Ideas for "packed lunch" for work needed

Options
Going back to work soon and of course plan to take lunch with me - to avoid paying over the odds for some crap while out.

Any good ideas for packed lunch?

Eggs and fish are out of question as they tend to ermmmm smell.

I do not eat bread (at all).

Need some ideas for pasta salada, cous cous salads or anything else that is quick/cheap/easy to make the day before, does not smell, does not leak from the box when transported...

???????

Replies

• simples88
    simples88 Posts: 51
    Options
    Pasta, spoon full of green pesto with cherry toms and bit of low fat mozzarella thrown in? Personally I like tuna and half a tin of mixed beans bit of balsamic and pepper and your on a winner plus it doesn't smell too strong and doesn't take much prep.
    If you have a microwave at work just break out the low cal soups.
    Have you tried those low calorie pots of pasta sauce that dolmio make - I think they have 2 servings in so you could add half a pot to cold pasta (hot will absorb all the 'wet') and improvise with some low cal additions...mushrooms, broccoli, toms etc the make it go further

I swear by the aladin bento style lunch boxes. They keep stuff cold, or if you microwave before you leave the house they can keep warm for up to 5ish hours...I have two. I put fruit in the small one and lunch in the large one, they are stackable and one has a handle...look them up. They cost between £12-18 for the set depending on where you buy them from but they are bloody brilliant! Cannot recommend them enough...plus no spillage or smells plus just the right size portion control wise.
  • Anna_43
    Anna_43 Posts: 117
    Options
    Thanks for that :)

Any more ideas?
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    There are a shedload of good recipies on the BBC Good Food website - I use it quite a lot. You end up making things in batches, so if you don't mind eating the same thing say twice in a row or making say enough to serve 4 and freezing what you don't need there's plenty of ideas there.

Have a look at my diary to see the kind of things I take into work.
  • Anna_43
    Options
    Kendrafallon - thanks for that, is your diary open to all? Will have a look, cheers.
  • zoeengland2000
    Options
    I have soup & 2 ryvita every day. I keep the ryvita in my bag. I can recommend sainsburys red pepper, tomato & lentil soup 167 cals for half a tub. Also baxters healthy range minestrone made with whole wheat pasta, about 120 cals a can & baxters healthy range spicy tomato, rice & sweet corn soup about 205 a can... The Ryvita is apptox 40 cals each.m
  • Anna_43
    Options
    Recently discovered New Covent Garden soups range.. some really yummy....
  • Superstar_81
    Superstar_81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Batchelors potato and leek cup a soup with black pepper ryvita is more filling than it sounds! A friensd of mine brings in chicken fillet strips and adds a chilli sauce to them to have in a wrap, looks yummy!
  • mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    New Covent Garden soups are really yummy.

Congrats on getting back into work.
  • Anna_43
    Options
    Thanks re job/.

I never really was a soup person but ... hmmm will see.
  • jodieoh
    jodieoh Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I go through phases of making soup for the week and having that, and making a quick salad for lunch every day. My favourite salad is spinach (or spinach, watercress & rocket), sun dried tomatoes, cooked chicken bits, carrot sticks, a little bit of crumbled up feta cheese, a blob of pesto and a spoon of extra virgin olive oil. My favourite soups are sweet potato or butternut squash and coconut, or curried carrot and parsnip :-) If I make soup, I make it thick and chunky so I feel like I've *eaten* something for lunch rather than just had a hot drink!
  • fozzie500
    fozzie500 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    to avoid leakage,i got one of those plastic boxes with the flaps on all four sides that lock down, i just fill it with lettuce,tomato,cucumber,cottage cheese/pasta/cooked chicken breast/cold gammon.
  • ficklefiend
    Options
    Bento bento! The japanese do lunch so much better than our rubbish soggy sandwiches wrapped in clingfilm. ;) My favourite is tamyagoki or egg-wrapped sushi rice with carrot sticks/asparagus/brocolli some dry fruit, maybe some cucumber pickle or beetroot... whatever is in the fridge basically.

I would love to get my hands on some brown rice for sushi though, as the japanese white stuff must be pretty bad - the grains are so fat and starchy. :)
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Salad leaves, sliced turkey, edamame beans, cherry tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, ryvita thins?
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    A friend sent me this. I didn't make the full 10 portions, but made 7 from it instead, but it was delicious microwave reheated and server over spinach or salad leaves.

"Now I didn't weigh my squash & sweet potato until it was cooked. But it was one butternut squash & 2 big sweet potatoes. I also do a lot, this does 10 portions so reduced accordingly.

- 1kg sweet potato cooked weight
    - 1kg butter nut squash cooked weight
    - 220g pearl barley dried weigh
    - oxo veg stock (I can't remember how much 660ml rings a bell, but it should tell you on the pearl barley packet. Check this!)
    - 25ish French green beans, chopped in half
    - 1 onion chopped or sliced
    - 1 garlic clove, crushed & chopped
    - 1tsp dried chill
    - 1tsp dried rosemary
    - 1tbsp olive oil (normally I wouldn't bother with this but it stopped the pearl barley sticking together)
    - 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    - 1 tbsp honey
    - 1 tbsp whole grain mustard

Now my sweet pot & butternut turned into about 1kg each when cooked. I just peeled, chopped up & boiled/steamed till tender adding the beans for about 3 mins at the end.

In a separate pan, fry the onion & garlic in the oil, add chilli & rosemary, when onion is soft add the pearl barley, coat in oil then add stock, simmer, covered for the allotted time, think mine took 45mins, until all stock is absorbed & barley is tender. Add more water if needed.

For dressing mix vinegar, honey & whole grain. If your honey is thick microwave it all on low for 30 seconds to combine well.

Then I just portioned it up, dividing between 10 recycled bought soup plastic containers. Barley first, then squash, sweet pot & beans, then dressing. Leave to cool then fridge or freezer. Should be ok for 2-3 days in fridge. I had mine heated or cold with mixed lettuce leaves, for a week! About 187 per portion."