My first 15K tomorrow morning!

Options
DianaV86
DianaV86 Posts: 146 Member
The title says it all! I will doing the Gasparilla 15K tomorrow in Tampa, FL. This is my first race that is longer than 5K and I have been doing Hal Higdon's 15K training plan.

I will be doing walk/run intervals and my goal is less than 2 hours! I'm so nervous and excited!

Now my silly, inexperienced question:

The will have pace groups...for most of the race I want to stick with the 11:30/mile pace group. If I am doing walk/run intervals, will I eventually fall behind and lose track of the pace group? Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm doing a 5 mile run tomorrow in snowy, cold Wisconsin. Wish I was running in Florida instead!

You may fall a bit to the back of your pace group during your walk intervals but if they are sticking to their pace you should stay with them when you're back to running.
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Have fun! I did that half 2 years ago, great race.
  • trlrnrgrl
    trlrnrgrl Posts: 80
    Options
    Hey, very awesome!! I'm excited for you and wish you a great, fun, happy race! Make sure to post a race report next week so we'll all know how it went.

I wouldn't worry much about the pace group. I think pace groups are mainly more for racers' convenience so you can know if you are staying on pace, or ahead or behind without having to constantly check your watch. If you end up getting behind the pace group, no one will notice. It's going to be just like your 5ks - it'll just be a big stream of runners going by.

Have a great time!
  • sunleigh
    sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    good luck!!!! have a ball!!!!! and enjoy!
    let us know how it goes!
  • sakamanojr
    sakamanojr Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You should be yo-yoing with the pace group. Ask them if they are a walk-run group because if they are then just follow right on their schedule. Have a blast and relax :)
  • trlrnrgrl
    trlrnrgrl Posts: 80
    Options
    Hey Junebug, I hope you had a great race yesterday!