younger, but I just started the C25K on Monday and I'm totally excited. so far no pain or swelling. I don't see myself running marathons or anything, but burning a few more calories in a normal workout sounds good to me, so long as there's no adverse side effects!
  • trishajo82
    trishajo82 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym & really enjoy brisk walking on the treadmill as part of my cardio & core routine but every time I try to run find myself losing balance

I am SO glad I am not the only one!! I just posted over on another thread about my balance/treadmill woes!! Even when I was in 100x better shape and 100lb lighter I still could NOT keep my balance while trying to do anything more than a walk on the treadmill.

I am now in my second week of C25K and last night I swear I had to grab the "oh *kitten*" handles on the treadmill about three times because I kept about falling!! Thank GAWD I run on my treadmill at home versus at a gym - how embarrassing!

I even thought maybe I had an inner ear infection or that maybe my hips were out making my legs uneven... maybe it's just my height???:embarassed: Either way, it's not going to get me off track with my C25K, it's gotten better the past 2 weeks so maybe within a few more weeks I'll get the treadmill thing down and not be trying to kill myself each workout! :smokin:

WEIRD
  • jenniferhe
    jenniferhe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think running can be a tall person thing. I agree with the other ladies though that it may be the treadmill is possibly to short for your stride? Running on a treadmill can take some getting use to as well. I prefer out side but it's cooling off to much to where I do need to use the treadmill at the gym. I hope you can figure it out if you really want to be a runner.
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I just completed C25K. I can't believe how much I missed running! Now, at 261lbs, I am running 4k which takes me about 34 min. I'm slow, but its a start! I can't wait to go faster and farther! I'd like to do a 10k by March/April!
  • femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Over the summer I started the Couch to 5K program and now I'm actually enjoying running! I can run for 25 minutes without stopping to walk...a major accomplishment for me! I think that the main reason so many people think they can't run is because they start off way too fast and then get discouraged. The C25K program allows you to start by jogging only 60 seconds at a time and slowly builds you up to greater distances.

I by no means run fast...I keep about an 11.5 minute mile pace and that is just fine for me :) I am currently signed up to run my first half marathon in May 2012 and I am so excited!
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I have always felt off balance even walking, let alone running on a treadmill. In this latest attempt at getting in shape i have had 3 days so far when i have done any running at all, and i think the longest was a total of 10 minutes with walks between each minute... i have always held the theory if im running something had better be chasing me (i swam in highschool... note no running).... but i figure i eventually need to start running to be able to do what i need to do this round....
  • edith318
    edith318 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My entire family is tall (they're the only ones I'll wear heels around) and we actually run half marathons as a family sometimes. I'm one of the shortest at 5'11", but my brother (6'5") has complained about treadmills being too short for his stride. I remember him walking me through the rec center when I came to college and pointing out the treadmills that were actually long enough. Running outside is one of my favorite activities though, even if I am painfully slow. :)
  • angebrun
    angebrun Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K, and I'm doing okay on the treadmill- I think it depends on your stride.

I have a harder time in group fitness classes not clocking someone in the head when I swing my arms :)
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I just started running and am up to running an hour at a time. I however, run outside around a lake here in my city. I can't do it on the treadmill.. not sure why. I never really had a hard time doing it though but running outside seems so much easier!
  • austindog2
    austindog2 Posts: 128
    Options
    I started running last summer and LOVED it... however, when I started on the treadmill over winter break, I pretty much immediately injured my right knee! I just started physical therapy this week and I'm stuck in a constricting knee brace for 6 weeks.. I can't wait to get back to running!